Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Sky Anytime+ Vs Virgin Media VOD

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Sky Anytime+ Vs Virgin Media VOD

Old 28-02-2011, 20:31   #46
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Sky Anytime+ Vs Virgin Media VOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersey70 View Post
It's nothing like BT vision, I had BTV before VM.

You only have to download HD on BTV, anything else plays immediately.
I've had BT Vision and IMHO the VOD was great apart from HD , and it plays straight away.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-02-2011, 20:31   #47
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star
devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star

Quote:
It's nothing like BT vision, I had BTV before VM.

You only have to download HD on BTV, anything else plays immediately.
Sorry i have not had either BTV or SKY anytime
devilincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2011, 20:36   #48
mersey70
Inactive

Services: TV M, L BB, Sky+ HD
mersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
I've had BT Vision and IMHO the VOD was great apart from HD , and it plays straight away.
It is superior content wise to VM's (HD aside) in my opinion but that's what you pay for really, as you well know it is a VOD service and freeview with a few pay options.

It isn't an add on to the main service like VM and Sky so BT's content should be better really.
mersey70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2011, 20:38   #49
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
It is superior content wise to VM's (HD aside) in my opinion but that's what you pay for really, as you well know it is a VOD service and freeview with a few pay options.

It isn't an add on to the main service like VM and Sky so BT's content should be better really.
Would agree with that the VOD content was good.
Old 28-02-2011, 21:01   #50
xthedarkhourx
Inactive

Services: Virgin TV XL V+ Sky Sports M Phone L BB
xthedarkhourx is on a distinguished roadxthedarkhourx is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to xthedarkhourx

I've never used Sky Anytime via the STB, however I do use it via my xbox. I think Virgin have an excellent VOD system & I use it on a very regular basis. Most of what I want to watch is on there.

On the flip side I think the sky xbox application is very good and the selection of films is excellent. I must admit that the selection of standard programming isn't great but I use VM VOD for that. The picture quality on the xbox sky player is always good, the application looks great and is very easy to use.

It's a shame that Virgin & Sky haven't come to some agreement with regards to films through VOD for Sky Movies subscribers. I'm talking in an ideal world as I know Sky aren't likely to willingly help VM improve their VOD content which they know is generally better than their own.
xthedarkhourx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2011, 21:30   #51
mersey70
Inactive

mersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by xthedarkhourx View Post
I've never used Sky Anytime via the STB, however I do use it via my xbox. I think Virgin have an excellent VOD system & I use it on a very regular basis. Most of what I want to watch is on there.

On the flip side I think the sky xbox application is very good and the selection of films is excellent. I must admit that the selection of standard programming isn't great but I use VM VOD for that. The picture quality on the xbox sky player is always good, the application looks great and is very easy to use.

It's a shame that Virgin & Sky haven't come to some agreement with regards to films through VOD for Sky Movies subscribers. I'm talking in an ideal world as I know Sky aren't likely to willingly help VM improve their VOD content which they know is generally better than their own.
Wouldn't that be great, sadly there's probably about as much chance of VAT going down to 10% and petrol to 50p a litre as it happening without regulatory changes.
Old 28-02-2011, 23:21   #52
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Don't criticize VM at all on here
Don't question anyone if they do criticise VM, don't even think of saying they may be wrong
Digital Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:47   #53
mersey70
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic View Post
Don't question anyone if they do criticise VM, don't even think of saying they may be wrong
His comments were aimed at my post, albeit tongue in cheek.

I think the post was balanced. Far, far more balanced than some other posters can manage on here.

But as you say I may be wrong.

(For the record unlike some people here I had BT Vision for a year, used VM for over a year and have been using Sky Anytime+ periodically for a few months now which is possibly why I was able to give a balanced critique)
Old 01-03-2011, 10:25   #54
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
His comments were aimed at my post, albeit tongue in cheek.

I think the post was balanced. Far, far more balanced than some other posters can manage on here.

But as you say I may be wrong.

(For the record unlike some people here I had BT Vision for a year, used VM for over a year and have been using Sky Anytime+ periodically for a few months now which is possibly why I was able to give a balanced critique)
All my points are balanced I'm no fanboy of any platform , if it was to be a balanced argument we could compare other products say Sky player vs VM player but on a cable forum we wouldn't go there.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:29   #55
BenJSmyth
Inactive

Services: Sky TV in the living room, Freeview in the bedroom. Plusnet Unlimited Fibre
BenJSmyth is a glorious beacon of lightBenJSmyth is a glorious beacon of lightBenJSmyth is a glorious beacon of lightBenJSmyth is a glorious beacon of lightBenJSmyth is a glorious beacon of lightBenJSmyth is a glorious beacon of lightBenJSmyth is a glorious beacon of light

I used to have Tiscali TV a couple of years where I wasn't allowed a Sky dish on the building and it wasn't in a VM area. I have to say the OD content on that was pretty good. It also had it's own channel where you could "reserve" all the things you wanted to watch from the OD demand content, same with the music.

This meant you could browse for films and bookmark them effectively, then go to channel on the STB and they were all listed, just one click and you were off. That was very good. NO HD on there though and all the data came down my 7mb Tiscali internet connection.
BenJSmyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:48   #56
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJSmyth View Post
I used to have Tiscali TV a couple of years where I wasn't allowed a Sky dish on the building and it wasn't in a VM area. I have to say the OD content on that was pretty good. It also had it's own channel where you could "reserve" all the things you wanted to watch from the OD demand content, same with the music.

This meant you could browse for films and bookmark them effectively, then go to channel on the STB and they were all listed, just one click and you were off. That was very good. NO HD on there though and all the data came down my 7mb Tiscali internet connection.
The BT broadband network currently restricts these services however that will change.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:04   #57
mersey70
Inactive

Quote:
All my points are balanced I'm no fanboy of any platform , if it was to be a balanced argument we could compare other products say Sky player vs VM player but on a cable forum we wouldn't go there.
I totally agree mate, it wasn't you I was referring to at all.

---------- Post added at 11:04 ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 ----------

Quote:
The BT broadband network currently restricts these services however that will change.
Sadly I don't think TalkTalk (nee Tiscali) market their TV services anymore to new customers, I could be wrong though.

My exchange isn't enabled for it but most around here are though.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:08   #58
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

I would go as far to say BT Visions OD content was the best of them all by a country mile , but sadly the rest was just freeview , and HD would be nice.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:18   #59
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Gotta love the way that in one thread a guy comments on Sky locking away VoD rights they can't use, and in this one is gloating over Sky's apparent lack of VoD content
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:35   #60
mersey70
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
Gotta love the way that in one thread a guy comments on Sky locking away VoD rights they can't use, and in this one is gloating over Sky's apparent lack of VoD content
I don't really understand people who say Sky don't use the VOD rights, they do. There are loads of films to choose from.

I have used the service myself, the UI aside technically it isn't as advanced as VM's and there's no doubt about that but the content is there, unless i'm imagining it. And it is relatively new, maybe the content will build over time like VM's did.

If they are not using it why on earth would they launch the service, that dosen't seem Sky's style to me as they use their vast content library as a battering ram.

Whether or not they allow other operators access or at a reasonable price is a different argument altogether. I hate those sort of tricks as much as anyone too.