Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 5.1 Dolby on BBC HD channels

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

5.1 Dolby on BBC HD channels

Old 17-01-2012, 09:16   #16
metmanuk
Inactive

metmanuk is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 5.1 Dolby on BBC HD channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1981suede View Post
I don't know. Something strange is occurring. Would be handy if other users could check and say if either BBC HD channels are broadcasting full 5.1 and which programme they saw it on. Stargazing Live is on now and I'm certainly only getting PLII.

Edit: ok, episodes is broadcasting 5.1 at the moment. Perhaps there really is just a dearth of 5.1 content on BBC.
As soon as I notice a BBC 5.1 program on my Panasonic I'll check it on the Samsung and report back.
metmanuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-02-2012, 09:12   #17
ryan2801
Inactive

ryan2801 is an unknown quantity at this point

BBC HD, C4 HD broadcast in either 2.1 or 5.1.

Wish my home cinema had Pro Logic II to compensate.
ryan2801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 10:46   #18
honeymonster12
Inactive

honeymonster12 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think the problem may be that a 5.1 digital audio feed is only available via the optical output rather than on HDMI, which is 2.1 only. Try connecting your AV receiver to your set top box using an optical cable for audio, and check in the sound menu of both your STB and AVR that 5.1 audio is enabled. I have my Onkyo TX-NR515 working well with BBC HD via a Humax Freeview HD STB using this connection method.
honeymonster12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 11:08   #19
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
I think the problem may be that a 5.1 digital audio feed is only available via the optical output rather than on HDMI, which is 2.1 only. Try connecting your AV receiver to your set top box using an optical cable for audio, and check in the sound menu of both your STB and AVR that 5.1 audio is enabled. I have my Onkyo TX-NR515 working well with BBC HD via a Humax Freeview HD STB using this connection method
On Tivo and V+ boxes, you get 5.1 via HDMI as well as optical.
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 11:09   #20
paultrademark
Inactive

Services: 70MB BB
paultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful onepaultrademark is the helpful one

Yeah I get 5.1 (when the show broadcasts it) on my TiVo using an HDMI cable to my Samsung HT
paultrademark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 12:57   #21
Wicked_and_Crazy
cf.mega poster

Wicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny star
Wicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny starWicked_and_Crazy has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Wicked_and_Crazy Send a message via Yahoo to Wicked_and_Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by paultrademark View Post
Yeah I get 5.1 (when the show broadcasts it) on my TiVo using an HDMI cable to my Samsung HT
And i get it on my V+ when its broadcast
Wicked_and_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 16:19   #22
LenMackin
Inactive

Services: 152mb Broadband only
LenMackin will become famous soon enoughLenMackin will become famous soon enoughLenMackin will become famous soon enough

Hello,
the problem I am afraid is that there is not a lot of content on BBC1 and none on ITV1. However I use FreeViewHD but its the same issue. I know that 5.1 is transmitted for certain programs and films - test cards etc help prove that it is working. Productions like Dr Who and Upstairs Downstairs are excellent examples of what can be achieved. The other infuriating issue is to watch a BBC series on BBC1 HD in Dolby surround only to have it repeated at some late hour on BBC HD in full 5.1!! There is another issue for owners of some TV's and that is BBC transmits 5.1 in AAC codec and some TV's have had problems decoding this. See this link http://www.whathifi.com/News/Problem...-HD-the-facts/ however this should not happen as far as I am aware with cable channels?
LenMackin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 18:37   #23
DaMac
Inactive

Services: VM 200mb Gamer BB, 1m Motorised Satellite, Netflix 4K, Amazon Prime 4K, VM M TV, Freesat HD.
DaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant futureDaMac has a brilliant future

Are you sure The Samsung V+ transmits 5.1 over HDMI - i thought only the TiVo could do this, i tried it with all Sky Movie HD channels and my reciever just showed 2.0 PCM, i now have it connected via optical with the overide option on.
p.s. Quite a few programs on BBC1 HD / BBC HD are 5.1, but only the ones that are made in 5.1, for example Eastenders is made in stereo, so it is only broadcast in stereo, Live Match of the Day is produced in 5.1 so broadcasts in 5.1... why would you need 5.1 audio for Pointless, it would be...
DaMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 18:57   #24
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMac View Post
Are you sure The Samsung V+ transmits 5.1 over HDMI
Yes it does. The bizarrely-named HDMI Override setting affects both HDMI and Optical.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 23:41   #25
borrissey
Inactive

Services: 152meg BB. XL TV, Sky Sports and Sky Movies (HD), 1TB TiVo and a 500GB TiVo box.
borrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation eraborrissey has entered a golden reputation era
At the moment BBC 1 HD is in Dolby Digital 2.0. Which my amp outputs in pro logic II.

BBC HD is also in DD 2.0.

I have an Onkyo 605 amp and TiVO connected via HDMI.
borrissey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2012, 07:44   #26
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

The Preview programme on BBC-HD all day has (around every hour) a 5.1 audio test for you to check you audio system.
ozsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2012, 08:10   #27
jobbie8
cf.addict

Services: BB 250MB, SKY Stream, Netfix, Disney+, Discovery+, AppleTV+,YouTube Premium, Paramount+
jobbie8 is just really nicejobbie8 is just really nicejobbie8 is just really nicejobbie8 is just really nicejobbie8 is just really nicejobbie8 is just really nice
I have an LG 3D home theater system. I can see when a show is in 5.1 on the lcd display. I noticed when watching a tivo recording from BBC HD of Being Human 2 weeks ago that it was 2.0.
I was quite puzzled as the week before I had it in 5.1?? No change in settings. So I reset tivo and the same recording gave me 5.1 audio.
jobbie8 is offline   Reply With Quote