Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Why buy expensive cables...

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Science & Technology
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Digital cameras - I'm confused

Old 03-11-2007, 12:30   #1
Woolly One
Inactive

Services: 20mb bb - XL TV
Woolly One has a fine set of QuadsWoolly One has a fine set of QuadsWoolly One has a fine set of QuadsWoolly One has a fine set of QuadsWoolly One has a fine set of QuadsWoolly One has a fine set of QuadsWoolly One has a fine set of QuadsWoolly One has a fine set of QuadsWoolly One has a fine set of QuadsWoolly One has a fine set of QuadsWoolly One has a fine set of QuadsWoolly One has a fine set of QuadsWoolly One has a fine set of QuadsWoolly One has a fine set of Quads
Digital cameras - I'm confused

Hi, I know there have been other threads asking for advice on digital cameras, but I can't find my answer in there.

We are looking to replace our old Trust 910Z, as it appears to be eating batteries now - even brand new AA's. It's the battery type and life that gets me. Am currently looking at the one :-
http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/st...s=samsung+l600

It has a Li-lon battery, so how does it charge? thru the USB or would there be a seperate charger? And how long would a charge last? I've tried Uncle Google but cannot find a review of this one, to see if it's any good.

Even if we don't go for this one, can I please have some help on digital camera batteries, and what I should be looking for with our Apprx £100 budget.

Thanks in advance
Woolly One is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-11-2007, 12:42   #2
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Re: Digital cameras - I'm confused

If it's anything like the L700 the battery charged inside the camera via a lead you plug into the mains or through a USB style lead to the PC.
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 13:14   #3
fireman328
Inactive

fireman328 has reached the bronze age
fireman328 has reached the bronze agefireman328 has reached the bronze age

I have an Olympus D-380, Quite old, and that takes 4 X AA re-chargeable batteries. The batteries. Or it can be charged by using a lead which has a standard mains plug at 1 end and a small USB plug at the other, or it will take disposable AA if no others are available
fireman328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 13:38   #4
altis
cf.mega poster

altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star
altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star

You may also be interested in the Fujifilm Finepix F20 which is (was) available in Tesco stores for £67. This has a much better sensor than the Samsung to give nicer colour tone and lower noise in low-light shots.

Some details here:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...hread=25417102

To find out the battery life of a camera you'll have to do quite a bit of digging. Check out the information available on some of these site:
http://www.dpreview.com/
http://www.steves-digicams.com/
http://www.imaging-resource.com/
http://www.dcresource.com/
and, in particular:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/best_cameras.html

May I suggest you first ask yourself what sort of camera you want: compact, bridge, SLR or any shade in between. Then think about other considerations like: does it need to be weatherproof; will you be spending a long time (days) away from the mains; do you have any existing flash cards that you want to use; do you want full manual control; might you want to use an external flash; might you want to use a cable release? If you think you're going to want to take any photos indoors then have a good read of this article:
http://www.dpreview.com/articles/compactcamerahighiso/
You'll see that Fuji makes some excellent sensors. But beware, not all of their cameras use their own sensors!

You can get a Fuji S6500fd (known as S6000fd in USA) from around £140 (PC World). This has the same sensor as the F31fd mentioned in the article but with a manual zoon lens on the front. Why on earth the manufacturers thought we needed motorised zooms I shall never understand! I'd avoid the S5700 as this has a poor, non-Fuji, sensor.

And don't forget to factor in the cost of spare batteries, flash cards and, if appropriate, skylight filter and tripod.

IMHO, it's a good idea to get a camera that uses standard AA cells rather than some proprietary (expensive) battery. If you choose a camera with AAs then definately get some Sanyo Eneloop cells and a NiMh charger. These are the Mutt's Nuts.

Note that I've have a Fujifilm S9500 so I get to hear more info about their cameras so I'm biased!
altis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 13:41   #5
Nanook
Inactive

Services: VM 30Mb, Tivo 1TB
Nanook is a name known to allNanook is a name known to allNanook is a name known to allNanook is a name known to allNanook is a name known to allNanook is a name known to allNanook is a name known to allNanook is a name known to all

If you don't mind having a largish camera I'd stretch my budget a little & go for one of these...(I have the old 5600) http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fuji-FinePix-S5700-Digital-Camera/dp/B000PH5IWI/ref=sr_1_1/202-8811475-1327804?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1194095994&sr=1-1

& one of these...(not that fast but is quite flexible)
http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/prod...ucts_id=101271

& a couple of sets of these...(I think they're about the highest capacity rechargable AAs I've found)
http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/prod...ucts_id=101842

Don't be put off rechargable AAs, this camera takes 4 of them & they last for AGES if propperly charged.
Nanook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 13:47   #6
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

Most camera's with rechargable battery packs should allow you to pop the battery out and charge it in a charger that comes with it.

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 14:00   #7
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

I remember my first Fuji finepix, it took 4 AA batteries (swapped with rechargables), I was lucky to get 30 shots before all 4 went flat. At least that's all changed now (I think), but with my D40x I can now get about 500 shots, then recharge the battery in about 45 minutes. I find the battery life was one of the main factors for me in choosing the camera I have now.
Old 03-11-2007, 14:18   #8
Woolly One
Inactive

Services: 20mb bb - XL TV
Woolly One has a fine set of QuadsWoolly One has a fine set of QuadsWoolly One has a fine set of QuadsWoolly One has a fine set of QuadsWoolly One has a fine set of QuadsWoolly One has a fine set of QuadsWoolly One has a fine set of QuadsWoolly One has a fine set of QuadsWoolly One has a fine set of QuadsWoolly One has a fine set of QuadsWoolly One has a fine set of QuadsWoolly One has a fine set of QuadsWoolly One has a fine set of QuadsWoolly One has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutkp View Post
I find the battery life was one of the main factors for me in choosing the camera I have now.
Thanks all for the replies - The battery life is also my main concern. I will look into all the suggestiions given, and go from there.

p.s. peanut, might bump into you @ Christchurch Park tonight !
Woolly One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 14:19   #9
Jon T
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Telephone and 100Mb broadband, Sky Q
Jon T has reached the bronze age
Jon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutkp View Post
I remember my first Fuji finepix, it took 4 AA batteries (swapped with rechargables), I was lucky to get 30 shots before all 4 went flat. At least that's all changed now (I think), but with my D40x I can now get about 500 shots, then recharge the battery in about 45 minutes. I find the battery life was one of the main factors for me in choosing the camera I have now.
Yeah, it's changed quite a lot, I get at least 250-300 pictures with my finepix s6500.

Wooly One: if your considering a camera with a battery pack as opposed to one that takes normal AA batteries, remember that a spare battery pack will probably cost more than just buying a 4/8 AA's.
Jon T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 21:53   #10
altis
cf.mega poster

altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star

To throw in yet another suggestion - how about the Canon A95. It's an end-of-line model now but is still a crackin' camera. Although the low-light performance of the Fujifilm cameras will be better.
Only £85 from eBuyer with a free delivery option too.
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/73074
Mint examples are going for more than this on eBay!

Some more info:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canona95/
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/A95/A95A.HTM
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/a95.html
and a little out of date:
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/26...al-camera.html

And it takes AA cells and CF cards too!!!
Old 03-11-2007, 23:27   #11
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

I had an A80, the predecessor to the A95, also a fantastic camera. As the dp review site says, A95 an improved A80.
SMHarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 23:58   #12
Matth
Inactive

Services: BB:M, TV:XL, Phone:M, Loyalty
Matth has reached the bronze age
Matth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze age

With no charger mentioned (for the first one) it is USB charging - looking at the Samsung site, it appears that a Samsung charger for phones or media players can also be used, but no charger is supplied.

Personally, I would be reluctant to consider anything that does not run on NiMH AA, due to the far lower cost of of a considerable amount of reserve power in that format. Equally, I'd prefer generic SD card capability, to more exotic formats that cost more. Some camera makers seem to be looking enviously at the Inkjet printer makers attempted stranglehold on supplies.
Matth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 02:55   #13
SMHarman
Inactive

SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

And the Canon running on AA batteries CF cards meets both your demands for generic products. Though I am happy they did not try to run my EOS 300D on AA batteries.

I know what you mean though it annoys the crap out of me that the only way to charge my iPod shuffle is by USB with 500W of computer PSU turned on.

Note - the ebuyer link trys to sell you the camera with an SD card. That be aware that card will not work in that camera.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:04   #14
altis
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMHarman View Post
I know what you mean though it annoys the crap out of me that the only way to charge my iPod shuffle is by USB with 500W of computer PSU turned on.
You can buy separate plug-top chargers with a USB output, eg this one:
http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/pr...sp?SKU=CS13109
Old 05-11-2007, 16:11   #15
SMHarman
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by altis View Post
You can buy separate plug-top chargers with a USB output, eg this one:
http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/pr...sp?SKU=CS13109
Thanks 9 quid , $18 plus shipping, well that is about $25 which is about 2 weeks of my leccy bill and being as it only needs charging every 12 hours or every couple of weeks. I only wear it when I am running, my classic iPod and K800i are my usual on the go music players.
I'll manage, it just annoys me if it is flat and I am not using the computer as also the fan is sufficiently noisy so I have to turn up the volume on the TV.