Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Internet availability in your area

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Internet Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Clearing your tracks

Old 09-10-2006, 19:08   #1
Theodoric
Inactive

Theodoric has reached the bronze age
Theodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze age
Clearing your tracks

I'm off on holiday tomorrow, so I really should have posted this weeks ago.

If I email from a public PC, what, if anything, should I do to ensure that I don't leave anything behind that someone else could easily access. I'm thinking particularly of any passwords.
Theodoric is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-10-2006, 19:11   #2
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Re: Clearing your tracks

If you can get into the browser settings then clear all cookies, temp files etc. Most kisok mode PCs are set to do it anyway. Where are you off to?
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 19:39   #3
Theodoric
Inactive

Theodoric has reached the bronze age
Theodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
If you can get into the browser settings then clear all cookies, temp files etc. Most kisok mode PCs are set to do it anyway. Where are you off to?
Thanks. I'm off for a cruise in the Med.
Theodoric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 19:56   #4
opelfruitcase
Inactive

opelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond reputeopelfruitcase has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theodoric View Post
Nice for some! Do you need any help to carry your suitcases?
opelfruitcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 20:26   #5
ssdd
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media "up to" 20mb broadband
ssdd is a jewel in the roughssdd is a jewel in the roughssdd is a jewel in the roughssdd is a jewel in the roughssdd is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theodoric View Post
If you're off on a cruise in the med don't worry about clearing your tracks, have a good holiday and forget about the pc until you get home
ssdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 20:47   #6
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

If you can access the options / preferences page, the least you can do is clear the cookies, browsing history, and temp files.

If you take a USB pen drive with you stick CCleaner on it http://www.ccleaner.com/ and that should let you clear most private info off.

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 20:57   #7
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon View Post
If you can access the options / preferences page, the least you can do is clear the cookies, browsing history, and temp files.

If you take a USB pen drive with you stick CCleaner on it http://www.ccleaner.com/ and that should let you clear most private info off.
If he takes a USB pen drive with him, he can put Portable Firefox on it and take his cookies home with him!
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 21:05   #8
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

And then there is Media Player and such like, that also seems to have a memory of what you might have viewed / played.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 23:31   #9
AntiSilence
Inactive

Services: C#/ASP.NET Web Development
AntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronze
AntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronze

If I were going on a cruise, I'd be too drunk to even think of the PC!
AntiSilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 00:01   #10
homealone

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiSilence View Post
If I were going on a cruise, I'd be too drunk to even think of the PC!

on a cruise, you don't have to pay extra for most food & entertainment, but you do 'usually' have to pay for booze and other drinks ordered via the many available staff happy to take your order....

internet access was expensive on the boat, on our last cruise, so we didn't bother
Old 10-10-2006, 00:06   #11
AntiSilence
Inactive

Services: C#/ASP.NET Web Development
AntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronze
AntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by homealone View Post
on a cruise, you don't have to pay for most food & entertainment, but you do 'usually' have to pay for booze and other drinks ordered via the many available staff happy to take your order....

internet access was expensive on the boat, on our last cruise, so we didn't bother
Better take double the planned amount for the booze then! In fact, best triple that figure lol
AntiSilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 00:17   #12
jonifen
Inactive

jonifen is just really nicejonifen is just really nicejonifen is just really nicejonifen is just really nicejonifen is just really nicejonifen is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris T View Post
If he takes a USB pen drive with him, he can put Portable Firefox on it and take his cookies home with him!
Thanks for the link Chris T - will come in useful for myself too

Wouldn't mind going on a holiday to the Med myself - I certainly wouldn't be thinking about the computer while I was gone!!
jonifen is offline   Reply With Quote