Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coming Soon to Virgin TV

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Coming Soon to Virgin TV
Closed Thread

Old 13-12-2008, 06:09   #901
Felim_Doyle
cf.geek

Services: Digital TV XL TiVo 500MB, Broadband 100Mb SuperHub, Telephone XXL
Felim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of society
Send a message via ICQ to Felim_Doyle Send a message via AIM to Felim_Doyle Send a message via MSN to Felim_Doyle Send a message via Yahoo to Felim_Doyle
Exclamation Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12noon View Post
Lets hope they get the HD channels for the first part of 2009. I'd pay an extra tenner now if they could add the HD channels for the new year.
You are setting your sights too low nooner! You should be hoping that Santa will bring you some HD movie channels on Christmas Eve! That way, maybe you'll have some hope of them being delivered by the Easter Bunny!
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, UK
Advertisement
Old 13-12-2008, 22:41   #902
dsmuk
Inactive

dsmuk will become famous soon enoughdsmuk will become famous soon enoughdsmuk will become famous soon enough
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by braysoj1 View Post
i have just been looking on wikapedia and it says these channels are testing

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...s_on_Virgin_TV

Channels that are testing
EPG No. ↓ Channel Name ↓ Notes ↓ Owner/parent company

200 Nuts TV Tests of 3 new Transport Streams Virgin Media
Nuts TV is closing down on Freeview and Sky in the new year, why would they be about to launch on Virgin for only a few weeks?
Old 14-12-2008, 09:11   #903
lemarsh
cf.geek

lemarsh is a glorious beacon of lightlemarsh is a glorious beacon of lightlemarsh is a glorious beacon of lightlemarsh is a glorious beacon of lightlemarsh is a glorious beacon of lightlemarsh is a glorious beacon of lightlemarsh is a glorious beacon of light

According to BBC News, there is a press conference tomorrow morning from Virgin to announce 50Mbps - what is the chance this could be a double offering (although broadband only being announced) - and offering what we appear to want most - more HD - and in time for Christmas please.
Old 14-12-2008, 10:14   #904
moroboshi
Inactive

moroboshi is just really nicemoroboshi is just really nicemoroboshi is just really nicemoroboshi is just really nicemoroboshi is just really nicemoroboshi is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemarsh View Post
According to BBC News, there is a press conference tomorrow morning from Virgin to announce 50Mbps - what is the chance this could be a double offering (although broadband only being announced) - and offering what we appear to want most - more HD - and in time for Christmas please.
I'd say no chance. Virgin have been working on the 50mbit rollout for a long time now. They wouldn't want to dilute the media's focus.
Old 14-12-2008, 17:40   #905
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

Here are a few titbits of news from the UBS media conference on Thursday which was attended by VM's CEO Neil Berkett:

Berkett said 4 HD channels will launch in the next 3 months. He did not say what they will be.

Berkett said 2mb will be upgraded sometime during 2009, to a unspecified speed. He wants all VM's broadband services to be above the average ADSL speeds.

Berkett confirmed he has now had access to Sky's HD channels for a few months, where as previously they were "locked up" by Sky. But not a price he considers reasonable, hence the ongoing review by Ofcom which he believes will find in VM's favour. Berkett stated that the key to HD is sports and movies.

(As I've said before, if VM can get HD channels at a price it likes, it will get them. Clearly what has changed now is that VM now has access to Sky's HD channels and all HD which Sky had previously controlled and wouldn't allow VM access to. But the sticking point, as always, is price. HD is a key subscription driver and Sky will not relinquish this competitive advantage easily.)

Despite what Berkett said, he still does not consider HD a priority. (Perhaps he will when its cheap enough...) He confirmed that once analogue is shut down, VM will have the capacity for 30-40+ HD channels. But as he has said before, VM is still concentrating on its broadband and on demand services where VM can compete more effectively. Although Berkett said that should the market change, he can alter things within 3-6 months to get more HD channels if need be.

Despite what a investor slide said and I've mentioned before, 10mb will not go onto the DOCSIS 3 platform, only 20mb will move onto it and then the 2mb should start to be upgraded around the same time.

Berkett also said that technically DOSCIS 3 is not launching on Monday, that will follow in the new year. What is launching tomorrow is a wideband service. It can only be called DOSCIS 3 when the upstream channels are bonded which VM don't have the capability to do just yet.
Old 14-12-2008, 20:01   #906
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

on post 892 it says that ITV & C4 HD are testing on channels 164 & 165, on my V+ that is Diva & +1, im on NTL/Langley.

Why should I pay extra for HD channels? I subscribe to the Premium channels Plus I pay extra for a V+ box.

Also terrestrial HD channels BBC, ITV etc. should be free anyway.
Old 14-12-2008, 20:20   #907
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemarsh View Post
No tomorrow will be for the 50MB and nothing else.
Old 14-12-2008, 20:46   #908
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
on post 892 it says that ITV & C4 HD are testing on channels 164 & 165, on my V+ that is Diva & +1, im on NTL/Langley.

Why should I pay extra for HD channels? I subscribe to the Premium channels Plus I pay extra for a V+ box.

Also terrestrial HD channels BBC, ITV etc. should be free anyway.
The terrestrial HD channels undoubtedly will be free, just as BBC HD is today.

It is up to you whether you pay to receive Sky's HD channels, you don't have to take them. Sky have every right to charge for these, but I understand they are considering dropping that charge.

---------- Post added at 20:46 ---------- Previous post was at 20:45 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
Here are a few titbits of news from the UBS media conference on Thursday which was attended by VM's CEO Neil Berkett:

Berkett said 4 HD channels will launch in the next 3 months. He did not say what they will be.

Berkett said 2mb will be upgraded sometime during 2009, to a unspecified speed. He wants all VM's broadband services to be above the average ADSL speeds.
Thanks for the information, Horizon. I knew that 15 HD channels by Christmas was too good to be true!
Old 15-12-2008, 12:28   #909
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post

Berkett said 4 HD channels will launch in the next 3 months. He did not say what they will be...
Thanks for the news.

When Virgin add them they will be the following:
Channel 4 HD

And maybe:
ITV HD
Sci-Fi HD
MTVNHD
Discovery HD
FX HD
Eurosport HD
National Geographic Channel HD
History HD
Crime & Investigation Network HD
Bio.HD
Disney Cinemagic HD

NOTE: Sky1 HD may not appear on Virgin until they sign an deal for Sky Sports and Sky Movies HD Channels.

The channels on this list are testing in Ex-CW areas - ALL with no video.

BICS1
BICS2
BICS3
BICS4
BICS5
BICS6
BICS7
BICS8
BICS9
BICS10
Five
Five
Five AD
Five AD

And the final list update of 2008 will be online later this week...
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Old 15-12-2008, 14:16   #910
cupcakes aka dd
cf.geek

Services: Almost the lot
cupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud of

Those HD channels listed above will do me fine. Sky can keep theirs. I'll have them all please in time for Christmas. (wishing).
Old 15-12-2008, 15:01   #911
cablestrider
Inactive

Services: Cable XL TV, 10MB broadband by Virgin Media cable, Mac & Safari powered Internet!
cablestrider will become famous soon enoughcablestrider will become famous soon enoughcablestrider will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to cablestrider

that's just what i was thinking! I'd much rather see the above than the sky ones..
Old 15-12-2008, 15:27   #912
cupcakes aka dd
cf.geek

Services: Almost the lot
cupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud of

In fact I could get quite fired up about that line up!
Old 15-12-2008, 15:58   #913
demented
Inactive

Services: 4Mbs, V+, XLtv + premium channels.
demented has much to be proud ofdemented has much to be proud ofdemented has much to be proud ofdemented has much to be proud ofdemented has much to be proud ofdemented has much to be proud ofdemented has much to be proud ofdemented has much to be proud ofdemented has much to be proud ofdemented has much to be proud of

Woo! Nice find. Finally some confirmation. Hopefully Neil Berkett will be a man of his word and we'll get them by 15th February 2009 and they'll be proper Linear ones not some vod definition of a "channel". Why he says we have two I don't know either (perhaps he counts vod as a channel). Shame we couldn't have them in december, there are some kickarse films on ITV HD and C4HD in the run up to Christmas and the New Year.
Old 15-12-2008, 16:06   #914
Andrewcrawford23
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media - XL Plus package with XXL broadband SKY HD Multiroom Freeview HD Freesat HD
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age

hay anyone want to let me know when a 2nd hd channel launched

Quote:
Communications conference, Berkett said that it would be launching four new HD channels (to complement the existing two) over the next three months.
http://www.hdtvuk.tv/2008/12/virgin_media_lo.html#more
Old 15-12-2008, 16:23   #915
virginruinedntl
Inactive

virginruinedntl is a glorious beacon of lightvirginruinedntl is a glorious beacon of lightvirginruinedntl is a glorious beacon of lightvirginruinedntl is a glorious beacon of lightvirginruinedntl is a glorious beacon of lightvirginruinedntl is a glorious beacon of lightvirginruinedntl is a glorious beacon of light

i'd like to know what the 2nd HD channel is too!

Wish they told us what the 4 HD channels were already, if channel4hd, itvhd, eurosport were added i'd be very happy, if i had to pick another it would be either FXHD or DiscoveryHD.
Closed Thread