Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | TV price rises

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

TV price rises

Old 17-02-2012, 08:47   #586
MaverickJesus
cf.addict

MaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud ofMaverickJesus has much to be proud of
Re: TV price rises

Quote:
Originally Posted by herby247 View Post
£4.25 for me!

Services =

1TB Tivo, 500GB Tivo.
Talk Unlimited
TVXL
50MB XXL broadband

Inc my £13.90 line rental
My monthly total is £80.46
But i have a £4 loyalty discount.
Total £76.46

So with them adding £4.25 p/month for the increase, that's me now at £80.71 p/month.

Should i call retention's for another deal, or will my discount amend?
I'm getting charged £4.30 extra for Talk E&W, 30MB BB & TV XL.
MaverickJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-02-2012, 13:11   #587
G4v1n
Inactive

G4v1n is an unknown quantity at this point

Hmmm, £3.50 price rise for me. Not the 'End of the World' but it's pushing my monthly cost very near to £50 ... which equates to almost £600 per year. That's definitely a level that makes me think that I'm paying too much for TV&Internet relative to what I get.

It's also pretty ill-advised to be pushing your prices up by anything up to 10% when the economy is looking so creaky and your main competitor announced and heavily publicised a price freeze.

Much as I like the convenience of the V+ and the VOD, I think I'll be dropping my telly package totally and dropping down to the Freeview functionality on my TV when my current contract expires.

I'll keep the broadband though as it's been pretty decent and frankly, most of what I watch on TV these days is sourced from the internet anyway and crucially as I live in a rental house that doesn't have a BT landline, I don't want to faff around with paying for installation and committing to a 12 month contract right now.

When I move into my own place, I'll consider VM cable for the broadband but I think it's probably a good bet that I'll go with someone like O2 and get a Freesat PVR. VM's bandwidth throttling policies are a real pain for me even though the speed (when unthrottled) is excellent and I've never had service problems.
G4v1n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2012, 19:17   #588
TonyHoyle
Inactive

TonyHoyle has a spectacular aura about themTonyHoyle has a spectacular aura about themTonyHoyle has a spectacular aura about themTonyHoyle has a spectacular aura about them

No price rise for me.. at least I've not been notified of one... OTOH it may be possible there is one (never been able to make head nor tail of the VM bill so I doubt I could calculate a price rise if I tried).

As with others thinking of ditching pay TV.. static wages and rising prices are making it a luxury now. They should be offering incentives to stay not increasing the prices.
TonyHoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2012, 19:26   #589
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

O2s throttling is worse than virgins
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2012, 19:27   #590
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
Exactly.
Old 18-02-2012, 20:31   #591
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
For now.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2012, 21:19   #592
Doz007
cf.geek

Services: VM 200Mb BB, Sky Q Silver 2TB
Doz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation eraDoz007 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_ View Post
For now.
Don't tell us that!
Doz007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2012, 21:34   #593
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doz007 View Post
Don't tell us that!
I said nothing and nor will I.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2012, 21:58   #594
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Are O2 removing throttling
Old 18-02-2012, 23:34   #595
daggman
Inactive

Services: 30MB broadband XL, thats all now after Price rises and F1 for 22.50, so sky tv for me.
daggman is a glorious beacon of lightdaggman is a glorious beacon of lightdaggman is a glorious beacon of lightdaggman is a glorious beacon of lightdaggman is a glorious beacon of lightdaggman is a glorious beacon of lightdaggman is a glorious beacon of light

Mines has gone up £4.10 , i have tv XL TIVO, Phone L and broadband XL, plus free multiroom was expecting a £3.50 rise so don't know how they get £4.10, but for me this with the fact on virgin i need skysports to get F1 at 22.50 extra means i will probably cancel phone and tv on monday.
daggman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 07:33   #596
jb66
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by daggman View Post
Mines has gone up £4.10 , i have tv XL TIVO, Phone L and broadband XL, plus free multiroom was expecting a £3.50 rise so don't know how they get £4.10, but for me this with the fact on virgin i need skysports to get F1 at 22.50 extra means i will probably cancel phone and tv on monday.
It's the same price for XL XL XL
Old 19-02-2012, 12:17   #597
thegrail
Inactive

Services: Virgin TiVo M+, O2 Voice & Broadband
thegrail is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Are O2 removing throttling
There is throttling on O2 but I have not been impacted as I am not using P2P.

According to http://broadband.o2.co.uk/home/trafficmanagement.jsp only P2P is really restricted.

I am on on the O2 Broadband All Rounder package and the only other apparent limitation is when streaming where I seem to have an 8 mbit/sec limit which is easily sufficient for watching HD Youtube or BBC iPlayer. If there were more users in my household I might have to look at "The Works" which apparently has no streaming limit.

I've looked at moving my Phone and Broadband to Virgin but the phone call costs were (on the calls I make) much higher than O2s.
thegrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 13:05   #598
Ray.uk
Inactive

Ray.uk is an unknown quantity at this point

Have VIP30 at £99.45 just received letter saying going up £4.50 so £103.45 can anyone with vip30 confirm this.
Cannot understand why they dont give list of various VIP package prices on their website
Ray.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2012, 13:31   #599
jb66
cf.mega poster

vip30 is a rip off, vip50 is much better value
Old 19-02-2012, 13:35   #600
johnasimmons
cf.mega poster

Services: 500mb, Full House (with Sky Sports & Movies, BT Sports and ViaPlay), 1 TiVo, 1 V6, iPhone 14 Pro Max
johnasimmons has reached the bronze age
johnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze age

I have XL tv & XXL broadband and mine went up by £4.25 a month
johnasimmons is offline   Reply With Quote