Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media revamps its bundles

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media revamps its bundles

Old 30-04-2012, 15:50   #226
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age
SCORE!

I just got a brilliant deal from VM's 'retentions'. (I called them!) Speed tripled to 30mb (and that's it. It won't go to 60 but I'm happy with that!) and a price-drop of about £3 per month. Nice (I didn't ask but I assume the upload speed will triple to 3mb as well.)

Plus they also fully re-itemised my bill; though thinking about it she may have meant just phone calls rather than for all services. Won't be able to confirm that until the next bill arrives.

SuperHub arrives on Wed AM

ETA:
Oh yes, I did have to start a new contract, but who cares!
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-04-2012, 16:00   #227
jempalmer

Services: 500gb Tivo & V+. TV XL, 60MB BB, M Phone.
Re: Virgin Media revamps its bundles

Good luck with the SHub, I had an engineer visit this morning to try and resolve the wireless issues. Think I'll order a router later today
Old 30-04-2012, 16:26   #228
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

After having a superhub for a long time with no issues at all and when I moved house my VMNG300 was used for the new account, I just changed over to 100Mb and had a new Superhub installed on Friday.

So far no issues although due to the think walls, (live in an old tenement building) The WiFi signal drops pretty quickly but so did my netgear router.

However speed tests so far conducted have all come out at about 104Mb and downloads have been 9.8Mbps so I am very happy still.
Old 30-04-2012, 16:29   #229
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by jempalmer View Post
Good luck with the SHub, I had an engineer visit this morning to try and resolve the wireless issues. Think I'll order a router later today
I live in quite a small house with thin walls so don't anticipate much of a problem. We'll see what happens though
Old 30-04-2012, 18:11   #230
boragthung
Inactive

boragthung is an unknown quantity at this point

Got my adding up wrong earlier - my current set up actually comes to 49.90.

Rang up tis morning - first thing was I made sure they were aware of the fact that next doors install is just tapped off my wall so I want that sorted.

I have now upgraded to 60 Mb and will get the Shub on Wednesday. My new payout will be 52.40. I intend to first of all try it out on its own to see if the wireless will connect upstairs.

If the wireless is no good, I think I am right in saying that you can still use the Shub and its ports as normal but disable the wireless part - as opposed to setting it in modem mode which will disable wireless and 3 of the ports?

At the moment I have my downstairs PC hardwired in. The back bedroom upstairs has a modem bridged so that PS3, TV, PC's can be hardwired in to that router. Any laptops and phones connect wirelessly to the downstairs router as well.

If I disble the wireless on the Shub, still use the ports and hardwire my current router via one of its ports (not the wan port I presume) to the shub to create that wirelses bridge will it work as it is or do the settings have to be changed?
boragthung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2012, 18:18   #231
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by boragthung View Post
first thing was I made sure they were aware of the fact that next doors install is just tapped off my wall so I want that sorted.
Mine is too. Makes no difference to my services though. Don't have a SHub so can't answer your other questions.
Old 30-04-2012, 18:19   #232
jempalmer

Services: 500gb Tivo & V+. TV XL, 60MB BB, M Phone.

The techs who can to sort my Shub power levels today said that you can do it that way. I was told that you need to change the IP address of your router so that doesn't conflict with that of the Shub. Apparently that's all there is to it. Haven't tried it myself yet because I'm still deciding which router to buy
Old 30-04-2012, 18:49   #233
boragthung
Inactive

boragthung is an unknown quantity at this point

I understand the configurations regarding IP addresses and would have to disable the DHCP server on my own router.

Both routers are Tenda 'N' models but the upstairs one is a slightly newer model.

The main router is set as 'lazy mode' and I think the one upstairs is set as 'bridge mode'. The mac address of one is added to the other and this allows the bridged wireless link so anything wired to the upstairs router connects wirelessly through it downstairs and the whole network can see each other. Nothing can connect wirelessly to the one upstairs because of this bridge so any wireless clients have to connect to the one downstairs.

What I am not sure about is whether I would also need to change these lazy and bridge settings when the first router is connected to the Shub or whether it will work as it does at the moment without changing the settings. I suppose I will just have to experiment when it gets here and see what works.

The other question is I assume the best way to connect my router to the shub would be via one of the 4 ports? Or should it be through its WAN port?
boragthung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 00:32   #234
Sherlock Holmes
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media 60MB XL Broadband, XL TV with TiVo, XL phone.
Sherlock Holmes is on a distinguished roadSherlock Holmes is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
After having a superhub for a long time with no issues at all and when I moved house my VMNG300 was used for the new account, I just changed over to 100Mb and had a new Superhub installed on Friday.

So far no issues although due to the think walls, (live in an old tenement building) The WiFi signal drops pretty quickly but so did my netgear router.

However speed tests so far conducted have all come out at about 104Mb and downloads have been 9.8Mbps so I am very happy still.
I also have no issues with speeds on the superhub. Rock solid 60 meg connection any time of day, no reboots etc .. although I do run mine in modem mode due to having a router here.

The main problem with the superhub (even in modem mode) is the extra jitter compared to all other modems Virgin Media have supplied in the past. I always had jitter of 0-2ms average on all previous modems they supplied, but the superhub averages 6-12ms. This might be fine for most online activities, but for gaming the superhub isnt the ideal piece of equipement to have.

Theres many posts online about how switching from a superhub to a VMNG300 reduced ping/jitter from the same Virgin media connection. Might have to bombard the CEO office I think, see if I can scrounge one simply to reduce jitter

I know there's a new firmware coming out soon aswell, which is supposed to improve the superhubs performance, but I bet the increased jitter will still remain

Cheers
Sherlock Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:15   #235
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Re: SCORE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring View Post
I just got a brilliant deal from VM's 'retentions'. (I called them!) Speed tripled to 30mb (and that's it. It won't go to 60 but I'm happy with that!) and a price-drop of about £3 per month. Nice (I didn't ask but I assume the upload speed will triple to 3mb as well.)

Plus they also fully re-itemised my bill; though thinking about it she may have meant just phone calls rather than for all services. Won't be able to confirm that until the next bill arrives.

SuperHub arrives on Wed AM

ETA:
Oh yes, I did have to start a new contract, but who cares!
Price dropping is always welcome, have no experience of Shub but at least you went in with eyes open
Old 01-05-2012, 10:01   #236
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlock Holmes View Post
Theres many posts online about how switching from a superhub to a VMNG300 reduced ping/jitter from the same Virgin media connection. Might have to bombard the CEO office I think, see if I can scrounge one simply to reduce jitter
I know that might have been in jest, but there are no modems left, not even from the CEOs office.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:19   #237
Sherlock Holmes
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media 60MB XL Broadband, XL TV with TiVo, XL phone.
Sherlock Holmes is on a distinguished roadSherlock Holmes is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
I know that might have been in jest, but there are no modems left, not even from the CEOs office.
They need to sort a fix for the jitter then. The virgin media forum is full of daily complaints about it. If they cant sort a fix or a better modem by next year when BT infinity comes to my town I'll be off

Shame though, because apart from the shub giving a little extra jitter, my connection is great.
Sherlock Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 14:00   #238
dazed&confused
Inactive

Services: VIP Collection + TIVo Additional Tivo
dazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond repute

Just had my latest bill for VIP50 at £110.96.!!
An increase of £ 7.45..........the dark side beckoned.

Rang retentions and had a bit of a rant, as new customers were paying £90 plus line rental, after their 6 month freebie!

A very nice young lady went through my charges, and firstly offered caller display free. Eventually agreed to charge the same as a new customer £103.90, including free caller display, and an immediate upgrade to 100mb. for a new 12 month contract.
A saving of £7.06. Very happy bunny. & my soul is safe from the clutches of the evil empire.

Now Sky Atlantic & 3D please.
dazed&confused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 14:03   #239
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazed&confused View Post
3D please.
There has been a chunk of 3D added into On Demand under 'TV for XL > High Definition & 3D'
Old 01-05-2012, 14:14   #240
dazed&confused
Inactive

Services: VIP Collection + TIVo Additional Tivo
dazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Ben:
Thinking of Sky Sports though, loved to have seen Kompany's goal in glorious 3D
dazed&confused is offline   Reply With Quote