Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media 70, 150 & 200 Mb Upgrades

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media 70, 150 & 200 Mb Upgrades

Old 02-09-2015, 10:21   #166
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
re: Virgin Media 70, 100 & 200 Mb Upgrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughbeast View Post
My channel frequencies are 46200000, 32600000, 39400000 Hz.

I guess all those upgrades will enable speed increases and capacity for dedicated channels for WiFi. Hopefully, it will follow that we get our speed boost and WiFi early on in the roll out. I know it doesn't really work like that.
Yeah, thought as much. You are probably on a network with a 5-50MHz upstream band, and a 54MHz - 750MHz downstream band. Standard extended DOCSIS build.

VM's new build is 5-85MHz upstream and 108MHz-1002MHz downstream, with a field replaceable module upgrading that to (I think!) 5-230MHz upstream, 300MHz-1.3GHz upstream.

It's not necessary for the WiFi project, that will use relatively little bandwidth, but is certainly necessary to make room to go to from 8 to 16 and onwards to 24 DOCSIS 3 downstreams, let alone adding DOCSIS 3.1 into the mix.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-09-2015, 10:54   #167
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
Yeah, thought as much. You are probably on a network with a 5-50MHz upstream band, and a 54MHz - 750MHz downstream band. Standard extended DOCSIS build.

VM's new build is 5-85MHz upstream and 108MHz-1002MHz downstream, with a field replaceable module upgrading that to (I think!) 5-230MHz upstream, 300MHz-1.3GHz upstream.

It's not necessary for the WiFi project, that will use relatively little bandwidth, but is certainly necessary to make room to go to from 8 to 16 and onwards to 24 DOCSIS 3 downstreams, let alone adding DOCSIS 3.1 into the mix.
I'll watch out for changes after the day of the network upgrade work and post them here when they happen.

Channels beyond 8 is where SH3 comes in I guess.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 11:09   #168
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
I'll watch out for changes after the day of the network upgrade work and post them here when they happen.

Channels beyond 8 is where SH3 comes in I guess.
There are already a bunch of areas with more than 8 channels and devices load balanced across them.

Obviously a newer modem is needed to take full advantage of all of them.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:16   #169
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
Theoretical bandwidth of what, about 1.2Gbit? Yum!
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 11:28   #170
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

When is the Wifi projet due to start? I thought it was Sept 1st.
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 11:55   #171
OhReally

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenry View Post

or go through thinking of leaving.
Just the nudge I needed to get round to calling them. Person I spoke to offered to upgrade me today to 100 if the area was ready! It was in March. Too little, too late. Downgraded to 50 service (never goes above 25 on a great day so why pay for extra), cancelled tv completely, saved £24/month.

Result.
Old 02-09-2015, 12:14   #172
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhReally View Post
Just the nudge I needed to get round to calling them. Person I spoke to offered to upgrade me today to 100 if the area was ready! It was in March. Too little, too late. Downgraded to 50 service (never goes above 25 on a great day so why pay for extra), cancelled tv completely, saved £24/month.

Result.
When all the network upgrades are done and the speed boost roll out is complete will you not be tempted to review your position?
Old 02-09-2015, 12:35   #173
OhReally

Quote:
When all the network upgrades are done and the speed boost roll out is complete will you not be tempted to review your position?
95% of the tv we watch is bbc/itv anyway, the rest we can download, usually months before they are shown here.

When it's done we'll end up on 100 anyway, there only are 2 of us living here, 2 desktops, 2 laptops. We don't do gaming so that'll be more than enough, in reality 50 is more than enough.

My mobile is already unlimited anything, when my wife's contract is up for renewal and we get unlimited everything we'll ditch the phone line as well.

So I guess the answer is no, not really

---------- Post added at 12:35 ---------- Previous post was at 12:27 ----------

Quote:
Just for a laugh I ran the speedtest again 1.62/0.38

On a 60 meg connection, that's pathetic.

and for comparison, connecting to Galaxy S5 mobile hotspot - 11.57/1.91
Old 02-09-2015, 12:55   #174
adduxi
cf.addict

adduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
25GB on a game ! Manic Miner on the ZX Spectrum only took up 48Kb - still haven't finished it after 30 years...
Ahh, many happy memories, ZX Speccy!! ... Never finshed Jet Set Willy or Manic Miner
adduxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 13:18   #175
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Quote:
95% of the tv we watch is bbc/itv anyway, the rest we can download, usually months before they are shown here.

When it's done we'll end up on 100 anyway, there only are 2 of us living here, 2 desktops, 2 laptops. We don't do gaming so that'll be more than enough, in reality 50 is more than enough.

My mobile is already unlimited anything, when my wife's contract is up for renewal and we get unlimited everything we'll ditch the phone line as well.

Fair enough. Your main reasoning is that you don't need the speed, or the phone or TV, not so much that VM is pants.
Old 02-09-2015, 13:33   #176
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:

---------- Post added at 12:35 ---------- Previous post was at 12:27 ----------

Just for a laugh I ran the speedtest again 1.62/0.38

On a 60 meg connection, that's pathetic.

and for comparison, connecting to Galaxy S5 mobile hotspot - 11.57/1.91
Have you reported the fault?
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 14:18   #177
OhReally

Quote:
Fair enough. Your main reasoning is that you don't need the speed, or the phone or TV, not so much that VM is pants.
1.62/0.38? I'd call that pretty rubbish!

---------- Post added at 14:18 ---------- Previous post was at 14:17 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
Have you reported the fault?
When I spoke to VM this morning the lady ran some sort of check and said that everything looks ok.
Old 02-09-2015, 14:22   #178
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Anyone remember when this thread discussed October's broadband tier upgrades rather than a person's broadband fault?

---------- Post added at 14:22 ---------- Previous post was at 14:21 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
Theoretical bandwidth of what, about 1.2Gbit? Yum!
Yes. Could probably sell 600Mb quite happily on 24 downstreams.
Old 02-09-2015, 14:29   #179
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
When I spoke to VM this morning the lady ran some sort of check and said that everything looks ok.
And then what happened?
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 14:38   #180
OhReally

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
And then what happened?
Then I cancelled the TV, downgraded to 50 and saved 24/month...connection is still rubbish.

Which I expected, it's still the same cable coming from the same cab after all.

@Ignitionnet - it's not about my "fault" I apparently don't have one. I was *originally* pointing out that rather than make pointless promises about headline speeds they would be better served fixing the current network to make it robust and reliable.