Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coming soon to Virgin TV (2012) Vol. 1

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Coming soon to Virgin TV (2012) Vol. 1
Closed Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 02:10   #121
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Re: Coming soon to Virgin TV (2012) Vol. 1.

I just watched an advert for SKY Atlantic on ITV showing some of the programming coming soon to the channel in 2012. The advert ends by confirming the channel is exclusive to SKY TV customers.

It continues to look like SKY Atlantic will not be on Virgin for the foreseeable future. In fact I'd be very surprised if it arrived at all in 2012.

We've all seen the viewing figures for SKY Atlantic. Whilst HBO will be happy with the money they receive from SKY, surely the lack of exposure their programming gets must effect their DVD and Blu-Ray sales in the UK. I noticed Boardwalk Empire is released on DVD and Blu-Ray on Monday. It'll be interesting after a few months to see how well it has sold.
Advertisement
Old 08-01-2012, 02:12   #122
Jameseh

Surely it would improve DVD/BD sales? Sky market Atlantic like there is no tomorrow so people who don't have Sky would presumably then go searching for the show on Amazon, etc.

Old 08-01-2012, 02:45   #123
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameseh View Post
Surely it would improve DVD/BD sales? Sky market Atlantic like there is no tomorrow so people who don't have Sky would presumably then go searching for the show on Amazon, etc.
It's a really interesting point you raise, which upon consideration I really can't argue with.

Personally I think anyone who was desperate to see the show, which started on SKY Atlantic almost 11 months ago, would have already either joined SKY or downloaded the show via some torrent tracker for free a long time ago. Almost a year between a shows TV debut, and the DVD release, is a pretty long time by today's standards.

Maybe if HBO's UK DVD and Blu-Ray sales figures are terrible, they might put pressure on SKY to make either SKY Atlantic or their own programming available on other platforms, even on an on demand basis.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/ratin...ancel-a,63803/

"The network has also been far more aggressive about online streaming and DVD sales. Having realized too late what big sellers DVDs for Deadwood, Rome, and Carnivale were, the network now bases a substantial portion of its strategy on what will return good profits on DVD."
Old 08-01-2012, 08:28   #124
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameseh View Post
Most Sky Atlantic ads are on Sky owned channels, I don't watch any Sky branded/owned channels, so I haven't seen any ads for this channel
Old 08-01-2012, 09:46   #125
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
I just watched an advert for SKY Atlantic on ITV showing some of the programming coming soon to the channel in 2012. The advert ends by confirming the channel is exclusive to SKY TV customers.
Yes seen it myself there seems some decent content in my opinion.
http://skyatlantic.sky.com/shows/new...atlantic-shows

Quote:
It continues to look like SKY Atlantic will not be on Virgin for the foreseeable future. In fact I'd be very surprised if it arrived at all
Only Sky no the answer to that , I suspect they use it
as a USP for the Sky platform maybe they'll do the same with other channels hope not though.

Quote:
Whilst HBO will be happy with the money they receive from SKY, surely the lack of exposure their programming gets
Lack of exposure , it's advertised every two minutes on TV , billboards , magazines etc and as Jameseh says the DVD sales are probably just doing fine with viewers who can't get Atlantic.

---------- Post added at 09:46 ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic View Post
Most Sky Atlantic ads are on Sky owned channels, I don't watch any Sky branded/owned channels, so I haven't seen any ads for this channel
I find that amazing but hey that's the beauty of multichannel pay TV
Old 08-01-2012, 10:56   #126
richard1960

Services: vm broadband tvxl TiVo, v+ sky sports and phone.

Quote:

It continues to look like SKY Atlantic will not be on Virgin for the foreseeable future. In fact I'd be very surprised if it arrived at all in 2012.

We've all seen the viewing figures for SKY Atlantic. Whilst HBO will be happy with the money they receive from SKY, surely the lack of exposure their programming gets must effect their DVD and Blu-Ray sales in the UK. I noticed Boardwalk Empire is released on DVD and Blu-Ray on Monday. It'll be interesting after a few months to see how well it has sold.
Not sure about it affecting HBO series DVD sales i bought curb your enthusiasm the whole box set on DVD purely so i would not have to rely on re-runs on atlantic, which of course we do not have,its the only HBO show i watch to be honest.

And yes i canot see atlantic arriving anytime soon still personally i can live without it.

Until sky decide it no longer serves their purpose to keep it exclusive.

Old 08-01-2012, 11:53   #127
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
I find that amazing but hey that's the beauty of multichannel pay TV
Indeed

I don't watch Sky1, News, sports or Movies. Don't watch Living or Challenge. It's not to spite myself, I just don't find anything of any interest on those channels.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:56   #128
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Indeed

I don't watch Sky1, News, sports or Movies. Don't watch Living or Challenge. It's not to spite myself, I just don't find anything of any interest on those channels.
So what do you watch big man.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:10   #129
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
So what do you watch big man.
BBC1,2,3 & 4 & HD, Ch4 HD, Ch5 HD, FX HD, some Discovery/Docu channels. FilmFlex, some TV Choice....
Old 08-01-2012, 12:24   #130
Henkesghost
Sceptic

Henkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronze
Henkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronzeHenkesghost is cast in bronze

Quote:
BBC1,2,3 & 4 & HD, Ch4 HD, Ch5 HD, FX HD, some Discovery/Docu channels. FilmFlex, some TV Choice....
No Sky one no Sky Sports! Glad I'm not in competition wi you for the remote control
Old 08-01-2012, 12:28   #131
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Seems a very reasonable choice and l know l should use TV choice a bit more as there are thousands of hours of content on there at a touch of a button..
Old 08-01-2012, 12:53   #132
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkesghost View Post
No Sky one no Sky Sports! Glad I'm not in competition wi you for the remote control
lol
Old 08-01-2012, 13:06   #133
LexDiamond
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD, Sky Unlimited BB and Sky landline
LexDiamond has reached the bronze age
LexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze age

Quote:

Is that really the case though? I ask because I don't know the viewing figured but I would have thought HBO shows aren't mainstream anyway, at least in the UK.

I doubt HBO cares if VM show its shows or not. If they really were then HBO themselves wouldn't have stopped dealing with VM directly for On Demand content! HBO get a lump sum from Sky so its win win for them.

I doubt viewing figures matter that much for Atlantic. It is a niche channel that runs mostly what I would call shows that have a small cult following as its flagship shows.
Old 08-01-2012, 14:41   #134
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:

Well, at the moment, Sky Atlantic is exclusive to Sky TV customers. That doesn't mean to say that it will be next month, or even next week. At the time of the advert, the statement was true.

No-one outside of the industry knows whether Sky Atlantic will be coming to VM, but I still believe that there is a good chance it will come to us after the first anniversary of its launch.
Old 08-01-2012, 14:48   #135
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Well, at the moment, Sky Atlantic is exclusive to Sky TV customers. That doesn't mean to say that it will be next month, or even next week. At the time of the advert, the statement was true.

No-one outside of the industry knows whether Sky Atlantic will be coming to VM, but I still believe that there is a good chance it will come to us after the first anniversary of its launch.
Lets hope so.