Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2012) Vol. 2.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2012) Vol. 2.
Closed Thread

Old 27-06-2012, 14:21   #1366
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star
devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2012) Vol. 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
MRS doesn't need a firmware update as it's already there.
You must take care of your wife then mate
Advertisement
Old 27-06-2012, 14:24   #1367
bamav
cf.addict

Services: VM L TV powered by TiVo, 30MB BB, Sky Sports, Phone L, Freeview.
bamav is a name known to allbamav is a name known to allbamav is a name known to allbamav is a name known to allbamav is a name known to allbamav is a name known to allbamav is a name known to allbamav is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
In my view, some people just get stuck in old outmoded viewing habits and won't move with the times.
And that's why you wouldn't last long in VM's TiVo team. VM understand their customers and what their needs are. Maybe not the majority, but enough to listen and respond.

I think you'll find that not everyone has precisely the same methodology when watching, or recording television and that reminders, as has been discussed over and over, do suit some and not others.

'Reminders' hasn't broken or changed anything else, so the impact is zero to anyone who doesn't use them.
Old 27-06-2012, 14:24   #1368
trickytree
cf.addict

Services: VVIP500
trickytree has a spectacular aura about themtrickytree has a spectacular aura about themtrickytree has a spectacular aura about themtrickytree has a spectacular aura about them

Can someone who has the new software test the info button on a scheduled recording please and report back?
I bet that has still not been fixed from it's bodged implementation previously
Old 27-06-2012, 14:29   #1369
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
They probably won't be as the program still gets recorded.
I repeat it seems pointless to have a reminder that records. Its just a glorified red light!
Old 27-06-2012, 14:33   #1370
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamav View Post
so the impact is zero to anyone who doesn't use them.
Apart from using limited money and time resources that could have been used to add new, rather than outdated, functionality.

---------- Post added at 14:33 ---------- Previous post was at 14:30 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
I repeat it seems pointless to have a reminder that records. Its just a glorified red light!
No it's not. It auto switches to the 'reminder channel' which is what people have been asking for.
Old 27-06-2012, 14:36   #1371
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:

---------- Post added at 14:33 ---------- Previous post was at 14:30 ----------

No it's not. It auto switches to the 'reminder channel' which is what people have been asking for.
Well that makes all the difference. Switch & record what a great idea
You wanted to see this,here it is & we will record it as well
Old 27-06-2012, 14:39   #1372
bamav
cf.addict

bamav is a name known to allbamav is a name known to allbamav is a name known to allbamav is a name known to allbamav is a name known to allbamav is a name known to allbamav is a name known to allbamav is a name known to all

Quote:
Apart from using limited money and time resources that could have been used to add new, rather than outdated, functionality.
It would be interesting to know just how much time and money was spent on implementing them, but I have to say, if it was expensive or time consuming, then I doubt VM would've bothered.

It's not really outdated functionality if people are using it. Technology is there to serve needs, people aren't there to adapt to technology.
Old 27-06-2012, 15:01   #1373
passingbat
Inactive

passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
Well that makes all the difference. Switch & record what a great idea
You wanted to see this,here it is & we will record it as well
Agreed, it's not a perfect implementation of a reminder system, but it does provide the auto switching that was the main point people made in regard to wanting reminders.

Presumably, it was because Tivo was never designed to have reminders that this compromise implementation happened? I'm sure they could have got it to not record the reminder, but that would have cost even more development time and money.

---------- Post added at 15:01 ---------- Previous post was at 14:54 ----------

Quote:
[It's not really outdated functionality if people are using it. Technology is there to serve needs, people aren't there to adapt to technology.
Yes, but we all resist changing our established ways of operating, even when the new way is better.

The V+ did need a reminder function because one of the 3 channels didn't record. People have been asking for years for the V+ to make all it's 3 tuners record, rather than just 2 out of 3. Tivo did that, and eliminated the need for reminders.
Old 27-06-2012, 15:10   #1374
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
It's not really outdated functionality if people are using it. Technology is there to serve needs, people aren't there to adapt to technology.
It is outdated tbh, however VM customer are used to the feature and been using it for years when there was no PVR so it was the only option and still think they need it. However they just need to update their mind set to the modern world of 3 recordable tuners

People should adapt and they do, otherwise we would still be living in caves.
Old 27-06-2012, 15:26   #1375
bamav
cf.addict

Even if I had 10 tuners (which may come, who knows!), I think I would still set a reminder for a live event, or even a movie, that's starting that I'm keen and available to watch.

I have a 14 week old baby, and so more and more I'm finding that time flies by when it's feeding time, so a wee reminder that something's starting (and just as importantly - that recordings won't do) and switch the channel over for me (when I'm feeding a baby and can't quite reach the remote!).

I consider myself to be very adaptable and open to technology changes, but this is one wee bit of old school tech that still has a place in today's ever increasingly developing tech world of television viewing.
Old 27-06-2012, 15:32   #1376
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
I personally think that the money could could have been spent on far better things, but how is it a 'huge step backwards'?

People will get what they wanted: auto switching of the channel when their selected show starts.
I use reminders on the V+ to watch a programme live, when I am unable to record a programme due to all tuners being in use.

If all TiVo tuners are in use, so it is unable to record the reminded programme, will it still remind users and switch to that channel?
Old 27-06-2012, 15:33   #1377
Itshim
Do I care what you think

So does it "offer"
This is on do you want to record . If not do you want to switch,
Or is a case of "TiVO don`t care". This is what you get and it is "record & switch" ( now were have I heard that catchy name before). Yet again nearly there but not quite. What I wanted is - This is on in "x" minutes would you like to change at start. As simple yes or no would be great.
Old 27-06-2012, 15:40   #1378
passingbat
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
I use reminders on the V+ to watch a programme live, when I am unable to record a programme due to all tuners being in use.
Reminders were useful on V+

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
If all TiVo tuners are in use, so it is unable to record the reminded programme, will it still remind users and switch to that channel
Sorry, I don't know. Only a few people have the upgrade.
Old 27-06-2012, 16:41   #1379
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Bio HD will not launch on Virgin Media after all - as Sky Viewers say goodbye to it on Monday.

An Sky worker via DS Forum has confrimed that Bio.HD is to close next week on the 3rd July 2012.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showp...&postcount=109
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Old 27-06-2012, 16:44   #1380
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Media Boy View Post
Bio HD to close on Tuesday.

An Sky worker via DS Forum has confrimed that Bio.HD is to close next week on the 3rd July 2012.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showp...&postcount=109

Crime & Investigation Network HD will reuse Bio HD broadcasting hours from that day.
Well seeing we never had the HD version on Virgin then we certainly will not miss it MB.