Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 00:15   #1201
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

If I subscribe on the 19th January does it take the money straight away for the month or only bill me once the month is up? Intrigued how they'd do it what with the ability to cancel anytime
Advertisement
Old 05-01-2015, 02:07   #1202
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincerooney View Post
If I subscribe on the 19th January does it take the money straight away for the month or only bill me once the month is up? Intrigued how they'd do it what with the ability to cancel anytime
It'll take the money there and then no matter how you look at it it is a min 1 month term.
Old 05-01-2015, 09:48   #1203
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2k10 View Post
It'll take the money there and then no matter how you look at it it is a min 1 month term.
As well as the network being more expensive in the uk than anywhere else in the world i think its annoying that they're not offering any free months. They've done that twice before but we've never been able to enjoy it.

Do we think that the additional 2 quid we'll be paying is skys cut?? seems a bit mad really that in foreign countries they're paying 9.99 dollars or their version of that amount. in the uk its 2.50 quid more.
Old 05-01-2015, 11:35   #1204
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincerooney View Post
As well as the network being more expensive in the uk than anywhere else in the world i think its annoying that they're not offering any free months. They've done that twice before but we've never been able to enjoy it.

Do we think that the additional 2 quid we'll be paying is skys cut?? seems a bit mad really that in foreign countries they're paying 9.99 dollars or their version of that amount. in the uk its 2.50 quid more.
A lot of people on other forums/sites think the high price is down to Sky and that possibly WWE have to pay a percentage of the subs to Sky each month.
This wouldn't surprise me.
Old 05-01-2015, 12:30   #1205
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2k10 View Post
A lot of people on other forums/sites think the high price is down to Sky and that possibly WWE have to pay a percentage of the subs to Sky each month.
This wouldn't surprise me.
it seems a bit bizarre that every other country has the same price but the uk has the higher price. don't get me wrong i'll be getting it. Got a 4G phone and very large data so this will be perfect for me in work and at home. Would be polite if we could finally get a reason for the original delay and a reason for the higher price tho!
Old 08-01-2015, 17:47   #1206
theone2k10
Inactive

For usa and those of us who use vpns or smart dns Dish have become the first major tv supplier to announce a standalone tv package that will be online and will cost $20p/m about £13 http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/5/749...unced-ces-2015
It will be available on the following to start with.

Amazon Fire TV
Amazon Fire TV Stick
Google Nexus Player
LG Smart TVs
Mac / OS X
Roku set-top boxes
Roku Streaming Stick
Roku TV
Windows PC
Xbox One

I think we will see Verizon and Comcast follow suite soon.

---------- Post added at 17:47 ---------- Previous post was at 17:42 ----------

Intel have announced a Windows 8.1 stick that will plug directly into your tv it will boast 2gb ram and 32gb flash storage with the ability to add more storage via sd card.
There will also be a cheaper linux version boasting 1gb ram and 8gb storage with a sd card slot too. Both will have a usb port too which should mean you can use a external harddrive for storage.
http://www.engadget.com/2015/01/07/intel-compute-stick/
The windows version will cost $149 about £98 and the linux version will cost $89 about £52
Old 08-01-2015, 18:32   #1207
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Netflix calls VPN lock-out claims false, teases possible interface change.

http://www.cnet.com/uk/news/netflix-...ook-interface/
Old 08-01-2015, 18:48   #1208
theone2k10
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post

Easy to get around anyway just block googles dns on your router if you can, i had to block googles dns on mine as a new ROKU update forced their dns meaning i couldn't access any USA stuff, once i blocked googles dns all the US stuff worked again.
Plenty of guides how to do this on most smart dns sites.
Old 08-01-2015, 19:00   #1209
harry_hitch
Heavens to Betsy, Bertie!

Services: TIVO, M TV, L BB, M Phone
harry_hitch has reached the bronze age
harry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze age

Quote:

That's a rather interesting statement made in the article. At no stage do they discourage people from using a vpn or dns. It's almost as if they don't mind people doing it. I guess as long people are giving them money, why should they mind?

I am seriously considering changing my mind about not accessing foreign versions of Netflix after reading that.
Old 08-01-2015, 19:34   #1210
passingbat
Inactive

passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry_hitch View Post
That's a rather interesting statement made in the article. At no stage do they discourage people from using a vpn or dns. It's almost as if they don't mind people doing it. I guess as long people are giving them money, why should they mind?

I am seriously considering changing my mind about not accessing foreign versions of Netflix after reading that.

I think the proportion of Netflix users who do use a smart dns is probably quite small; people like us, who use tech type forums, so not really that significant maybe? I've mentioned it to several people, who aren't that kind of person, and they just don't seem that interested.

Quote:
It's almost as if they don't mind people doing it.
Given how easy it would be for them to fix it, that was the conclusion I came to before I started using one.
Old 08-01-2015, 22:35   #1211
harry_hitch

harry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze age

Quote:
I think the proportion of Netflix users who do use a smart dns is probably quite small; people like us, who use tech type forums, so not really that significant maybe? I've mentioned it to several people, who aren't that kind of person, and they just don't seem that interested.

Given how easy it would be for them to fix it, that was the conclusion I came to before I started using one.
You make a good point, the proportion of people who actually do use the vpns is probably quite small.

I have always steered clear of doing it simply due to it breaking the t+c's Netflix/content providers put in place. As I have said before, I don't judge anyone for doing it though.

I will ponder on the issue a bit more before deciding if I want to go down that route.

Can anyone recommend a DNS/VPN provider for me to think about too please?
Old 08-01-2015, 22:57   #1212
passingbat
Inactive

Quote:
Can anyone recommend a DNS/VPN provider for me to think about too please?
http://www.unblock-us.com/

I've used them for 2 years now with zero problems.

You can try them free of charge for 7 days without entering any payment details.
Old 08-01-2015, 23:25   #1213
harry_hitch

Quote:
http://www.unblock-us.com/

I've used them for 2 years now with zero problems.

You can try them free of charge for 7 days without entering any payment details.
Cheers!!
Old 09-01-2015, 00:01   #1214
theone2k10
Inactive

Quote:
Cheers!!
Unotelly been using these for 2 years without a issue you get a free 8 day trial too no payment details needed. https://www2.unotelly.com/home
Old 09-01-2015, 08:10   #1215
UnStable
cf.member

UnStable is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you guys using VPN's have any noticeable difference in your broadband?
I'm interested in trying this but not if it's to the detriment of gaming or download speeds.
Closed Thread