Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ITV1 HD on Virgin

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

ITV1 HD on Virgin

Old 15-03-2010, 07:46   #76
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Re: ITV1 HD on Virgin

well as we do get ITV2, ITV3 and ITV4 I am sure we will get ITV1 HD in Scotland too.
Old 15-03-2010, 08:02   #77
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
well as we do get ITV2, ITV3 and ITV4 I am sure we will get ITV1 HD in Scotland too.
Nope sorry. Stuff I've seen says 'Not Scotland or NI regions'
Old 15-03-2010, 09:57   #78
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
No, you won't. Those channels are produced by ITV plc (not STV) but they are not regionalised ... i.e. there is no competition between them and anything STV may decide to screen.

On the other hand, the prospect of ITV plc broadcasting an alternative ITV1 in direct competition with STV has got STV very hot under the collar. On the one hand it's understandable as STV does have the public service licence to run channel 3 in Scotland, but on the other hand they've brought this on themselves by choosing to be the Little Scotlander, doing their own thing for the sake of doing their own thing, and now they're scared that ITV viewers, if actually given a choice between STV's ITV schedule, and ITV plc's ITV schedule, may not back them up.

VM, as a content delivery platform, isn't going to want to get caught in the crossfire here. Sky and Freesat, on the other hand, can claim that all they're actually doing is providing an EPG and anyone with a satellite tuner can pick up ITV1-HD whether they market it under their own brands or not.

I think the worst-case scenario is that there will be no ITV1-HD in Scotland on VM until STV manages to produce a fully-branded version of it, effectively STV-HD, for simulcast alongside their SD transmission. Given STV's less than mighty financial muscle, that's probably a long way off. You had better hope that someone, somewhere leans on all parties and eases the way for a deal of some kind to be done.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2010, 10:10   #79
Mobes
cf.mega poster

Mobes has reached the bronze age
Mobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze ageMobes has reached the bronze age

It's a bloody disgrace if there is no ITV HD in Scotland!

Sky viewers will be able to get it as they can manually scan for it.

STV better pull their fingers out on this one!
Mobes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2010, 10:38   #80
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

We better be getting it. Especially as we do get ITV1 as an AD channel further up on the epg.

I don't think STV should be able to stop ITV1 HD being added on VM.
Old 15-03-2010, 10:50   #81
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
We better be getting it. Especially as we do get ITV1 as an AD channel further up on the epg.

I don't think STV should be able to stop ITV1 HD being added on VM.
As I've said a couple of times now, the stuff I've seen internally says England and Wales only
Old 15-03-2010, 10:58   #82
nn012
cf.addict

Services: Virgin Media TV, Broadband and Phone.
nn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quadsnn012 has a fine set of Quads

I've read that stv are taking ITV to court for making the ITV catch up service available on VM and BT Vision in Scotland. If they win, Scots will be losing access to this too.
nn012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2010, 11:20   #83
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by nn012 View Post
I've read that stv are taking ITV to court for making the ITV catch up service available on VM and BT Vision in Scotland. If they win, Scots will be losing access to this too.
No doubt they will probably try to get ITV1 HD encrypted on Satellite to stop Scottish viewers tuning in too if they win that one!

Bad news for our Scottish customers!
Digital Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2010, 13:23   #84
okun69
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media Triple XL, 500GB Tivo, V+
okun69 has a spectacular aura about themokun69 has a spectacular aura about themokun69 has a spectacular aura about themokun69 has a spectacular aura about them

I've been reading this thread about the Stv/Itv situation and was just wondering - would the current Stv channel licence not be just for SD transmissions as it's probably been held since before HD started? If so, could this end up being an OFcom decision as the current licence holder is in no way able to offer HD services?
okun69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2010, 13:49   #85
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by okun69 View Post
I've been reading this thread about the Stv/Itv situation and was just wondering - would the current Stv channel licence not be just for SD transmissions as it's probably been held since before HD started? If so, could this end up being an OFcom decision as the current licence holder is in no way able to offer HD services?
possibly... I think the problem is because it is a simulcast of the main ITV1 channel... wonder if they will try to force VM to close the Scottish access to ITV1 London feed?
Old 15-03-2010, 13:52   #86
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Fanatic View Post
wonder if they will try to force VM to close the Scottish access to ITV1 London feed?
I think they would only be able to do that if STV provide an audio description for their channel

Otherwise they have to allow it for Virgin to comply with access requirements
Old 15-03-2010, 13:54   #87
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
I think they would only be able to do that if STV provide an audio description for their channel

Otherwise they have to allow it for Virgin to comply with access requirements
Good point Ben
Old 15-03-2010, 15:25   #88
greeninferno
cf.addict

greeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud of

i asked on the virginmedia twitter if there would be a reduction in charge for Scottish customers due to no ITVHD channel they said no because the channel is free

They did also say however, that they were in negotiations to have it in scotland
so who knows?

It really will be a total nonsense if Sky viewers can add it "unofficially" but Virgin can't.

Also those at STV aren't acting on behalf of Scottish people they are the proverbial shower of ....
greeninferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2010, 15:42   #89
Robbie G
Inactive

Robbie G is on a distinguished roadRobbie G is on a distinguished road

Gotta love the Scots. Independent when it suits them...
Robbie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2010, 15:47   #90
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeninferno View Post
i asked on the virginmedia twitter if there would be a reduction in charge for Scottish customers due to no ITVHD channel they said no because the channel is free

They did also say however, that they were in negotiations to have it in scotland
so who knows?

It really will be a total nonsense if Sky viewers can add it "unofficially" but Virgin can't.

Also those at STV aren't acting on behalf of Scottish people they are the proverbial shower of ....
I can't believe you even asked TBH