Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Complaints Department Worse than Customer Service!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Installation Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar

v+ HD installation questions

Old 15-02-2010, 08:21   #1
ferritt
Inactive

ferritt is an unknown quantity at this point
v+ HD installation questions

Hi,

Gonna ring up today and book a date for V+HD. How will they install it? At the minute I have 20mb broadband and phone with virgin, Never had virgin TV. I have split the internal coax with splitter from maplins and have one end plugged into the ntl modem and the other run under floor boards to old freeview box. Will there just plug the new v+ HD into the coax already there or is there more involved because you can record 2 things while watching another. Just trying to work out if I'll need to go under the floor boards again to run the cable?

cheers
ferritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-02-2010, 08:44   #2
paulius55
Inactive

Services: 4M BB NTL Digital/phone
paulius55 is on a distinguished roadpaulius55 is on a distinguished road
Re: v+ HD installation questions

The engineer should put a splitter in the cable near where it enters your house, one to the V+ box and the other to the modem. Only one cable is required for the V+ box.
paulius55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2010, 09:41   #3
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferritt View Post
Hi,

Gonna ring up today and book a date for V+HD. How will they install it? At the minute I have 20mb broadband and phone with virgin, Never had virgin TV. I have split the internal coax with splitter from maplins and have one end plugged into the ntl modem and the other run under floor boards to old freeview box. Will there just plug the new v+ HD into the coax already there or is there more involved because you can record 2 things while watching another. Just trying to work out if I'll need to go under the floor boards again to run the cable?

cheers
What do you mean when you say that you have an old freeview box connected to the cable? You say that you have never had Virgin TV.

PS Are you some sort of Walter Mitty in light of this thread:

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/11...cable-cut.html
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2010, 10:06   #4
ferritt
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboEdin View Post
What do you mean when you say that you have an old freeview box connected to the cable? You say that you have never had Virgin TV.

PS Are you some sort of Walter Mitty in light of this thread:

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/11...cable-cut.html
what I mean by old freeview box is entirely that. I have had an old FTA box for years which plugs straight into my virgin cable. By doing this i am able to get free to air channels. And in the other thread I had the virgin cable cut when driveway was being done (virgin came out and repaired for nothing) which effected both the modem signal and the FTA box signal. Had the same setup in my old house where I split the single virgin cable inside the house and had one running to the modem and the other running to the FTA box. I have never subscribed to virgins tv service as it didn't really interest me. Been more than happy with just freeview channels but after seeing some friends V+HD's I decided to sign to that rather than the more expensive sky service.

cheers
Old 15-02-2010, 12:21   #5
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:
what I mean by old freeview box is entirely that. I have had an old FTA box for years which plugs straight into my virgin cable. By doing this i am able to get free to air channels. And in the other thread I had the virgin cable cut when driveway was being done (virgin came out and repaired for nothing) which effected both the modem signal and the FTA box signal. Had the same setup in my old house where I split the single virgin cable inside the house and had one running to the modem and the other running to the FTA box. I have never subscribed to virgins tv service as it didn't really interest me. Been more than happy with just freeview channels but after seeing some friends V+HD's I decided to sign to that rather than the more expensive sky service.

cheers
A cable freeview box? They don't exist. Do you mean you have an old cable box that you are using as a "freeview" box without a Tv subscription? Or are you using a dodgy box and now the box is going to be a doorstep you want to subscribe?

Anyway... as above the tech will split the cable from the omni box in the house and run a cable to where you want the V+HD box.. no major installation required.

With all the new HD channels coming it's a good time to upgrade to V+HD
Digital Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2010, 12:26   #6
Console_Crazy
Inactive

Services: V+ HD XL TV L BB M Phone Inc Sports and Movies
Console_Crazy is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you know what Channels we will be receiving and when Digi?
Console_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2010, 12:30   #7
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Console_Crazy View Post
Do you know what Channels we will be receiving and when Digi?
Deals are still being finalised but EuroSport HD & Discovery HD are launching in April
Old 15-02-2010, 12:55   #8
ferritt
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic View Post
A cable freeview box? They don't exist. Do you mean you have an old cable box that you are using as a "freeview" box without a Tv subscription? Or are you using a dodgy box and now the box is going to be a doorstep you want to subscribe?

Anyway... as above the tech will split the cable from the omni box in the house and run a cable to where you want the V+HD box.. no major installation required.

With all the new HD channels coming it's a good time to upgrade to V+HD
I was using the old black box with grey and orange buttons. Just using it as a freeview box.

All sorted now tho. Installations booked in for march (earliest date they could give)
Got the V+HD box for £49 and monthly charge of £53 (XL TV, 20 mb net & standard phone line)

cheers

PS

Do you think the engineer will just re-use the cables that are already in place as I've been using them. Cant really be bothered to put the new ones under floor boards when they've gone

cheers
Old 15-02-2010, 13:20   #9
Console_Crazy
Inactive

Quote:
I was using the old black box with grey and orange buttons. Just using it as a freeview box.

All sorted now tho. Installations booked in for march (earliest date they could give)
Got the V+HD box for £49 and monthly charge of £53 (XL TV, 20 mb net & standard phone line)

cheers

PS

Do you think the engineer will just re-use the cables that are already in place as I've been using them. Cant really be bothered to put the new ones under floor boards when they've gone

cheers
Is that with the sports and movies or just the 165 XL channels??
Old 15-02-2010, 13:20   #10
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Quote:

cheers

PS

cheers

Sounds like an old cable analogue box...

the engineer may well use the same cable if it's of a good standard, but they usually like to fiot VM branded sockets.
Old 15-02-2010, 13:26   #11
ferritt
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Console_Crazy View Post
Is that with the sports and movies or just the 165 XL channels??

just the 165 channels. Aint bothered about the movies. Will add sport next season.

cheers
Old 15-02-2010, 13:50   #12
Console_Crazy
Inactive

Quote:
just the 165 channels. Aint bothered about the movies. Will add sport next season.

cheers
Just wanted to check

Thanks mate