Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | meter setting and levels

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Sky TV and the snow.

Old 27-01-2013, 03:18   #1
SallyAmy
Inactive

SallyAmy is an unknown quantity at this point
Sky TV and the snow.

Well as a new Sky customer who was lead to believe if I choose Sky I would be left with no Tv in the snow or heavy rain I can confirm it has been snowing and raining heavily but my Sky tv has been flawless.

Also I was told leaving virginmedia would mean I would have to have a 2mb Internet connection (a virginmedia employee told me all these things when cancelling) I actually get around 78mb from Sky.
SallyAmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-01-2013, 08:15   #2
Dash: CF noob
cf.geek

Services: VM MAXIT TV360 Volt 1gb. SH5 WIN 10 7" Tab, Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
Dash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of societyDash: CF noob is a pillar of society
Re: Sky TV and the snow.

Few sky peeps are affected by snow i know a couple have had problems during the heavy snow Friday night.
Dash: CF noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2013, 08:28   #3
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by SallyAmy View Post
Well as a new Sky customer who was lead to believe if I choose Sky I would be left with no Tv in the snow or heavy rain I can confirm it has been snowing and raining heavily but my Sky tv has been flawless.

Also I was told leaving virginmedia would mean I would have to have a 2mb Internet connection (a virginmedia employee told me all these things when cancelling) I actually get around 78mb from Sky.
I actually left Sky to VM about 10yrs ago ,one of the reasons was down to the poor signal which meant that every time we had heavy rain or snow we lost signal despite visits from engineers ,last year i joined Sky from VM and no issues as yet so maybe Sky have improved the dish and signal strength .As for the BB it all depends on the line to your house some are fibre some are still copper .I get about 5-7 mg our line is due to be upgraded soon so i will get better speeds .

Lesson is don't believe everything a salesman is going to tell you especially where the competition is concerned
Old 27-01-2013, 14:25   #4
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro Sky Talk Sky+HD
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array

I have had no signal issues at all during the recent snowy weather.
Mick Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2013, 15:13   #5
Doz007
cf.geek

Services: VM 200Mb BB, Sky Q Silver 2TB
Doz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Fisher View Post
I have had no signal issues at all during the recent snowy weather.
I'm exactly the same. Happy to report that Sky has been flawless throughout the snowy period.
Doz007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2013, 16:08   #6
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Services: Sky Fibre Unlimited 40/10
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal

Lots of snow here and not a single issue with reception. Massive thunderstorm here last night and no glitches. When switching to Sky TV my main worry was reception in these conditions but now I see they were unfounded worries

Was also told by Virgin I would only get 3mb with another provider when I called up to leave. Could have signed up to 80mb but went for the 40. Getting a steady 37 down and 9 up withh Sky
Qtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2013, 17:38   #7
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro Sky Talk Sky+HD
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array

Reception during weather is exacerbated if your signal is poor to start with. For years my signal was marginal due to line of sight issues with tall trees. Sky put the dish on a mast but it still wasn't good enough and under normal conditions I had short "no signal received" issues now and again. During bad weather I had frequent lengthy "no signal received" issues.

Recently I bit the bullet and got a local installer to move the dish onto the roof of my terrace. It has proved a good investment as I have had zero reception issues since.
Mick Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2013, 18:21   #8
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

ive only come across a few issues relating to weather. storm rainy cloudy problems were sorted by a dish/LNB upgrade and snow a couple of years back was sitting in the way of the LNB-dish, sorted by obviously carefully removing the snow build up.
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2013, 23:02   #9
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Joined SKY 2 weeks ago, no problems with either snow or rain. In fact it's been pretty windy too but still no problem.
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2013, 15:30   #10
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

My daughter had trouble during the snow. So much so that a rewire was deemed to be the answer - Not sure if snow and wire are connected( not literary) or just a coincidence. Quoted £50 to sort out - declined the offer which then went down to £15. Thats before anyone came to sort it out - Which was at the time, booked for 10 days later at an unknown time ( will call 30 minutes before he will come ) Have not seen the work - but she described it as a mess. So much so that she is thinking of calling it a day & just having freeview- No Virgin services in her area.
Old 29-01-2013, 16:01   #11
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

fire an email off to the CEO..

it will like at VM get passed to another senior but youll probably get a better and faster response here. may be something goodwill too. more than the £15 fee paid refunded that is.
Old 29-01-2013, 16:19   #12
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenry View Post
fire an email off to the CEO..

it will like at VM get passed to another senior but youll probably get a better and faster response here. may be something goodwill too. more than the £15 fee paid refunded that is.
Wouldn't help as she's clearly used an independent installer as Sky charge a set £65 call out which includes everything to get you back up and running.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2013, 16:34   #13
thenry
Inactive

prices can vary in every company. where did Itshim say she used third party to sort it out? he said (see bold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
My daughter had trouble during the snow. So much so that a rewire was deemed to be the answer - Not sure if snow and wire are connected( not literary) or just a coincidence. Quoted £50 to sort out - declined the offer which then went down to £15. Thats before anyone came to sort it out - Which was at the time, booked for 10 days later at an unknown time ( will call 30 minutes before he will come ) Have not seen the work - but she described it as a mess. So much so that she is thinking of calling it a day & just having freeview- No Virgin services in her area.
fire off an email as mentioned above.
Old 29-01-2013, 16:38   #14
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenry View Post
prices can vary in every company. where did Itshim say she used third party to sort it out? he said (see bold)
The call out charge is £65 if you decline they'll normally offer it you at half price and many people who hang out get it waived completely but that's purely at Sky's discretion.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2013, 16:43   #15
thenry
Inactive

ok we'll have to wait for Itshim to tell us whether he was talking to Sky or third party ?