Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media revamps its bundles

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media revamps its bundles

Old 02-04-2012, 21:19   #106
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Virgin Media revamps its bundles

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealDiamond View Post
Sorry forgot they are not doing double downloads for every one. will correct it.
Still not right. 20Mbit is going to 60Mbit
Old 02-04-2012, 21:22   #107
jaf1968
Inactive

jaf1968 is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers, I'll call and see what happens

J
jaf1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 21:24   #108
RealDiamond
Inactive

Services: Free^60meg No, Free^30meg Yes, TV M, Phone M. Running Kubuntu 12.04+Chromium Browser On Free laptop
RealDiamond is just really niceRealDiamond is just really niceRealDiamond is just really niceRealDiamond is just really niceRealDiamond is just really niceRealDiamond is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Still not right. 20Mbit is going to 60Mbit
yea was tripple checking when you posted.
Still slow till wednesday. Plus the extra load on this site is not helping
RealDiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 19:08   #109
Nero182
Inactive

Services: VM - VIP Package
Nero182 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am currently paying £106 a month for my Virgin Media Services I am just wondering if I can save some money and gain a TiVo box by moving to the VIP Collection Bundle?

I had 50Mb Broadband but it just got updated in the past few days and I have the Sky Sports & Movies in HD on both boxes.

Nero182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 19:15   #110
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

This is the link to the VIP Collection http://shop.virginmedia.com/bundles/vip.html so it's up to you whether you think its worth changing to
Old 03-04-2012, 20:27   #111
mr.nick
Inactive

mr.nick is an unknown quantity at this point
No Collections if your area is not offering 60Mb BB!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Hope View Post
Does anyone at virgin Media actually know about the new collections, just spent the best part of 30-40 mins on the phone and I don't think I'm being charged right even after that.

I get XL TV, XL phone and XL Broadband, have a V+ box and an extra V box, £13.90 line rental and £6.50 because I have a paper bill and don't pay by direct debit and they are charging me something like £78, apparently this would only be £73 if I had a Tivo, but with £50 install charge.

Just seems a lot higher than it should be and I also don't get why Tivo is cheaper than an older V+ box.

I expected it to be £45 for the Premiere collection, £13.90 for line rental, £6.50 for paper bill/non direct debit and around £5 for talk unlimited instead of talk weekends. That's only around £70.

Also even though my area can get 100Mb apparently they still can't upgrade me to 60Mb even though they put me on the premiere collection.
As I've learned today if you're in an area that hasn't been upgraded for 60Mb BB you cannot get a collection bundle, regardless if you are an existing customer or not.

Was on the phone to retentions today and asked if I could just keep 50Mb BB and get the Premiere Collection price - computer says no

Btw, your bill is more than expected because they've fudged it to give you everything in the collection package except the correct price :roll eyes:
mr.nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 20:31   #112
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Re: No Collections if your area is not offering 60Mb BB!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.nick View Post
As I've learned today if you're in an area that hasn't been upgraded for 60Mb BB you cannot get a collection bundle, regardless if you are an existing customer or not.

Was on the phone to retentions today and asked if I could just keep 50Mb BB and get the Premiere Collection price - computer says no

Btw, your bill is more than expected because they've fudged it to give you everything in the collection package except the correct price :roll eyes:
All areas can get 100Mbit, so not sure why you couldnt get the Collection
Old 03-04-2012, 20:47   #113
mr.nick
Inactive

mr.nick is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
All areas can get 100Mbit, so not sure why you couldnt get the Collection
Yeah, it would seem logical if you can get 100Mb you should be able to get 60Mb but apparently this is not the case. Retentions called me back today to confirm this and have supposedly escalated the issue.
mr.nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:42   #114
Broken Hope
cf.addict

Broken Hope has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.nick View Post
Yeah, it would seem logical if you can get 100Mb you should be able to get 60Mb but apparently this is not the case. Retentions called me back today to confirm this and have supposedly escalated the issue.
I had the same issue, the woman on the phone said the computer wasn't giving her the option to upgrade me to 60Mb, it was offering 100Mb but with a £50 install charge, despite me having a super hub already and it would also come with the additional monthly charge so I declined.
Broken Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:37   #115
Topgun
1 of a 1000!

Services: Ultimate Oomph.
Topgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to allTopgun is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Hope View Post
I had the same issue, the woman on the phone said the computer wasn't giving her the option to upgrade me to 60Mb, it was offering 100Mb but with a £50 install charge, despite me having a super hub already and it would also come with the additional monthly charge so I declined.
Thought I'd let you know what happened to me in case it might help you. I was on the VIP 50 package, but on Saturday, having read about the new collections on this forum, I decided to ring up to see if I could be upgraded to 100Mb straight away, (I know that the speeds are doubling anyway, but for me that isn't due to happen until the end of the year and I thought that as I am paying over £100 per month I'd really rather like it to happen now!). So, I rang up and spoke to someone on the sub-continent who told me I could upgrade to 100Mb but I would need an engineer visit and it would cost me a £49 activation fee. I pointed out that as I already had a Superhub that I didn't think that was correct, but she insisted it was so I politely declined!
Having then thought further about it, I was sure I was right so I rang retentions. A lady there told me that I did not need a engineer visit and there would be no activation fee, but I could not be upgraded to 100Mb because it was not yet available in my area. So I thought that was the end of that, until I read the link helpfully posted by BenMcr in post 16 of this thread which stated that the roll out had been completed across the whole country!
So, back on to retentions to a very helpful lady called Debbie who unfortunately knew less about the new collections than I did. However, after about an hour on the phone with me pointing her in the direction of various pages on the Virgin website (including the link mentioned above) and me listening to tinny music while she read them and then discussed the issues raised with her supervisor, she eventually said those magic words to me "You're right" and upgraded me to 100Mb!
I could only have achieved this because of this forum, whoever it was that originally said "Knowledge is power" was absolutely spot on.
In conclusion, thanks to everyone who takes the time and trouble to post all the helpful information here and if you do have to ring C/S at any time don't assume that what they are telling you is correct, if you have done your research and know you are right, then persevere until you get what you want.
Topgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 14:05   #116
Broken Hope
cf.addict

Broken Hope has disabled reputation

Whilst it's nice to see you finally got a result, it's not really mine, or any other customers job to know more about Virgin's services than their own customer service staff.

I was under the impression that anyone who signed up to these collections were getting the speeds advertised straight away, e.g if a new customer signed up for the premiere collection they were put on 60Mb, so why on earth can't I as an existing customer sign up to the premiere collection and also be put straight onto the 60Mb package, why must I have to wait for the double speed upgrade?
Broken Hope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 14:19   #117
sniper007
Inactive

sniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of light

Can someone explain all of the posts I see of people "upgrading early". I do not understand. My area states that it will be doubled up in speed on broadband between October 2012 and July 2013. But then I read of people that are upgrading from 50 to 100mb early for example, just because they can, because they phoned up and asked as the whole country is already 100mb enabled.

So can I, or can I not, expect to be able to phone up retentions and say make my 50mb become 100mb for free, now?
sniper007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 14:20   #118
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

If there is capacity available then it's possible you may be able to do it. If there isn't then you won't and will have to wait until the upgrade programme happens in your area
Old 04-04-2012, 14:26   #119
sniper007
Inactive

sniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
If there is capacity available then it's possible you may be able to do it. If there isn't then you won't and will have to wait until the upgrade programme happens in your area
This seems ludicrous to me. So basically because I read forums and I am perpared to phone up and try it on, I might be able to get 100mb for potentially over a year earlier than other people in my area? Doesn't seem fair on everyone else.
Thanks for the info Ben though.
So when you talk of capacity...I guess this is dependant on the general take up of virgin media broadband in my area?
sniper007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 14:30   #120
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper007 View Post
So when you talk of capacity...I guess this is dependant on the general take up of virgin media broadband in my area?
Yup and the likely spread of the higher vs lower services etc. Capacity is a bit of an art I don't fully understand

But I have no issue with Virgin limiting the no-cost speed upgrades, as it's better to say no till the upgrades and leave you with working speed, rather than say yes and then have loads of 'it's not going as fast as you said'