Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The Pirate Bay is blocked

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

The Pirate Bay is blocked

Old 30-05-2012, 13:30   #706
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
Re: The Pirate Bay is blocked

Quote:
Originally Posted by _wtf_ View Post
It seems some people don't know how to use Google (it was actualy proven one night).
Gigidy.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-05-2012, 13:35   #707
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
This lot are taking this lot to court for copyright infringement. What did they do you ask, they linked to an article about them. As linking is fundamental to the world wide web and would drive traffic to the site being linked to I would say if this became common place the web would simply cease to be.

Meanwhile in other news TPB has simply starting using one of their other IP addresses, apparently they have hundreds. It's pretty obvious that the people who pass these laws not only have no idea how the web works but have also never played whack-a-mole.
That's an excellent find, and well done to McGarr solicitors for so assiduously defending the Womens' Aid people - abuse of copyright protection is not appropriate.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2012, 13:45   #708
Efour
Inactive

Efour is just really niceEfour is just really niceEfour is just really niceEfour is just really niceEfour is just really niceEfour is just really nice

I appreciate that your discussion has moved on probably seeing as its 40+ pages long but can someone explain to me why the powers that be are having kittens about TPB or torrenting but not newsgroups where from my knowledge the big "offenders" download from? Or is the issue that the ISPS are being used to transmit the material?

Does paying a monthly fee to a 3rd party "criminal" hosting it all make it more legal cos they pay tax on their earnings?
Efour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2012, 14:08   #709
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efour View Post
can someone explain to me why the powers that be are having kittens about TPB?
Because the copyright laws are either unworkable/unenforceable or the powers that be have no clue what they are doing ,take your pick
Old 30-05-2012, 14:21   #710
_wtf_
Inactive

Services: BT Phone & Infinty, FreesatHD, Freeview, LOVEFiLM, NetFlix, Virgin Mobile
_wtf_ will become famous soon enough_wtf_ will become famous soon enough_wtf_ will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
That's an excellent find, and well done to McGarr solicitors for so assiduously defending the Womens' Aid people - abuse of copyright protection is not appropriate.
How about these 'finds'. The last one proving only the media companies can get away with infringing copyright.

Dave Gorman

A Lindsay Lohan fan

Adele Dubois

Jay Leno
_wtf_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2012, 14:29   #711
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Still only blocked on VM via 1 address, Every other option works first time

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2012, 15:57   #712
kwikbreaks
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FTTC, FoxSat HDR for TV, Vonage VOIP.
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze age
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze age

The site with the most blatant copyright infringing material is surely YouTube and they actually host the material itself not just links to trackers. I doubt we'll see any court orders trying to block that though.

---------- Post added at 15:57 ---------- Previous post was at 15:53 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
Still only blocked on VM via 1 address, Every other option works first time
20 seconds on google to find one which in the article was apparently the first alternate IP and it does indeed work just fine.

This debacle is hardly showing English courts in a good light. I wonder if there is a Plan B.
kwikbreaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2012, 16:09   #713
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikbreaks View Post
The site with the most blatant copyright infringing material is surely YouTube and they actually host the material itself not just links to trackers. I doubt we'll see any court orders trying to block that though.

---------- Post added at 15:57 ---------- Previous post was at 15:53 ----------

20 seconds on google to find one which in the article was apparently the first alternate IP and it does indeed work just fine.

This debacle is hardly showing English courts in a good light. I wonder if there is a Plan B.
Been saying it for a while about Youtube.

However they are big and have the money to be able to fight the rights holders. On those grounds the rights owners will just settle with suing the average Joe int the street like the cowards they are.

---------- Post added at 16:09 ---------- Previous post was at 16:07 ----------

Quote:

Maybe we were given an indication about plane B over the weekend

Old 30-05-2012, 16:10   #714
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Aren't YouTube owned by Google? I'd love to see someone take them on directly.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2012, 16:14   #715
_wtf_
Inactive

Services: BT Phone & Infinty, FreesatHD, Freeview, LOVEFiLM, NetFlix, Virgin Mobile
_wtf_ will become famous soon enough_wtf_ will become famous soon enough_wtf_ will become famous soon enough

Quote:
The French courts have just proved your point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
Google been taken on and won a couple of times. The trouble is Google is TOO big it's the little sites that are being harassed.
Old 30-05-2012, 16:19   #716
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
Unfortunatly Russ the rights owners don't have the balls for a real fight and choose to pick on the small guy instead.

Old 30-05-2012, 16:43   #717
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age
Re: The Pirate Bay is blocked (Discuss but do not post detail of how to get round it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring View Post
Pretty sure your "civil liberties" don't include the right to steal stuff
Just as long as we don't confuse freedom with rights.

I have the freedom to steal stuff, but I do need to be aware of the rights of others and the law. If I choose to ignore those I must accept the consequences.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2012, 17:08   #718
kwikbreaks
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FTTC, FoxSat HDR for TV, Vonage VOIP.
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze age
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze age

Quote:
The French courts have just proved your point.
Looks very much like the defence the Megaupload owners put up - didn't stop the Septics shutting the site down and cuffing the owners though. It also caused a whole raft of other hosting sites to commit hari-kari by only serving uploaded files to the original uploader.
kwikbreaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2012, 17:25   #719
_wtf_
Inactive

Quote:
Looks very much like the defence the Megaupload owners put up - didn't stop the Septics shutting the site down and cuffing the owners though. It also caused a whole raft of other hosting sites to commit hari-kari by only serving uploaded files to the original uploader.

That case is slowly falling apart, they didn't even have the correct warrants when they did the raid so there is some debate as to whether the evidence is even admissible. Then the FBI moved the computers to the US without the New Zealand authorities knowing.
Old 30-05-2012, 19:04   #720
AdamD
cf.mega poster

Services: VM 50Mb
AdamD has reached the bronze age
AdamD has reached the bronze ageAdamD has reached the bronze ageAdamD has reached the bronze ageAdamD has reached the bronze age

Sky blocks access to The Pirate Bay file-sharing site

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-18270343
AdamD is offline   Reply With Quote