Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Number Portability from Voipfone to Virgin Media

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Fixed Phone Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Voip services

Old 18-04-2016, 11:50   #1
Travelstar
cf.member

Travelstar is on a distinguished roadTravelstar is on a distinguished road
Voip services

When I moved to VM fairly recently I managed to ditch my old BT fixed line service and converted it to a full Voip service using Voipfone. At £2.40 a month including VAT seems a bit of a no brainer. Anyone else gone down this path?
Travelstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 20-04-2016, 22:55   #2
Matthew
cf.mega poster

Matthew has reached the bronze age
Matthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze age
Re: Voip services

I use Vonage, bit more money but quite happy with them. Get an 0300 number, no spam calls, no one has it I just use it for dialing out when working remotely doing support.
Old 22-04-2016, 15:04   #3
Travelstar
cf.member

I looked at Vonage but the price seemed too expensive for what they were offering.

I managed to get my number ported from BT to Voipfone which was fairly painless and purchased a Panasonic DECT Voip compatible phone. At £2.40 a month for an incoming line with fairly cheap call rates, I really can't complain. I am actually surprised more people are not doing it, especially for those of us who have moved to Virgin and have no need to pay line rental (especially £17 a month).
Old 22-04-2016, 21:55   #4
psul
cf.member

psul is on a distinguished roadpsul is on a distinguished road

Been using sipgate for a few years now. PAYG no monthly fee, cheap calls ,local number,costs me about £20 a year all in.
psul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2016, 12:18   #5
Travelstar
cf.member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psul View Post
Been using sipgate for a few years now. PAYG no monthly fee, cheap calls ,local number,costs me about £20 a year all in.
I considered Sipgate based on price, but the problem is that they are not part of any of the UK telecoms ombudsmen groups, so if something goes wrong it is harder to complain (from memory they are based in Germany).
Old 30-04-2016, 18:59   #6
dave_dph
Inactive

dave_dph has a spectacular aura about themdave_dph has a spectacular aura about themdave_dph has a spectacular aura about themdave_dph has a spectacular aura about them

I've been using voip.co.uk service over my VM broadband for a good few years now. Unfortunately they no longer offer service to new residential customers. I also have a line with Sipgate.
dave_dph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 06:42   #7
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

How much on average do these VOIP providers charge for say a local call or an 0845 call?
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 22:31   #8
Matthew
cf.mega poster

Matthew has reached the bronze age
Matthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze age

I pay £15 for my vonage package now which was up from £10/11 because I want to include mobile calls on it and as far as I am aware my 08 numbers are included. You can go here and test it out with a package and number you want to call: https://www.vonage.co.uk/call-plans/rates/
Old 24-05-2016, 14:56   #9
qwakuk
cf.member

Services: Ultimate Oomph, 3 V6 boxes, M600 BB
qwakuk is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelstar View Post
I looked at Vonage but the price seemed too expensive for what they were offering.

I managed to get my number ported from BT to Voipfone which was fairly painless and purchased a Panasonic DECT Voip compatible phone. At £2.40 a month for an incoming line with fairly cheap call rates, I really can't complain. I am actually surprised more people are not doing it, especially for those of us who have moved to Virgin and have no need to pay line rental (especially £17 a month).
I am seriously considering this when my current 12 month up front payment ceases. Have a Panasonic Dect system with 3 handsets, presumably if I get one of the Voip phone adapaters such as the Cisco SPA112 i just plug that into my router, the phone into the Cisco and sign up with Sipgate etc ?
qwakuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2016, 07:36   #10
rhyds
Inactive

Services: Plusnet Phone/BB, Freesat, VM Business BB (Cable)
rhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond repute

We've used voipfone in an office at work and it works well most of the time. However there have been one or two long outages (one caused by the Telecity data centre in London going down) which would make me wary of using it as my primary phone service (I live in an area with poor mobile reception)
rhyds is offline   Reply With Quote