Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2012) Vol. 2.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2012) Vol. 2.
Closed Thread

Old 27-06-2012, 13:40   #1351
nicko
cf.addict

Services: 30 mb broadband & phone
nicko is just really nicenicko is just really nicenicko is just really nicenicko is just really nicenicko is just really nicenicko is just really nice
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2012) Vol. 2.

It isn't wasted time, how can it be the customers want it, Virgin wouldn't have done it without a demand for it.
Running a business should be about looking after your customers wants and needs, and with this update Virgin have done that, so it can't be wasted time
Advertisement
Old 27-06-2012, 13:41   #1352
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
All it does is pop up a reminder that it is starting, TiVo will still record it. Which I think is a waste of time but I'm guessing due to the y TiVo works is the only way they could implement it.

Someone has posted that it auto switches to output the 'reminder channel'. Is this not the case?
Old 27-06-2012, 13:43   #1353
nicko
cf.addict

Services: 30 mb broadband & phone
nicko is just really nicenicko is just really nicenicko is just really nicenicko is just really nicenicko is just really nicenicko is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
Someone has posted that it auto switches to output the 'reminder channel'. Is this not the case?

Yes it is, the default is to change channel.
Old 27-06-2012, 13:43   #1354
tycho
Inactive

tycho is an unknown quantity at this point

If it's a pilot of the next firmware update (in full? Ben was't specific), then can anyone with the update advise what else there is in addition to reminders - I'd hate reminders to be the ONLY noticable change.......

Specifically, if anyone can test if they have enabled Multiroom Streaming that would be great

Cheers
T
Old 27-06-2012, 13:47   #1355
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycho View Post
If it's a pilot of the next firmware update (in full? Ben was't specific), then can anyone with the update advise what else there is in addition to reminders - I'd hate reminders to be the ONLY noticable change.......

Specifically, if anyone can test if they have enabled Multiroom Streaming that would be great

Cheers
T
I believe you can now set global recording options for single recordings, series links and Wishlists, and that there are less screens in playing VoD from a Search
Old 27-06-2012, 13:51   #1356
tycho
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
I believe you can now set global recording options for single recordings, series links and Wishlists, and that there are less screens in playing VoD from a Search
Many thanks for the info Ben, much apprecaited!

No MRS then <sobs>....
Old 27-06-2012, 13:52   #1357
passingbat
Inactive

passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicko View Post
It isn't wasted time, how can it be the customers want it,
It's debatable as to wheather that was a small proportion of customers who moaned very loudly.

In my view, some people just get stuck in old outmoded viewing habits and won't move with the times.

That development money could have been spent on other things; for example, a way of backing up series links and Whishlists. Because, unlike with V+ or Sky boxes, series links last forever (not just for a season), you need these and whishlists protecting in case of a box failure.

Maybe we would have multiroom by now if resources hadn't been tied up in providing reminders?
Old 27-06-2012, 13:53   #1358
mentalis
cf.geek

Services: | Freeview | VirginTV XL with TiVo | BB L | Phone M |
mentalis is just really nicementalis is just really nicementalis is just really nicementalis is just really nicementalis is just really nicementalis is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadge View Post
Reminders have finally arrived on tivo.
I look forward to trying this tonight.
Old 27-06-2012, 13:54   #1359
passingbat
Inactive

Quote:
I believe you can now set global recording options for single recordings, series links and Wishlists,
Now, that will be a good upgrade!
Old 27-06-2012, 13:59   #1360
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycho View Post
No MRS then <sobs>....
MRS doesn't need a firmware update as it's already there.

What it will need is a full end to end support model and product i.e. how Virgin recommend connecting two TiVos together
Old 27-06-2012, 14:09   #1361
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
What I meant was that it still records the program. So reminders seem a bit pointless.
Old 27-06-2012, 14:09   #1362
tycho
Inactive

Quote:
MRS doesn't need a firmware update as it's already there.

What it will need is a full end to end support model and product i.e. how Virgin recommend connecting two TiVos together
Hi Ben,

Thanks for that - I appreciate MRS is down to a licencing issue and a 'How to do it in a user friendy way' - I guess i was just hoping that they would use this next update to turn it on, in much the same way they used the last update to turn the Sky PIP on, even though that was only disabled due to a licencing agreement, rather than needing any technical work to fix.

Looks like this isn't going to happen this time.

Just out of interest, do you beleive that even if the licencing is sorted, that deployment will be delayed untill the connection improvement method is decided upon - even though many of us are more that happy to use Cat5/6 cables that we already have in place?

Dont take this as having a go - i'm genuinly interested - I just cant see the logic in denying those of us that can use it today, whilst you wait for something that can help the masses tomorrow.

Regards
T
Old 27-06-2012, 14:11   #1363
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

To be honest, I've got no idea as to the progress of any connection solution
Old 27-06-2012, 14:15   #1364
passingbat
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
So reminders seem a bit pointless.
You don't need to tell me that; implementing reminders was a waste of development resources in my view. But those who wanted auto channel change for a specific show have now got that, so hopefully they will be happy.
Old 27-06-2012, 14:18   #1365
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
You don't need to tell me that; implementing reminders was a waste of development resources in my view. But those who wanted auto channel change for a specific show have now got that, so hopefully they will be happy.
They probably won't be as the program still gets recorded.