Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Cutting Edge going blunt?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Cutting Edge going blunt?

Old 13-04-2011, 15:21   #16
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Kursk has disabled reputation
Re: Cutting Edge going blunt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring View Post
Because those ads are not making money for your ISP.
Couldn't my ISP block the lot and negotiate a way through for those who do make money for my ISP who in turn remove the cost of my subscription?
Kursk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-04-2011, 15:21   #17
arcimedes
cf.mega poster

Services: TV XL ,TiVo X 2, 200Mb Broadband XL phone
arcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kursk View Post
Financial constraints come into play in the case of the social groups you've mentioned...especially when the Government's measures begin to really bite. These are people who may choose food and a warm home over twitter and youtube. Net access is no more necessary than Sky pay per view imo.
Bit harsh comparing net access to pay per view

There is always your local library for free access, while they still exist

If its a toss up between a bottle of wine a week and net access I know which I would choose. Luckily I dont have to
arcimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011, 15:26   #18
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcimedes View Post
If its a toss up between a bottle of wine a week and net access I know which I would choose. Luckily I dont have to
Nor do I, but choosing isn't the issue; the principle of VFM is the issue.
Old 13-04-2011, 15:37   #19
arcimedes
cf.mega poster

Services: TV XL ,TiVo X 2, 200Mb Broadband XL phone
arcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Couldn't my ISP block the lot and negotiate a way through for those who do make money for my ISP who in turn remove the cost of my subscription?
Ah a use for Phorm or rather anti phorm

Would this mean inspecting every line of HTML? A recipe for disaster there, reminds of the naughty words filters that banned a certain town starting with S and ending in thorpe.
arcimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011, 15:45   #20
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcimedes View Post
Ah a use for Phorm or rather anti phorm

Would this mean inspecting every line of HTML? A recipe for disaster there, reminds of the naughty words filters that banned a certain town starting with S and ending in thorpe.
Not really. Phorm wanted to track the web activity of individuals at the ISP level with the intent of targeting specific advertising with no financial advantage to the subscriber.

I was just wondering if it would be possible to invoke a blanket ban on advertising to reduce internet costs for customers. Only advertisers who cough up get to show their adverts. You know, the way ITV works - we don't pay a licence fee to watch ITV because it is funded by ads.
Old 13-04-2011, 17:07   #21
Neo-Tech
Inactive

Neo-Tech is on a distinguished roadNeo-Tech is on a distinguished road

If you really don't want ads, get Firefox or Chrome, and download the AdBlock Plus addon.
Great addon, imo!
Neo-Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011, 21:36   #22
AaronCooper
Inactive

AaronCooper will become famous soon enoughAaronCooper will become famous soon enoughAaronCooper will become famous soon enough

TV License : £145.50 per year
10mb internet : Roughly £250 per year

You can watch TV shows online without a TV license aslong as it isn't live. So in my eyes, my internet only costs me around £100 a year. Sounds like value to me?
AaronCooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011, 22:37   #23
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Not really. Phorm wanted to track the web activity of individuals at the ISP level with the intent of targeting specific advertising with no financial advantage to the subscriber.
This brings revenue to the ISP which they then don't have to take from subscription charges directly so it is quite likely to be to the subscribers' financial advantage assuming the ISP passes at least a part of this income into subscription charges.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011, 22:41   #24
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

I thought this thread was about the idiot who thought he was entitled to a free upgrade from 10Mb?
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2011, 23:19   #25
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo-Tech View Post
If you really don't want ads, get Firefox or Chrome, and download the AdBlock Plus addon.
Great addon, imo!
If I'm to be bombarded with ads, it ought to be me who benefits from the revenue that is generated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronCooper View Post
TV License : £145.50 per year
10mb internet : Roughly £250 per year

You can watch TV shows online without a TV license aslong as it isn't live. So in my eyes, my internet only costs me around £100 a year. Sounds like value to me?
I didn't know that all BBC programmes were available online? In fact, they're not are they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
This brings revenue to the ISP which they then don't have to take from subscription charges directly so it is quite likely to be to the subscribers' financial advantage assuming the ISP passes at least a part of this income into subscription charges.
Yes, but privacy isn't for sale at any price which is why Phorm was dumped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
I thought this thread was about the idiot who thought he was entitled to a free upgrade from 10Mb?
You thought wrong. However, an idiot who claims to 'think' but contributes nothing to the discussion has posted in here somewhere.

Look, you have an axe to grind as you're leaving VM on 6 May, do you intend to butt in to every thread in the meantime with insults?
Old 14-04-2011, 22:37   #26
AaronCooper
Inactive

AaronCooper will become famous soon enoughAaronCooper will become famous soon enoughAaronCooper will become famous soon enough

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/
http://www.channel4.com/programmes/4od
http://www.itv.com/itvplayer/default.html
http://www.channel5.com/demand5

There's channels 1 to 5 available online.
Old 14-04-2011, 23:03   #27
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Oooo ta for the links. I can watch Question Time live now. You can't though...bit of a bummer eh?

So if you click this link now, have you broken the law?
Old 14-04-2011, 23:38   #28
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Yes. You cannot watch LIVE TV without a TV Licence, whether on a TV or a PC.
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2011, 02:44   #29
AaronCooper
Inactive

Yes, if i click that link =]
Old 15-04-2011, 11:52   #30
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronCooper View Post
Yes, if i click that link =]
Bah, trust Carl to go poking his nose in before the entrapment was complete .

Actually, I have an admission to make. I said VM didn't let me know that a price rise was coming, when in fact, they did (I forgot). So I withdraw all the comments I made about them not informing me and am happy to apologise for misrepresenting them.

Sorry VM. I'll get me coat