Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | BT Infinity installed

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Other ISPs Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

BT Infinity installed

Old 15-02-2012, 12:09   #91
loopfish
Inactive

loopfish can only hope to improve
Re: BT Infinity installed

I've had Infin 40 unlimited since end of Jan and it's a world apart from the misery of congested VM :-)

Haven't yet switched out the supplied HH3 for my Asus RT-N56U, to make 200% sure it all settles in nicely, but may consider switching in the future, purely so I can monitor my connection quality with the ThinkBroadband ping monitor (currently it doesn't support HH3)...
loopfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-02-2012, 20:19   #92
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Less than 22 hours till my Infinity install. Fingers crossed.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2012, 16:38   #93
ShadowTD
Inactive

Services: 200Mb & SH2ac
ShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond repute

Let us know how it goes. I'm quite excited, and mines 2 weeks away!
ShadowTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2012, 17:01   #94
loopfish
Inactive

its amusing how the old copper lines were distributed to houses...I have a FTTC cabinet literally at the end of my road, so I assumed I'd be plugged into that, but when I asked the engineer, he said that no, actually my line was running to the next cab a couple of hundred metres further away down another street!
Still, I get a rock-solid 38.6Mb/8.3Mb connection, and thats approx. over 500m!

I'm a little concerned why the BT Speed Checker doesn't show that I'm able to get any more than that (e.g. close to the 80/20 they're able to provide now)...anyone know why that might be?
Old 16-02-2012, 17:09   #95
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

have you tried this link to check > https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/pls/ad...hecker.welcome

---------- Post added at 17:09 ---------- Previous post was at 17:06 ----------

I check my availability via address checker not postcode checker.
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2012, 17:55   #96
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowTD View Post
Let us know how it goes. I'm quite excited, and mines 2 weeks away!
C:\Users\Administrator>ping www.bbc.co.uk -w 1000 -n 100
<snip>
Ping statistics for 212.58.244.66:
Packets: Sent = 100, Received = 100, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 19ms, Maximum = 20ms, Average = 19ms

C:\Users\Administrator>ping www.bbc.co.uk -w 1000 -n 100
<snip>
Ping statistics for 212.58.246.92:
Packets: Sent = 100, Received = 100, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 19ms, Maximum = 133ms, Average = 35ms

Guess which one's which? :P

The one thing I was afraid of is ping being higher on BT even with lower jitter - glad to see that's not the case. My old O2/Be line had a minimum ping of 26ms with a max of 27, whereas VM could go as low as 17ms but averaged 22 off peak.

[img]Download Failed (1)[/img][img]Download Failed (1)[/img]

Tralala...
Old 16-02-2012, 19:02   #97
loopfish
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenry View Post
have you tried this link to check > https://www.dslchecker.bt.com/pls/ad...hecker.welcome

---------- Post added at 17:09 ---------- Previous post was at 17:06 ----------

I check my availability via address checker not postcode checker.
All I get:

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed of 40Mbps and upstream line speed of 10Mbps.

The actual stable line speed supportable will be determined during the first 10 days of use. This speed may change over time, to ensure line stability is maintained.

---------- Post added at 19:02 ---------- Previous post was at 18:54 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
Guess which one's which? :P

My ping is slightly higher that VM was, but at least its constant, and don't forget that's only the ping to that particular Pingtest.net server - some BF3 servers I get a ping of 12ms! 0 packetloss and 0 jitter - VM couldn't come close to that, even on a good time of day!
Old 16-02-2012, 19:06   #98
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

same as me. the speed I was being told I'd get were slower than 40 down, 10 up a month or so ago.

qas got 40down, 10 up too, he's now got infinity installed and is nearly achieving that.. 37 down, 8 up so not extremely far off..

---------- Post added at 19:06 ---------- Previous post was at 19:05 ----------

oh you have infinity already whats your actual speeds like compared to the estimated text
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2012, 19:23   #99
loopfish
Inactive

Old 16-02-2012, 19:27   #100
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenry View Post
same as me. the speed I was being told I'd get were slower than 40 down, 10 up a month or so ago.

qas got 40down, 10 up too, he's now got infinity installed and is nearly achieving that.. 37 down, 8 up so not extremely far off..

---------- Post added at 19:06 ---------- Previous post was at 19:05 ----------

oh you have infinity already whats your actual speeds like compared to the estimated text
My linespeed is exactly 39.998 down 10.0 up, so minus overheads that's bang on, with no sign of any congestion. IP throughput is 39.7 down 9.8 up.

As I've mentioned in another thread, my max linespeed at the moment is 88mbps down 27mbps up, but obviously capped to 40mbps because that's all they sell right now. Engineers say some areas of Edinburgh have been switched to 80mbps already and it's being trialled with staff, so not long to go.

[Edit]

Interestingly my IP is now 31.51.123.0. Wish I could keep it...

Old 16-02-2012, 19:41   #101
colin25
Inactive

Services: Sky Tv, BT infinity broadband - since 5 June 2013..oh, and a BT phone (BT infinityyyy and beyonddddd
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star

I'm jealous...can't get infinity yet

---------- Post added at 19:41 ---------- Previous post was at 19:36 ----------

Interestingly (to me) when i do the infinity checker, it says between 6-15 for standard broadband, estimate 11 (bang on what I get from sky), but coming in June for infinity

Wonder if that means i will get the 40 down 10 up...hope so
colin25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2012, 19:41   #102
loopfish
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
My linespeed is exactly 39.998 down 10.0 up, so minus overheads that's bang on, with no sign of any congestion. IP throughput is 39.7 down 9.8 up.

As I've mentioned in another thread, my max linespeed at the moment is 88mbps down 27mbps up, but obviously capped to 40mbps because that's all they sell right now. Engineers say some areas of Edinburgh have been switched to 80mbps already and it's being trialled with staff, so not long to go.

that sounds like they've already doubled the speed to your cabinet, but have capped you at 40/10... how close are you to the cabinet?
Old 16-02-2012, 19:51   #103
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopfish View Post
that sounds like they've already doubled the speed to your cabinet, but have capped you at 40/10... how close are you to the cabinet?
They've doubled the speed (or rather opened up profile 17a) on all cabinets but capped everyone (except 80/20 triallists) at 40/10.

I'm about 90m from the cab (straight line)
Old 16-02-2012, 20:28   #104
goldmercury
Inactive

goldmercury is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm in Aberdeen and have to wait till june for this ... not long though! Are there going to be other ISPs that can use BT's fibre? Not sure I want to use BT as an ISP!
goldmercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2012, 20:48   #105
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

BT are pretty decent at the moment on FTTC, but if you want alternatives they've been metioned in recent threads here. Mind you most other ISPs use BT wholesale pipes anyway so you won't see any difference in performance, the only one who doesn't has 2mb upload limit