Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Hub 3.0

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Hub 3.0

Old 27-04-2016, 21:13   #31
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Re: Hub 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipp View Post
no. my base ping has increased since installing the new hub 3.0 . you can see the affect by pinging the modem itself.

I see others connecting with 12/16 channels with the new hub and that will be the maximum channels allocated to their area so its a configuration thingat the ubr. No matter what channel set you get locked on (they share 4 channels) the congestion is there anyway.
What is "base ping"? Pinging what from where? When I ping my modem from inside the LAN, it's 1,2 or 3 ms.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-04-2016, 21:43   #32
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
So you'd rather that everyone connected to all the available channels other than load balancing across them which may reduce the impact of the congestion?
That's what's supposed to happen. Someone's messed up configuration if the guy is only getting 9 of the 12 channels.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2016, 22:07   #33
philipp
Inactive

Services: vivid 200. 3 tivos with all main channels.
philipp is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
What is "base ping"? Pinging what from where? When I ping my modem from inside the LAN, it's 1,2 or 3 ms.
I'm on the retail customer firmware (if that makes a difference)

It is usually between them, but the several pings within a 100 pings go high (to maybe 5 to 10 ms). As you can see from the changeover date here the green/blue line is higher:

Also the sharptooth effect of the max latency is always like in this graph and doesn't settle down. Congestion in my area starts around 6-7pm and ends @ 11-1am (anywhere between 10mb to 50-60mb is obtained at these times. Its fully random). full speed is obtained at other times of the day. The red lines are me restarting or work done today at the local cab.

---------- Post added at 22:07 ---------- Previous post was at 22:02 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
That's what's supposed to happen. Someone's messed up configuration if the guy is only getting 9 of the 12 channels.
Is it worth posting to the community forums about it? I know my modem can lock onto all 12 (but only 9 at the time) as restarting the hub sometimes changes the channels.

Its a cisco ubr and only recently (December last year) the work was done for the extra channels. However the speed upgrade in my area is not active yet for all users between July-September. (Got it early due to retentions deal)
philipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2016, 22:21   #34
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
However the speed upgrade in my area is not active yet for all users between July-September. (Got it early due to retentions deal)
This could explain the config error Igni referred to perhaps?
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2016, 15:16   #35
MUD_Wizard
Inactive

MUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to beholdMUD_Wizard is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I have a hub 3.0 running in modem mode as I went through retentions to improve the price of my package.

The only issues I have are:

1. the increase ping for the router. (I believe this is better on the beta firmware).
Your BQM looks "normal" for a 9 channel Hub 3.

I'm on the latest trial firmware 9.1.88T, with 16 channels.

BQM in router mode:

Quote:
2. my hub locks on 9 downstreams only. I know there are 12 active in my area.

Presumably its done that on the pool at the ubr level (I see some other people stats on the community forum only having 9 downstreams). My area suffers from congestion in peak times. (its still usable though) so I was hoping to lock onto more downstreams from the start.
Look-up the first 3 octets of your CMTS MAC address (found in your network log) on here: http://wintelguy.com/

What manufacturer does it say?
MUD_Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2016, 16:37   #36
philipp
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUD_Wizard View Post
Your BQM looks "normal" for a 9 channel Hub 3.

I'm on the latest trial firmware 9.1.88T, with 16 channels.

BQM in router mode:

Look-up the first 3 octets of your CMTS MAC address (found in your network log) on here: http://wintelguy.com/

What manufacturer does it say?

Its a cisco ubr. (708105)
I know theres 12 downstreams available in total in the area. channels 121-128 105 (which should be 129 probably misnamed) and 130-132 . either lock on to 121-128 and 132 or 105, 125-132 and 121.
I guess its an old cisco with max 10 channels and virgin give 9 instead? oh well. roll on the ubr upgrades
Old 28-04-2016, 17:24   #37
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Its a cisco ubr. (708105)
I know theres 12 downstreams available in total in the area. channels 121-128 105 (which should be 129 probably misnamed) and 130-132 . either lock on to 121-128 and 132 or 105, 125-132 and 121.
I guess its an old cisco with max 10 channels and virgin give 9 instead? oh well. roll on the ubr upgrades
You just said it was max 10 but that there were 12 available

In some areas on the 10k there are 12 channels. Go by frequencies rather than channel IDs to count them.

If there are 12 available and you're only locking 9 someone forgot to change the configuration when the new SPA was installed.
Old 28-04-2016, 18:01   #38
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Mine is still Cisco based on the MAC address - 16 DS channels.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2016, 18:07   #39
philipp
Inactive

Quote:
You just said it was max 10 but that there were 12 available

In some areas on the 10k there are 12 channels. Go by frequencies rather than channel IDs to count them.

If there are 12 available and you're only locking 9 someone forgot to change the configuration when the new SPA was installed.

OK I will get the full frequency count the next time I change the channel groups.

this is what I'm currently locked on to:

1 323000000 5.5 40.3 256 qam 132
2 315000000 5 40.3 256 qam 131
3 307000000 3.7 40.3 256 qam 130
4 299000000 3.9 38.9 256 qam 105
5 291000000 4.1 38.9 256 qam 128
6 283000000 4.3 40.3 256 qam 127
7 275000000 4.6 40.3 256 qam 126
8 267000000 3.7 40.3 256 qam 125
9 235000000 4.5 40.9 256 qam 121

As you can see the frequencies between 8 and 9 listed here are available. I'll post on the community forums to see if theres a mistake configuration. phone support will be non-existant on this issue.
Old 28-04-2016, 18:32   #40
Martin_D
cf.geek

Services: YouFibre | Lebara Sim x 2| Plex
Martin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Mine is still Cisco based on the MAC address - 16 DS channels.
Same
Martin_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2016, 18:45   #41
Gobble
cf.addict

Services: Gig1 SH4-AX86U, Stream
Gobble is just really niceGobble is just really niceGobble is just really niceGobble is just really niceGobble is just really niceGobble is just really nice

Well I've finally moved onto the new Cisco cBR-8 with all the bells and whistles and surprised to see only 8 channels down. Upstream is finally 64QAM though
Gobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2016, 18:51   #42
philipp
Inactive

well I posted on the community forums in http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...e/td-p/3100991

Thanks for everyone responses.

hopefully it will be flagged for networks to sort out. The speed upgrade here is not happning for all until July-September so maybe I will be getting a new ubr anyway then.
Old 28-04-2016, 20:21   #43
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Quote:
As you can see the frequencies between 8 and 9 listed here are available. I'll post on the community forums to see if theres a mistake configuration. phone support will be non-existant on this issue.
Yeah there's 12 there alright. They need to get that sorted.

---------- Post added at 20:20 ---------- Previous post was at 20:18 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobble View Post
Well I've finally moved onto the new Cisco cBR-8 with all the bells and whistles and surprised to see only 8 channels down. Upstream is finally 64QAM though
Sure you're on a cBR-8? How do you know?

---------- Post added at 20:21 ---------- Previous post was at 20:20 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin_D View Post
Same
At the end of your cable modem, via a bunch of coax and fibre, you'll find one of these.
Old 28-04-2016, 20:43   #44
Martin_D
cf.geek

Services: YouFibre | Lebara Sim x 2| Plex
Martin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to beholdMartin_D is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Yeah there's 12 there alright. They need to get that sorted.

---------- Post added at 20:20 ---------- Previous post was at 20:18 ----------

Sure you're on a cBR-8? How do you know?

---------- Post added at 20:21 ---------- Previous post was at 20:20 ----------

At the end of your cable modem, via a bunch of coax and fibre, you'll find one of these.
So am still on the old CMTS they just added this to it. ?
Martin_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2016, 21:06   #45
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Unless your IP address changed and you moved to a new CMTS there, yes indeed.