Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

Old 25-01-2013, 10:35   #3256
trikz
cf.member

trikz is on a distinguished roadtrikz is on a distinguished road
Re: Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

Just to let you know my area was under very very high utilisation and the reporting tools to check the line were broken so they couldn't detect it. However I have a fault reference number now so I hope they'll give me a date soon of when it'll be fixed. I'll post a graph of comparison after the fix
trikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-01-2013, 12:02   #3257
ileikcaek
cf.addict

ileikcaek has disabled reputation

Mine has been fairly ok in recent times though I really don't like how much jitter there is on the minimum latency, It's been like this since they bonded so could be a side effect of that but it really did used to be a constant flat line a few ms lower than it currently is! my graphs minimum latency appears to go down at peak times and raise during the quiet times which seems odd.
ileikcaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2013, 12:28   #3258
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Services: Sky Fibre Unlimited 40/10
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikz View Post
I'm on 100mb and have reported that i've received bad latency gaming in the evenings and they just fobbed me off saying their was healthy utilisation in my area, I really wonder what he meant by healthy?
Quote:
Originally Posted by trikz View Post
Just to let you know my area was under very very high utilisation and the reporting tools to check the line were broken so they couldn't detect it. However I have a fault reference number now so I hope they'll give me a date soon of when it'll be fixed. I'll post a graph of comparison after the fix
Saying utilisation is healthy or not an issue only to turn around and say there is high utilisation a few days later, is something the Virgin forum staff seem to do on a daily basis. Even when the TBB graphs provided and the description clearly pointed to it in the first place. I have to wonder why they do that as it is either misleading or outright lying.
Qtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2013, 12:39   #3259
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtx View Post
Saying utilisation is healthy or not an issue only to turn around and say there is high utilisation a few days later, is something the Virgin forum staff seem to do on a daily basis. Even when the TBB graphs provided and the description clearly pointed to it in the first place. I have to wonder why they do that as it is either misleading or outright lying.
Poor training is the answer. The people you talk to on the phone are NEVER instructed to lie or mislead about something, they tell you what they see on their screen. The problem is, the training (particularly for offshore) isn't great and many of them don't know how to read the outage page correctly. It involves bringing up the customer's modem in one tool, reading the correct upstream and then searching for that on a different tool (the outage "communicator").
The problem is that what's on the outage communicator isn't always in the same format as the other tool, so a quick ctrl+f doesn't always match. Sometimes, multiple tickets get combined because they're from the same issue but only the details of the "first" ticket gets listed, so it requires digging for the operator to find - many of them don't know how to do this or just can't be bothered. Sometimes, multiple issues are raised as separate tickets for the same area so many agents will just report the first one they find (which may be utlisation when there's also a fault somewhere, for example). There's loads of reasons for it, but the main one is the training documentation is **** poor.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2013, 12:57   #3260
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Services: Sky Fibre Unlimited 40/10
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal

My comments were in relation to virgins forum staff who I believe are uk based. They are able to check utilisation levels as far as I can see. The call centres are another story altogether.

What I took from your last post is that virgins system is not optimised in the best way for some areas of broadband support. Making a few changes to the system alone could make a huge difference to the amount of information available and in a shorter time, which would benefit all parties
Qtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2013, 13:05   #3261
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtx View Post
My comments were in relation to virgins forum staff who I believe are uk based. They are able to check utilisation levels as far as I can see. The call centres are another story altogether.

What I took from your last post is that virgins system is not optimised in the best way for some areas of broadband support. Making a few changes to the system alone could make a huge difference to the amount of information available and in a shorter time, which would benefit all parties
The call centres can check utilisation as well, they have access to all the same tools (bar actual telnet access to the UBR's themselves), like I said it's mostly a training thing.

You're not wrong though, there's any number of small changes that would streamline the whole operation, but there's so much red tape involved in changing ANYTHING that it's not even funny. Even the training documents. I was quite good friends with some of our trainers and they begged and pleaded numerous times to update the documentation. One of two things would happen - either they'd just get told no, or they'd get told "sure, go ahead and we'll review the changes", then when the changes came back, someone further up the chain will have dumped everything and made slight modifications to the OLD training documents.

It was quite absurd, really.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2013, 13:30   #3262
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by morley04 View Post
Where in LE3 are you as I notice you're graph says " Bonded US "
James Bond(ed)?
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2013, 14:21   #3263
Wiggz
cf.addict

Wiggz is an unknown quantity at this point

Mine has been just....well, just shocking the last few days! Although it's my fault for wanting to use my machines at times other than 2am to 6am!!!

Look at that bloody packetloss!

Wiggz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2013, 14:25   #3264
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Could the packet loss be upstream noise Your stats might tell, especially if uostream power was fluctuating.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2013, 14:37   #3265
morley04
Inactive

Services: 100MB, Tivo 1TB, V+HD and XL Phone
morley04 is on a distinguished roadmorley04 is on a distinguished road

Thanks Just got 6DS and 2US in LE3 3 today
morley04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2013, 14:40   #3266
Wiggz
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Could the packet loss be upstream noise Your stats might tell, especially if uostream power was fluctuating.
Hi pal...where would I tell that? I've just tried JDAST and that's flying through

What should I look for.
Wiggz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2013, 14:55   #3267
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by babis3g View Post
same here after few days gone back up, then after 1-3 weeks gone down again
seems they will load balance it (or whatever they doing) by time
also now getting constant packetloss (which I didnt even get before the work) and regular outages.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2013, 15:15   #3268
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggz View Post
Hi pal...where would I tell that? I've just tried JDAST and that's flying through

What should I look for.
Post your superhub network stats by accessing on your browser 192.168.100.1 if you're in modem mode or 192.168.0.1 if you're in router mode.

In the top left hand corner of the screen there's a link marked "Router Stats". You can copy and paste the stats from there. Don't worry about the formatting if it seems scrambled.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2013, 15:16   #3269
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2013, 16:31   #3270
Wiggz
cf.addict

Jesus Chrys.....not good...I spoke to VM on Twitter and got sent to a video page asking me to check my Wireless signal...interesting seeing as I'm Wired....#numptys.

Seph, I have a router status page which then gives me a bunch of options such as status, info, upstream etc...I've pasted "Upstream"

Upstream
US-1 US-2 US-3 US-4
Channel Type 2.0 N/A N/A N/A
Channel ID 2 N/A N/A N/A
Frequency (Hz) 35800000 Hz N/A N/A N/A
Ranging Status Success N/A N/A N/A
Modulation QAM16 N/A N/A N/A
Symbol Rate (Sym/sec) 5120000 N/A N/A N/A
Mini-Slot Size 128 N/A N/A N/A
Power Level (dBmV) 45.3 dBmV N/A N/A N/A
T1 Timeouts 0 N/A N/A N/A
T2 Timeouts 0 N/A N/A N/A