Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coming Soon to Virgin TV

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Coming Soon to Virgin TV
Closed Thread

Old 21-08-2008, 17:50   #211
Felim_Doyle
cf.geek

Services: Digital TV XL TiVo 500MB, Broadband 100Mb SuperHub, Telephone XXL
Felim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of societyFelim_Doyle is a pillar of society
Send a message via ICQ to Felim_Doyle Send a message via AIM to Felim_Doyle Send a message via MSN to Felim_Doyle Send a message via Yahoo to Felim_Doyle
Post Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by TV Boy View Post
=== Final Did you Know? ===
* Telewest originated in Croydon in 1984 under the name "Croydon Cable". In 1988 United Cable of Denver, US, acquired Croydon Cable. Franchises extended the company scope in Edinburgh and the south-west and south-east of England. In 1989 United Cable merged with United Artists Cable International. In 1991 United Artists merged with their largest shareholder TCI (now Liberty Media), to form the largest cable operator in the US. TCI and US West announced a joint venture, and in 1992 the joint venture company became Telewest Communications. In 1995 Telewest merged with SBC Communications, adding franchises in the Midlands and North West serving 1.3 million homes. In 1998 Telewest announced a merger with General Cable, and acquired an outstanding interest in Birmingham Cable, adding a further 1.7 million franchise homes in Yorkshire, west London and Birmingham. Telewest purchased the remaining 50% stake in Cable London from NTL in 1999, adding 0.4 million franchise homes in north London. In April 2000 Telewest merged with Flextech, and in November extended its cable network with the acquisition of Eurobell, taking the total number of homes passed to 4.9 million..
* NTL originated from:- Barclay Knapp and George Blumenthal, the founders of the cellular network company Cellular Communications, Inc. (sold to Airtouch in 1996), established International CableTel in 1993. They founded CableTel in order to take advantage of the deregulation of the UK cable market. Initially, Cabletel acquired local cable-franchises covering Guildford, Northern Ireland and parts of Central Scotland and South Wales. In 1996 CableTel acquired National Transcommunications Limited (NTL), the privatised UK Independent Broadcasting Authority transmission-network. In 1998 CableTel adopted "NTL" as its new name.
The company spent heavily on expanding its network and on acquisitions — including the consumer cable division of Cable and Wireless, bought for $10bn, and partly paid for with a $5.5bn investment from France Telecom. NTL also began to expand outside the UK in 2000, buying into markets on continental Europe and in Ireland.
Who says nostalgia is a thing of the past? I love these snippets. Thanks TV Boy.

I wonder why CableTel adopted the NTL name?

I know that Bell Cablemedia (yes, their website is still there) originally dug up the pavements here in Aylesbury but all work stopped for about a year (as I recall) during takeover negotiations with Cable & Wireless Communications. Subsequently that became NTL and the rest, as they say, is history.

More here and here with further Cable Forum discussion here.

I hope this isn't too far off topic. I guess it qualifies more as 'Previously on Virgin TV' rather than 'Coming Soon to Virgin TV'.
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, UK
Advertisement
Old 21-08-2008, 19:29   #212
windy
Inactive

Services: XL TV/XL BB(60) /PHONE/ M..TIVO/FREEVIEW HD Samsung Galaxy s3
windy is a glorious beacon of lightwindy is a glorious beacon of lightwindy is a glorious beacon of lightwindy is a glorious beacon of lightwindy is a glorious beacon of lightwindy is a glorious beacon of lightwindy is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by TV Boy View Post
Go down to Feb, 2009.
Oh got ya..
Old 21-08-2008, 22:54   #213
dd11
Inactive

Services: XL V+ HD - 50mb Broadband, XL Phone - Free Satellite
dd11 is on a distinguished roaddd11 is on a distinguished road

Hi Tv boy do you think that there would be any chance of LIVING bringing out a LIVING HD channel as it is owned by Virgin Media this would be a good step for them to make available only on the VM platform ?
Old 22-08-2008, 01:25   #214
Hiroki
Inactive

Services: SkyHD, Freesat & Virgin Media TV/BB
Hiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful one
Send a message via MSN to Hiroki

TV Boy I hope you don't mind me asking but do you know if the Style Network (I think it's called that) will be joining Virign Media?
Old 22-08-2008, 08:41   #215
RamJet
Inactive

RamJet will become famous soon enoughRamJet will become famous soon enoughRamJet will become famous soon enough

Is there any news on when/whether The Military History Channel will broadcast on VM
Old 22-08-2008, 08:52   #216
Andrewcrawford23
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media - XL Plus package with XXL broadband SKY HD Multiroom Freeview HD Freesat HD
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age

The answer to above threee questions is very unlikely to no
Old 22-08-2008, 09:14   #217
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd11 View Post
Hi Tv boy do you think that there would be any chance of LIVING bringing out a LIVING HD channel as it is owned by Virgin Media this would be a good step for them to make available only on the VM platform ?
No but you ever know they do have Channel 113 free?

---------- Post added at 09:10 ---------- Previous post was at 09:08 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiroki View Post
TV Boy I hope you don't mind me asking but do you know if the Style Network (I think it's called that) will be joining Virign Media?
Style Network may appear on Virgin TV when the deal with it sister channel E! is up.

---------- Post added at 09:14 ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamJet View Post
Is there any news on when/whether The Military History Channel will broadcast on VM
Again MH may appear when the deal is up with it sister channel History/Bio. But it may appear soon as Virgin need to add The History Channel +1 to Ex-Telewest and they need to sign an new deal to do it.
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Old 22-08-2008, 16:55   #218
Neel lad
Inactive

Neel lad is an unknown quantity at this point

hi tv boy do you know when will the indian channels from Sky will be launching on Virgin media? because sky has loads of of indian channels!!!
Old 22-08-2008, 17:11   #219
Andrewcrawford23
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media - XL Plus package with XXL broadband SKY HD Multiroom Freeview HD Freesat HD
Andrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze ageAndrewcrawford23 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neel lad View Post
hi tv boy do you know when will the indian channels from Sky will be launching on Virgin media? because sky has loads of of indian channels!!!
Simple answer never, sky has loads because the channels pay to get on sky epg, but virgin pay for the channels, i aint trying to be offensive with this next comment (but i suspect there is maybe 200000 max asian people subscriber to virgin) with that low amount virgin will not see the channel worth it unless the get pretty good audiance share son sky.
Old 22-08-2008, 17:18   #220
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by weststandguy View Post
Is this a wind up?
i would say so.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Old 22-08-2008, 17:31   #221
sherer
Inactive

sherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewcrawford23 View Post
Simple answer never, sky has loads because the channels pay to get on sky epg, but virgin pay for the channels, i aint trying to be offensive with this next comment (but i suspect there is maybe 200000 max asian people subscriber to virgin) with that low amount virgin will not see the channel worth it unless the get pretty good audiance share son sky.
Yes this is the main thing limiting channels getting on VM and I don't know why VM don't just say if people want to sign up to VM then pay to be in the EPG, the channels already make money out of advertising and reaching more viewers means they get more money.

I know VM have a closed network but with their larger dishes they can still pickup the channels and broadcast them on their network
Old 22-08-2008, 17:57   #222
Andrewcrawford23
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherer View Post
Yes this is the main thing limiting channels getting on VM and I don't know why VM don't just say if people want to sign up to VM then pay to be in the EPG, the channels already make money out of advertising and reaching more viewers means they get more money.

I know VM have a closed network but with their larger dishes they can still pickup the channels and broadcast them on their network
Nothing to do witht he dishes. It is to do with ever channel that launchs on virign media needs a space of bandwidth on virgin tv network, virign has to pay to maintain this so it costs thema lot if people jsut launched and launcehd like on sky. SKY do not pay for the maintence of the sateilitte so channesl can launch as often as they want with the expection of getting onto the epg/.
Old 22-08-2008, 18:12   #223
sherer
Inactive

sherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewcrawford23 View Post
Nothing to do witht he dishes. It is to do with ever channel that launchs on virign media needs a space of bandwidth on virgin tv network, virign has to pay to maintain this so it costs thema lot if people jsut launched and launcehd like on sky. SKY do not pay for the maintence of the sateilitte so channesl can launch as often as they want with the expection of getting onto the epg/.
ah i see so it's more paying for bandwidth than paying to be in the EPG ?
Old 22-08-2008, 18:34   #224
Andrewcrawford23
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherer View Post
ah i see so it's more paying for bandwidth than paying to be in the EPG ?
Something like that but it quite complicated. for both sky and virgin.

If you ook it like this channels pay sky to get onto sky and virgin pays channel to go onto virgin.

The channels pay for there bandwidht on satlillete but virgin pays for the bandwidth on virign,
Old 25-08-2008, 11:14   #225
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

I have just noted that Crime (Virgin Channel 237 ) is now broadcasing 24 hours a day.

---------- Post added at 10:53 ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 ----------

Also Bio (Virgin Channel 242) is now on air from 6am - 3am (was 8am - 2am)

---------- Post added at 11:14 ---------- Previous post was at 10:53 ----------

Channel Five is looking into the possibility of launching a stand-alone children's channel based on its Milkshake strand of pre-school programmes, director of programmes Ben Gale revealed last weekend.

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/organgri..._launch_s.html

Info from Gurdian online
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Closed Thread