Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | TV price rises

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

TV price rises

Old 02-02-2012, 13:35   #121
Alan Fry
Permanently Banned

Services: 100 MB Broadband, XL Tv, Sky Sports and Movies HD, all other prenium channels, 3 TIVO, 2 V HD
Alan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecart
Re: TV price rises

Quote:
Originally Posted by m419 View Post
Whether it does or doesn't, BT do not operate there, Kingston Communications, a seperate local company which operates under the same regulations as BT operates there, you will notice the telephone boxes are the same, but they are white
The Isle of Man and the Both parts of the Channel Islands (Jersey and Guernsey) have their own Telecom operators
Alan Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-02-2012, 13:35   #122
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_m View Post
I'm sure Virgin know that in the current climate simply having Tivo won't be enough if their prices aren't competitive. The only serious pay TV competition remain Sky, who are already more expensive and who will likely be further increasing their prices in September. I don't want to have to pay more money, but I don't think Virgin seriously have much to fear by doing it.
For you maybe , not for me I'm saving over a fiver a month.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 13:36   #123
Alan Fry
Permanently Banned

Services: 100 MB Broadband, XL Tv, Sky Sports and Movies HD, all other prenium channels, 3 TIVO, 2 V HD
Alan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecart

Quote:
They used to but they came to a halt in 2006 for some reason.

With Your View, i'm sure a large company like BT will come up with something. If they don't then it will be another big flop
Lets hope they improve BT Vision up to at least to the Virgin TV standard
Old 02-02-2012, 13:38   #124
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
But for how long?
Old 02-02-2012, 13:40   #125
m419
Inactive

Services: BT Broadband,BT Anytime calls,Sky entertainment extra HD,Vodafone pay monthly
m419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Fry View Post
The Isle of Man and the Both parts of the Channel Islands (Jersey and Guernsey) have their own Telecom operators
Those are offshore dependencies and to be honest I don't even know why they have UK dialling codes or even why Ofcom has some involvement with them as they have there own parliaments ect....

In Guernsey and Alderney, the main pre dominant telecoms provider is Cable and Wireless but now trades under the 'Sure' brand name

In Jersey it is Jersey Telecom

In Isle of Man is Telefonica trading under the Manx Telecom name, pronto for mobile services.

Ofcom is not interested in any investments these companies make on broadband,TV or anything, I don't even know why they still form part of the UK telecoms. Gibraltar doesn't!
m419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 13:42   #126
Alan Fry
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Those are offshore dependencies and to be honest I don't even know why they have UK dialling codes or even why Ofcom has some involvement with them as they have there own parliaments ect....

In Guernsey and Alderney, the main pre dominant telecoms provider is Cable and Wireless but now trades under the 'Sure' brand name

In Jersey it is Jersey Telecom

In Isle of Man is Telefonica trading under the Manx Telecom name, pronto for mobile services.

Ofcom is not interested in any investments these companies make on broadband,TV or anything, I don't even know why they still form part of the UK telecoms. Gibraltar doesn't!
Telefonica has sold Manx Telecom in 2010, It was owned by BT

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manx_Telecom

http://www.cellular-news.com/story/43654.php
Old 02-02-2012, 13:42   #127
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
But for how long?
My deal is full price and was £5.00 cheaper with Sky.
Old 02-02-2012, 13:46   #128
kop32
cf.addict

Services: Sky Q Silver, 2 x mini boxes,VM 150mb broadband and VM phone with anytime calls.
kop32 has reached the bronze age
kop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze age

Quote:

Ditto,also,I don't see why Sky are being brought into the argument in this thread,after all they have not increased their prices and as such have no influence on Virgin Media increasing theirs,surely this is about what is happening with prices and not what might happen with Sky's prices.
kop32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 13:50   #129
m419
Inactive

Services: BT Broadband,BT Anytime calls,Sky entertainment extra HD,Vodafone pay monthly
m419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Telefonica has sold Manx Telecom in 2010, It was owned by BT

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manx_Telecom

http://www.cellular-news.com/story/43654.php
Probably to fund for investments on the backward 3G side of O2 UK.

I know it was demerged away from BT together with the BT Mobile networks and formed MMo2 until Telefonica acquired it all. I would have thought Telefonica would sell it off eventually. Originally, I think O2 primarily used Manx Telecom to funnel money into investments of its mobile networks. Over the past few years, Cable and Wireless has begun competing with Manx Telecom and Jersey Telecom.

2 tax havens for Cable and Wireless, they probably make twice as much as money than they did from the UK cable business in the 90s

In these islands, Sky is the dominant pay tv provider, time for someone to compete?
m419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 13:54   #130
LexDiamond
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD, Sky Unlimited BB and Sky landline
LexDiamond has reached the bronze age
LexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Does Kingston upon Hull telecom provider (Kingston Communications or KC) have fibre optic services?

Bt Vision will be in serious trouble once YourView lauches!
BT will be moving from Freeview based pvrs to Youview based pvrs.
LexDiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 14:00   #131
Alan Fry
Permanently Banned

Quote:

I know it was demerged away from BT together with the BT Mobile networks and formed MMo2 until Telefonica acquired it all. I would have thought Telefonica would sell it off eventually. Originally, I think O2 primarily used Manx Telecom to funnel money into investments of its mobile networks. Over the past few years, Cable and Wireless has begun competing with Manx Telecom and Jersey Telecom.

2 tax havens for Cable and Wireless, they probably make twice as much as money than they did from the UK cable business in the 90s
Cable & Wireless split into Cable & Wireless Communications (Intenational Telecom provider) and Cable & Wirless Worldwide (communication networks and services)

Cable & Wireless Communications (which provides Telecom services in Panama, Macau, Caribbean, Maldives the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man) is doing well

Cable & Wirless Worldwide (who provide communication networks and services to businesses worldwide) is not doing so well

They were in the Telcoms/Cable business (Mercury Communications/Cable & Wirless Communications) form 1984 to the late 1990s (when it was bought by NTL)

---------- Post added at 14:00 ---------- Previous post was at 13:59 ----------

Quote:

In these islands, Sky is the dominant pay tv provider, time for someone to compete?
What about Canal Plus for the Channel Islands, or even Virgin Media and UPC!
Old 02-02-2012, 14:00   #132
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Everyone is free to vote with their feet. If you feel another provider caters for YOUR needs better than your current provider, then make a decision....

It's a balance between price, service and products.

Digital Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 14:11   #133
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Services: VIP
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by kop32 View Post
Ditto,also,I don't see why Sky are being brought into the argument in this thread,after all they have not increased their prices and as such have no influence on Virgin Media increasing theirs,surely this is about what is happening with prices and not what might happen with Sky's prices.
Well it's also about whether, with the price increase, Virgin Media remains value for money, and a good gauge of that is how competitive it's pricing is against it's main (only?) competitor.
andy_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 14:16   #134
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
But for how long?
I currently have Sky+HD with Sky World , ESPN , 9mb unlimited BB , Sky Talk with free evening and weekend calls totalling £92.00 on Sky site during the NFL/NCAA offseason I save 9.00 dropping to £83.00 included with this I get Sky 3D , Sky Anytime+ , Sky Sports F1 HD and Sky Go.

Building a bundle of 10mb BB , XL TV , L Phone , Sky Sports and Movies with Premium HD currently quotes me 97.50 but that's with TIVO fee still saying £3.00 so will rise to £99.50
Old 02-02-2012, 14:35   #135
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
I currently have Sky+HD with Sky World , ESPN , 9mb unlimited BB , Sky Talk with free evening and weekend calls totalling £92.00 on Sky site during the NFL/NCAA offseason I save 9.00 dropping to £83.00 included with this I get Sky 3D , Sky Anytime+ , Sky Sports F1 HD and Sky Go.

Building a bundle of 10mb BB , XL TV , L Phone , Sky Sports and Movies with Premium HD currently quotes me 97.50 but that's with TIVO fee still saying £3.00 so will rise to £99.50
Interesting but then that has to be weighed against a far superior VOD service from Virgin and a superior and faster broadband network and and on top of that there is also the yet to be fulfilled potential of the Tivo which hopefully soon will start fulfilling its huge potential.