Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Will you buy The Sun on Sunday?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Will you buy The Sun on Sunday?
View Poll Results: Will you buy The Sun on Sunday?
Yes 16 13.33%
No 95 79.17%
Occasionally 6 5.00%
Unsure 3 2.50%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Old 28-02-2012, 17:13   #181
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Re: Will you buy The Sun on Sunday?

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
High praise, mate, coming from you. If only you knew . . .
Sorry but if you are still insisting that the paper only came together in 7 days then you are delusional as it is not possible in the real world.

It has been planned for months as that amount of work and preparation takes time and effort.

If a certain Mr Murdoch read these posts he would be laughing up his sleeve because some people have fell for the hype.

Even if you are an employee and you believe this I wonder at the kind of staff employed and what criteria they are using to recruit them, I also wonder is the vehicle below driven by any of those new employees.

Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-02-2012, 17:16   #182
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

It was probably decided the same moment the decision was made to stop the NOTW.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2012, 17:24   #183
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_ View Post
Sorry but if you are still insisting that the paper only came together in 7 days then you are delusional as it is not possible in the real world.

It has been planned for months as that amount of work and preparation takes time and effort.

If a certain Mr Murdoch read these posts he would be laughing up his sleeve because some people have fell for the hype.

Even if you are an employee and you believe this I wonder at the kind of staff employed and what criteria they are using to recruit them, I also wonder is the vehicle below driven by any of those new employees.

All they had to do was add the words "Sunday" and "on" to the title page ,print some stories that didn't get used the previous week and bob's your uncle the Sun on Sunday is born all the staff where already in place
Old 28-02-2012, 17:35   #184
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Services: 3 phone lines, 100mb broadband, and TV x2 (including one Tivo)
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze age
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
The point of the comparison was to show that it isn't difficult to do something new at short notice, even if that new thing is outside of the norm for the organisation concerned.

However, producing a newspaper is the same process, regardless of whether it's a regional or a national title. The national title requires more staff to make it happen but the process is not new; it is well understood and not at all complicated for an organisation with sufficient staff and expertise to pull off.

I'm surprised you're not already aware of this, given your family connections.
It is easy to pull off on a local level, where the logistics are in place, and it only takes paying overtime to staff to do another press run.

However with a national paper it takes a huge amount of logistical organisation. Although the print run probably isn't any more of a problem than it is for a local paper.

I'm not saying it would be impossible, but it would cause many problems. It would be very nieve of anyone to think that senior management hadn't been planning this for a long time.

---------- Post added at 17:35 ---------- Previous post was at 17:33 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
It was probably decided the same moment the decision was made to stop the NOTW.
I think you are probably right. Many people (including myself) predicted it on that very day. So it certainly didn't come out of the blue for senior management.
Tim Deegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2012, 18:04   #185
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
All they had to do was add the words "Sunday" and "on" to the title page ,print some stories that didn't get used the previous week and bob's your uncle the Sun on Sunday is born all the staff where already in place
It was not an unplanned event by a very long chalk otherwise no one would have even advertised in the rag.
Old 28-02-2012, 18:11   #186
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
It was not an unplanned event by a very long chalk otherwise no one would have even advertised in the rag.
Probably was planned or at least the idea has been floating around since the NOTW closed but the point Chris is making and i would bow to his expertise in this matter is that from taking a decision to print the paper on a sunday to actually having a viable paper would probably only take a few days because the staff ,news items,advertisers and infrastructure where already in place
Old 28-02-2012, 18:17   #187
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
Probably was planned or at least the idea has been floating around since the NOTW closed but the point Chris is making and i would bow to his expertise in this matter is that from taking a decision to print the paper on a sunday to actually having a viable paper would probably only take a few days because the staff ,news items,advertisers and infrastructure where already in place
No way was it decided to print in less than a week not unless they had help from the A-Team.
Old 28-02-2012, 18:22   #188
marko
cf.member

marko has disabled reputation

Quote:

I give up, mate. I really do. For something closer to the truth, see martyH's posts. As I originally said, staff piled in at a moment's notice to produce the first new paper. It was on a day they were supposed to be off, so plans were cancelled, arrangements trashed, and all those who could practically come in made themselves available. I'm not saying plans for the paper weren't made in advance - it's a reasonable assumption that they were. But when the starting gun was fired it came as a genuine surprise to most, if not all, and staff were required instantly to rally round, which they did. It really shouldn't be that hard to understand, Peter, but you're making extremely heavy weather of it. Anyway, no point falling out - life's too short!
marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2012, 18:23   #189
martyh

Quote:
No way was it decided to print in less than a week not unless they had help from the A-Team.
You do realise that it's not a new paper as such it is effectively just a sunday run of the weekday paper
Old 28-02-2012, 18:23   #190
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
The very most senior staff will have had the date in mind for some time. The point is, it is not necessary from a production point of view to tell all the staff what's planned some time in advance.

Don't be fooled by the dribbling of those who haven't been there - modern newspaper production is an efficient, scalable process. This was entirely within the means of a large, wealthy company like NI and its large, skilled workforce.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2012, 19:09   #191
snowey
Inactive

Services: Virgin media, tv, telephone, cable bb,30mb,mobile, tivo.
snowey is a jewel in the roughsnowey is a jewel in the roughsnowey is a jewel in the roughsnowey is a jewel in the roughsnowey is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic View Post
No. I won't be buying this paper.
Me to.......
snowey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2012, 20:07   #192
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Services: 3 phone lines, 100mb broadband, and TV x2 (including one Tivo)
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze age
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
The very most senior staff will have had the date in mind for some time. The point is, it is not necessary from a production point of view to tell all the staff what's planned some time in advance.

Don't be fooled by the dribbling of those who haven't been there - modern newspaper production is an efficient, scalable process. This was entirely within the means of a large, wealthy company like NI and its large, skilled workforce.
We are all just speculating. The only people who know for sure are those in senior management at the Sun (unless of course a newsagent is going to tell us that they knew weeks ago).

Chris says it would in theory have been possible to do it all in a week. But most of us believe it was planned a long time ago....does it really matter? The fact is that one gutter press Sunday paper has just been replaced with another.
Tim Deegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2012, 20:55   #193
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowey View Post
Me to.......
Add me to that.
Old 28-02-2012, 21:18   #194
paulsouth

Services: sky+hd 1TB freeview virgin bb 30mbps

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Will you buy The Sun on Sunday?

The simple answer is no.
i did buy it on sunday..
Old 28-02-2012, 21:22   #195
Arthurgray50@blu
cf.mega poster

Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal

Its a Tory paper, and l hate anything associated with the Tories.
Arthurgray50@blu is offline   Reply With Quote