Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 20-12-2014, 08:50   #1141
harry_hitch
Heavens to Betsy, Bertie!

Services: TIVO, M TV, L BB, M Phone
harry_hitch has reached the bronze age
harry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze age
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2k10 View Post
Simple answer - rights Amazon have the streaming rights and surprise surprise they are charging extra for it.
This is why i prefer Netflix over Amazon with Netflix you see a show on it's service and you can watch that show aslong as you're a subscriber with Amazon some shows are included in your subscription some are ppv.
That does wind me up, I can understand they charge for the Atlantic stuff and also the pay tv stuff, but that was FTA. It's like Sky Sports and Movies, blatant profiteering. It's not right, but alas it is good business sense. Thankfully they don't charge extra on the lovefilm by post service. I may have to wait a little longer to get them, but at least I am not being ripped off by amazon this way. It astonishes me how much money we (me included) all spend on TV. I don't watch three quarters of the channels, but I continue pay the money because I have become a HD snob..
Advertisement
Old 20-12-2014, 11:25   #1142
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry_hitch View Post
That does wind me up, I can understand they charge for the Atlantic stuff and also the pay tv stuff, but that was FTA. It's like Sky Sports and Movies, blatant profiteering. It's not right, but alas it is good business sense. Thankfully they don't charge extra on the lovefilm by post service. I may have to wait a little longer to get them, but at least I am not being ripped off by amazon this way. It astonishes me how much money we (me included) all spend on TV. I don't watch three quarters of the channels, but I continue pay the money because I have become a HD snob..
I re-subscribed to Amazon instant video paid the £5.99 no surprise within 2 weeks i issued my cancellation request it just isn't doing it for me. Netflix is miles ahead especially when combined with a smart dns.
Amazon instant video USA isn't much cop either, i'm fortunate to know a friend in the USA who created a login for me on their cable service so i can access HBOGO which turned up this week on the firetv too made my Christmas lol.
Old 20-12-2014, 12:30   #1143
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Simple answer - rights Amazon have the streaming rights and surprise surprise they are charging extra for it.
This is why i prefer Netflix over Amazon with Netflix you see a show on it's service and you can watch that show aslong as you're a subscriber with Amazon some shows are included in your subscription some are ppv.
I take this to mean that they have those rights for it to be screened here in the UK? If so how come Netflix couldn't get it to air in the UK, surely they must have as many customers here as they have in other european countries?
Old 20-12-2014, 12:33   #1144
cimt

cimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appeal
cimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appeal

Amazon would of payed for exclusive streaming rights.
Old 20-12-2014, 16:22   #1145
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
I take this to mean that they have those rights for it to be screened here in the UK? If so how come Netflix couldn't get it to air in the UK, surely they must have as many customers here as they have in other european countries?
Don't forget ITV's role in this. They probably calculated that they could make more money on the digital version by selling it via Amazon (with Amazon taking a cut, or Amazon paying such a high price that they had to charge for it) than the lump sum that Netflix was prepared to pay for the UK rights.
Old 20-12-2014, 16:59   #1146
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
I'm willing to bet that isn't the reason , Amazon have the PPV rights as do Blinkbox , the subscription rights are a completely different thing its more likely its availability on ITV Encore/On Demand is the issue.
Old 20-12-2014, 18:51   #1147
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
I'm willing to bet that isn't the reason , Amazon have the PPV rights as do Blinkbox , the subscription rights are a completely different thing its more likely its availability on ITV Encore/On Demand is the issue.
Very good point.

---------- Post added at 18:51 ---------- Previous post was at 18:48 ----------

Wuaki have started up a free content service called viki. It's not much but it might be of use to some people https://uk.wuaki.tv/viki
Old 21-12-2014, 13:00   #1148
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
I think that is the most plausible reason, MM. I would imagine that once ITV Encore stop relying on repeats from ITV and start broadcasting original material, Broadchurch will be more generally available and that's when it will appear on Netflix.

I certainly wouldn't blame Amazon for the charge. This is likely to be the only way they could get the programme added to their catalogue. Netflix could have done the same.
Old 21-12-2014, 15:00   #1149
passingbat
Inactive

passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Netflix could have done the same.
No they couldn't; that is not the premise of how Netflix operates and I hope that never changes.
Old 21-12-2014, 15:05   #1150
theone2k10
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
No they couldn't; that is not the premise of how Netflix operates and I hope that never changes.
The only thing Netflix may add and this is only a very very slight chance off happening is their dvd rental service, with Amazon being the only one left in the uk to offer dvd rental by post Netflix may consider bringing their dvd by post rental to the uk, very unlikely though.
Old 21-12-2014, 15:13   #1151
passingbat
Inactive

Quote:
very unlikely though.
Agreed; I think they would probably ditch the US DVD rental if they could.
Old 22-12-2014, 18:02   #1152
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Agreed, but that is their choice. They could if they wanted to. The sad fact is that if programmes like this are to appear, the only way will be shown for the time being is by pay per view.
Old 22-12-2014, 19:19   #1153
passingbat
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
the only way will be shown for the time being is by pay per view.
Or via Netflix and a smart DNS service...
Old 22-12-2014, 21:49   #1154
theone2k10
Inactive

Quote:
Or via Netflix and a smart DNS service...
We keep telling people about smart dns mate it keeps falling on deaf ears.
Old 22-12-2014, 23:31   #1155
harry_hitch
Heavens to Betsy, Bertie!

Services: TIVO, M TV, L BB, M Phone
harry_hitch has reached the bronze age
harry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze age

Quote:
We keep telling people about smart dns mate it keeps falling on deaf ears.
I think people see it is a grey area between right and wrong. I certainly do. I could pay for the content, but the laws of the relevant countries say it is wrong for me to do so. So I choose not to. I don't judge anyone for doing it, it is just not for me.
Closed Thread