Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | I fancy getting a 27 inch monitor

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

I fancy getting a 27 inch monitor

Old 13-04-2014, 14:53   #1
techguyone
Deus Vult

Services: VM M350 with Superhub4 (modem mode) > Anytime Chatter > No TV
techguyone has reached the bronze age
techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to techguyone
I fancy getting a 27 inch monitor

Any suggestions?

Prefer HDMI input, non glossy screen

low response time (for gaming)

Perhaps IPS so I can colour calibrate. (photo editing)

I've used Samsung in the past with no issues

Not needing speakers on it.
techguyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-04-2014, 16:01   #2
tizmeinnit

Re: I fancy getting a 27 inch monitor

ive already got one lol

Ive just got an LG 3d tv screen with led backlight
Old 13-04-2014, 16:32   #3
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Services: LL Phone, TiVo, M+ VM mobile, BBand 150M tier Superhub, TIVO 500 M+
Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by techguyone View Post
Any suggestions?

Prefer HDMI input, non glossy screen

low response time (for gaming)

Perhaps IPS so I can colour calibrate. (photo editing)

I've used Samsung in the past with no issues

Not needing speakers on it.
I am using a IIyama 27" B2780HSU which I find very good.
Ken W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2014, 16:54   #4
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

I have 2 x Acer 271HL and find them great.
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2014, 18:30   #5
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Services: Vivid 200, Full House, V6 x2
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star

The other question would be:

1920x1080 or 2560x1440

I would fancy the latter purely for the real-estate benefit but there's a fair old price difference.
Uncle Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2014, 19:23   #6
techguyone
Deus Vult

techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age

I'm good with 1920 x 1080 as it's better on my eyes , and my wife's eyes are even worse..

I believe I may have a contender

BenQ GW2760HS

Here's a write up from TFT Central

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/benq_gw2760hs.htm

I will however, have to just check on the physical size as my desk space isn't unlimited, but I *think* it'll fit on ok.

My first monitor was a 13 inch CRT, 27 inches is a leap from that
Old 14-04-2014, 00:54   #7
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

I'm finding an AOC 27" TN panel based 1080p monitor fine for my gaming needs.

IPS panels might be great but I understand they struggle with the refresh rate, offset by the colour clarity. But refresh rate and all may also depend on your graphics card's potency.

As a desktop I don't see a need for a screen bigger than 27". You are sitting too close to it to appreciate much more real estate in your field of vision. But the next step up may be the 2560 resolutions, as and when the next games can take real advantage of that. 4K stuff is plain futuristic, and at the 27" resolutions seems a little pointless?
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2014, 08:21   #8
techguyone
Deus Vult

Agreed, I have a Nvidia 780 so gpu isn't gong to be an issue.

Much more than 27 means you would have to turn your head from side to side to see all of the screen when you're sat at a desk

2560 for me would be too hi res for text, and more so for my wife, I did think long and hard on this. I think having the equivalent of a slightly scaled up in size desktop compared to my 24 inch will be just fine (not forgetting I can't physically fit a bigger size on my desk), and the VA panel will be better for my photography and editing.

Games are more secondary, I can live with a slightly slower ms rate than the old Samsung had
Old 14-04-2014, 08:31   #9
Kabaal
Haggis Hunting

Kabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of Quads

I don't get why the res has to be an issue. Games can change the res to 1440p when playing them and drop back to 1080p for the desktop.
Kabaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2014, 08:39   #10
techguyone
Deus Vult

Well as you probably know, flat screens have a 'native' res where everything is designed to be just so at that setting, and whilst they *can* show other settings, they use interpolation to achieve that, with varying (usually crappy) results on anything other than the native rate. And for me the native rate for a 2560 screen would make text & icons too small for my eyes. Even if a drop to half res looked ok, it would be a bit of a waste of money to do that for the benefit of a game or two.
Old 14-04-2014, 08:43   #11
Kabaal
Haggis Hunting

Kabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of Quads

I'll give you the cost part if you don't really game but 1080p for the desktop on my 1440p screen looks no different than my old 1080p 27". Once upon a time it used to look weird but tech and scaling has moved on since then.
Old 14-04-2014, 08:49   #12
techguyone
Deus Vult

You found 1440p too much for desktop use too ?
Old 14-04-2014, 09:07   #13
Kabaal
Haggis Hunting

That and MPC-HC taking a few seconds to switch resolution to 1080p when playing videos got on my nerves.
Old 15-04-2014, 12:41   #14
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Seems like a good price, for today only, but I have no idea what the monitor itself is actually like: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...odid=MO-202-SA
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2014, 17:10   #15
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabaal View Post
That and MPC-HC taking a few seconds to switch resolution to 1080p when playing videos got on my nerves.
Don't tell it to then? It's internal rescaling is probably better than your monitor anyway.

Windows is catching up with other OS' when it comes to DPI scaling and soon enough running at higher resolutions shouldn't be a problem. I personally want a higher resolution display than 1080p, preferably in 24" but it's hard enough to get 2560x1600 even at 27"!
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote