Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Underground cable installation question

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Installation Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Underground cable installation question

Old 24-04-2024, 20:40   #1
crazyswede
cf.member

crazyswede is on a distinguished roadcrazyswede is on a distinguished road
Underground cable installation question

Hi, this is my first post and I hope I’m posting in the right place!

I have come home from work this evening, to find a bright green line painted on my land. It leads from a TV Internet manhole cover on the pavement, across my land, then across shared neighbours land, and terminates at the door of one of my neighbours. She says it’s for her new virgin Internet.

Matters are complicated slightly inasmuch as all of the land in question is listed. Moreover, my deeds state that I own my portion of the land and that I have to give neighbours right of access to their homes. They live in a courtyard, and I live in the Gatehouse to the courtyard. My home is above an archway, and it’s under the arch where the bright green line has been drawn - that is the portion of land that I own on my deeds. ( it is not a public right of way I just have to give access to the neighbours that live in the courtyard).

My neighbour does not seem to think there be any problem with the listed cobbles being dug up. However, I have received no notice from any utilities companies that this is going to take place and I am concerned that if they damage anything under my portion of the land, then I’ll be responsible to have to put it right.
Where do I stand on this legally please?
crazyswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-04-2024, 20:47   #2
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Re: Underground cable installation question

I would have thought if you wanted a proper legal answer then you will need to quickly contact someone with proper legal knowledge of the situation.
Old 24-04-2024, 20:53   #3
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star

If the cobbles are listed, I'd be tempted to run the situation past the Local Planning Department.
GrimUpNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2024, 23:02   #4
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze age
daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age

I think I'd be kicking off with the neighbour if that happened. I don't think a right of access allows the access to be dug up especially if it's listed. Tricky one as it would be costly to get legal advice, as Grim says I'd try the planning office.
daveeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2024, 09:35   #5
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

You need to establish whether there is already a wayleave in place for utility companies to do this work. Though it sounds to me as if neither VM nor your neighbour have troubled themselves to find that out. It sounds like your neighbour has simply told the installer that it will be fine, presumably on the basis that they walk on the cobbles without any issue so burying cables under them should be fine too.

But your situation is too urgent for the internet to solve unfortunately. You need to phone the planning office at your local council and make sure you lead on the phrase ‘listed building’ - if you make it about access and consent they will tell you it’s not their problem and to go hire a lawyer.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2024, 10:13   #6
Peter729
cf.addict

Peter729 is a jewel in the roughPeter729 is a jewel in the roughPeter729 is a jewel in the roughPeter729 is a jewel in the roughPeter729 is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up Re: Underground cable installation question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
You need to establish whether there is already a wayleave in place for utility companies to do this work. Though it sounds to me as if neither VM nor your neighbour have troubled themselves to find that out. It sounds like your neighbour has simply told the installer that it will be fine, presumably on the basis that they walk on the cobbles without any issue so burying cables under them should be fine too.

But your situation is too urgent for the internet to solve unfortunately. You need to phone the planning office at your local council and make sure you lead on the phrase ‘listed building’ - if you make it about access and consent they will tell you it’s not their problem and to go hire a lawyer.
Good advice

VM are known for just "going ahead regardless" they wanted to dig up land in the front my house, when i asked them what they were doing they said it was Council land and they had permission, I asked to see the permission and they couldn't find it. I showed them a copy of the Land Registry map for my property which clearly shows the land is mine.

Last edited by Peter729; 25-04-2024 at 10:20.
Peter729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2024, 23:23   #7
crazyswede
cf.member

crazyswede is on a distinguished roadcrazyswede is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth View Post
If the cobbles are listed, I'd be tempted to run the situation past the Local Planning Department.
Thanks, I’ll do that

---------- Post added at 23:23 ---------- Previous post was at 23:22 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter729 View Post
Good advice

VM are known for just "going ahead regardless" they wanted to dig up land in the front my house, when i asked them what they were doing they said it was Council land and they had permission, I asked to see the permission and they couldn't find it. I showed them a copy of the Land Registry map for my property which clearly shows the land is mine.
What happened to you was outrageous!
crazyswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2024, 08:33   #8
Peter729
cf.addict

Peter729 is a jewel in the roughPeter729 is a jewel in the roughPeter729 is a jewel in the roughPeter729 is a jewel in the roughPeter729 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyswede View Post
Thanks, I’ll do that

---------- Post added at 23:23 ---------- Previous post was at 23:22 ----------

What happened to you was outrageous!
I think they adopt the adage "its better to say sorry than ask for permission"

Last edited by Peter729; 26-04-2024 at 08:37.
Peter729 is offline   Reply With Quote