Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2016) Vol 2

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2016) Vol 2

Old 27-10-2016, 14:16   #2656
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2016) Vol 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky Trevor View Post
I'm amazed Fox News hasn't launched yet with the American elections being a couple of weeks away.
It's been testing for months! Seems a bit over the top. as people can confirm it's been the channel I've been wanting for about 3 years

It's comedy gold
vincerooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-10-2016, 14:19   #2657
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post

Sky has major problems to look forward to. They are unlikely to get a new exclusive HBO deal given the new strategy being adopted by that company .

Personally, I wouldn't be too sure about that. I'm not sure how any people would actually shell out £10 p/m just for HBO content. Atlantic also includes Showtime's content, in another exclusive Premium content deal with Sky. AMC content is tied to an excusive deal with BT, with some content exclusive to Amazon. There is no way an 'HBO Nordic like service' could happen in the UK at this time

I think HBO would make more money renewing their Sky deal.
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2016, 14:24   #2658
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
Personally, I wouldn't be too sure about that. I'm not sure how any people would actually shell out £10 p/m just for HBO content. Atlantic also includes Showtime's content, in another exclusive Premium content deal with Sky. AMC content is tied to an excusive deal with BT, with some content exclusive to Amazon. There is no way an 'HBO Nordic like service' could happen in the UK at this time

My guess is that HBO will come to a non-exclusive deal with Sky while launching its content on demand website.

I suppose there could be alternatives. Maybe an exclusive deal with Sky to broadcast the shows on its channels while uploading them on its own subscription website. There are also other possibilities.

The point is, the status quo on these exclusive deals cannot be guaranteed in this fast changing market.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2016, 14:31   #2659
passingbat
Inactive

passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
My guess is that HBO will come to a non-exclusive deal with Sky while launching its content on demand website.

I suppose there could be alternatives. Maybe an exclusive deal with Sky to broadcast the shows on its channels while uploading them on its own subscription website. There are also other possibilities.

The only value of HBO to Sky, is it's exclusivity, and (the supposed) up-market perception that it brings
Old 27-10-2016, 14:36   #2660
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
I don't think it is right to describe VM as 'leeching' off other companies, theone. People who watch pirated material are leeching. Virgin Media pay for the material they broadcast to their subscribers quite legitimately, and this is Liberty Global's strategy. You don't need to own channels to get the content you want.

However, there is a problem with exclusive deals that restrict some content to specific providers, and unless there is future legislation to prevent this from happening, Virgin's only defence is to acquire exclusive content of its own. Again, it does not need to actually own channels to achieve this.

Virgin could change their strategy to compete directly with Sky in this way if they wanted to. Remember that when Sky withdrew its channels from us, we very quickly found Virgin 1 coming to our screens, and the same could happen again. John Malone is busily acquiring interests in quite a number of content providers, of which Lionsgate is particularly interesting, and I wouldn't underestimate cable's ability to put up some impressive rival channels at short notice if needs be. I would be surprised if a contingency plan was not already in place.

There are a lot of moans from VM TV customers at present, mainly because of the slow Tivo and the lack of Sky Atlantic. The V6 is poised to resolve the slowness issue and Sky Atlantic is solvable. However, if VM make the decision not to acquire Sky Atlantic, then in my opinion it needs to go all out to acquire as much exclusive quality content as it can lay its hands on.

Sky has major problems of its own to look forward to. They are unlikely to get a new exclusive HBO deal given the new strategy being adopted by that company and when existing rights with film studios are due to expire, they will be going head to head with some big players, such as Netflix and Amazon. Additionally, rights to the football premiership cannot be guaranteed for long, with increased competition being brought to bear from other players with deeper pockets. Malone's strategy is a pretty good one when seen in this light.

I do agree with you that the three big players will be Sky, Virgin Media and BT into the future, but I don't see Virgin falling behind BT.

As for the V6, I don't believe the adverse comments that we are hearing from detractors who don't know any more than the rest of us. I think it will be a good alternative to Sky Q, although whether it will be better we will find out when it is launched.
All very good points OB.
I think we can all agree the one thing that is for certain is the future is very exciting for tv and content.

---------- Post added at 14:36 ---------- Previous post was at 14:35 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincerooney View Post
It's been testing for months! Seems a bit over the top. as people can confirm it's been the channel I've been wanting for about 3 years

It's comedy gold
FOX news have pulled out of launching on vm from what i've heard, MB might know more.
theone2k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2016, 15:09   #2661
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:

The point is, the status quo on these exclusive deals cannot be guaranteed in this fast changing market.
Interestingly, in the Netherlands, HBO closed down its channels and on-demand service recently which were available on all platforms. Its content became exclusive to Ziggo, part of LibertyGlobal. Why? Because Ziggo opened its cheque book in the same way that Sky Atlantic has done. Money talks.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2016, 15:14   #2662
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Interestingly, in the Netherlands, HBO closed down its channels and on-demand service recently which were available on all platforms. Its content became exclusive to Ziggo, part of LibertyGlobal. Why? Because Ziggo opened its cheque book in the same way that Sky Atlantic has done. Money talks.
Hit the nail on the head money talks.
theone2k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2016, 16:10   #2663
passingbat
Inactive

Quote:

And that's why I think that in 2020, HBO will do a new deal with Sky
Old 27-10-2016, 16:32   #2664
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
I think it's highly likely as well. I think the only thing that may alter this would be if HBO's corporate strategy alters as a result of parent company TimeWarner being acquired by AT&T.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2016, 16:50   #2665
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Absolutely inevitable PB.
Old 27-10-2016, 16:55   #2666
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2k10 View Post
All very good points OB.
I think we can all agree the one thing that is for certain is the future is very exciting for tv and content.

---------- Post added at 14:36 ---------- Previous post was at 14:35 ----------

FOX news have pulled out of launching on vm from what i've heard, MB might know more.
So close and yet so far! How infuriating...

Oh well the chase continues for another 3 years
vincerooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2016, 18:43   #2667
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
I think it's highly likely as well. I think the only thing that may alter this would be if HBO's corporate strategy alters as a result of parent company TimeWarner being acquired by AT&T.
Yes, this is why I think that Sky exclusivity may end in 2020.

---------- Post added at 18:43 ---------- Previous post was at 18:35 ----------

Quote:

Well, I and many others are currently paying £6.99 per month for Now TV's Entertainment Pack, just to get Sky Atlantic. £10 per month seems a bit steep, but I guess that depends on what other content they may add to it. I might be prepared to pay it instead of subscribing to Now TV if that made sense.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2016, 19:30   #2668
Bananaman_007
Inactive

Bananaman_007 is just really niceBananaman_007 is just really niceBananaman_007 is just really niceBananaman_007 is just really niceBananaman_007 is just really niceBananaman_007 is just really nice

Its no secret that VM have tried to get Sky Atlantic but Sky wanted too much for it. Could we see a bidding war for the HBO content just like the Premier League? Sky, VM and BT all wanting the content and would be quite a feather in the cap for VM who are trying to get back in the content game. We know BT have deep pockets when it comes to things like this too.
Bananaman_007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2016, 19:40   #2669
telegramsam
telegramsam

Services: Sky Q,Multiscreen, Sky phone line, Sky broadband,Free view.
telegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananaman_007 View Post
Its no secret that VM have tried to get Sky Atlantic but Sky wanted too much for it. Could we see a bidding war for the HBO content just like the Premier League? Sky, VM and BT all wanting the content and would be quite a feather in the cap for VM who are trying to get back in the content game. We know BT have deep pockets when it comes to things like this too.
If Virgin enter a bidding war then there's no chance of them winning because they always want everything on the cheap!
telegramsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2016, 20:13   #2670
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananaman_007 View Post
Oh good grief I hope not , isn't the current high pricing of pay tv thanks in part to the Sports bidding war between Sky and BT.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote