Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Mind The Pay Gap? Tube Drivers 'To Get £55k'

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Mind The Pay Gap? Tube Drivers 'To Get £55k'

Old 02-01-2012, 09:53   #136
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Re: Mind The Pay Gap? Tube Drivers 'To Get £55k'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Angry View Post
So, if you didn't think that your employer "appropriately valued" you you would simply "go elsewhere" by withdrawing your goodwill and leaving their employ rather than try to negotiate your worth?

Ironically that makes you considerably more militant than those union members whose you are trying to berate in this thread.

Clearly your stated position somewhat undermines your argument vis a vis the supposed selfish actions / industrial action / negotiations by tube drivers in relation to their job security / pay / perceived worth.

Marty, Stuart & Maggy - you appear to be venting angst on the basis that you feel somehow hard done by because according to yourselves there are no tube drivers who have degrees / comparable degrees or that degrees obtained by others are undervalued by comparison. Where have you got this information from?

Take a leaf from Iggy's book and act on a self centred basis by withdrawing your labour with no consideration for anyone else or, alternatively, join a union and negotiate - and if needs be strike - to get what you think you're worth.
No I'm more peeved by the idea sold to me and my children that a good job with a good wage was possible only with decent qualifications.But when people with little or no formal education earn fantastic wages I get really peeved especially for my daughter who found her first degree could get her no job and so has had to retrain and get a further degree to find that even now there will be no decent remuneration even though she does now have a job.

I guess though that having a job is possibly the best outcome...Pity the 7 years of study haven't brought about a vast financial difference in her income. So yes I annoyed when people who have a decent income in comparison to the rest of society think nothing of inconveniencing the public as frequently as the tube drivers do.

Oh and I very much doubt that there are many degree holders among the tube drivers because that would entail some time devoted to studying at least 3 years minimum.Of course there would be opportunities through OU and they are earning the necessary dosh to pay for the fees.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:56   #137
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
So, if you didn't think that your employer "appropriately valued" you you would simply "go elsewhere" by withdrawing your goodwill and leaving their employ rather than try to negotiate your worth?

Ironically that makes you considerably more militant than those union members whose you are trying to berate in this thread.

Clearly your stated position somewhat undermines your argument vis a vis the supposed selfish actions / industrial action / negotiations by tube drivers in relation to their job security / pay / perceived worth.

Marty, Stuart & Maggy - you appear to be venting angst on the basis that you feel somehow hard done by because according to yourselves there are no tube drivers who have degrees / comparable degrees or that degrees obtained by others are undervalued by comparison. Where have you got this information from?

Take a leaf from Iggy's book and act on a self centred basis by withdrawing your labour with no consideration for anyone else or, alternatively, join a union and negotiate - and if needs be strike - to get what you think you're worth.
Quote:
You do not always need specific qualifications, although most employers will expect you to have a good general standard of education, including maths and English GCSEs. Some mechanical or electrical knowledge may also be useful.
https://nextstep.direct.gov.uk/Plann...ges/Entry.aspx

http://www.traindrivertrainee.com/Tr...onditions.html

Whilst i do not have a degree (i am self employed) i can understand why people who have invested a large amount of money getting degrees in order to advance their careers and earn a higher wage .I daresay that some train drivers may have a degree but dropped out of their initial chosen career path once they realised their degree wasn't worth as much as a train drivers certificate
Old 02-01-2012, 11:06   #138
Mr Angry
Inactive

Mr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny stars
Mr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny stars

Life choices folks, we all make them.

Never assume anything about others.

---------- Post added at 11:00 ---------- Previous post was at 10:53 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
In your attempt to defend your own rights you have illustrated the tube workers points perfectly.

They, like you, are also entititled to negotiate their perceived value.

The difference being, of course, they dont whinge about your right to negotiate your negotiated / contracted / legal employment rights on public forums because they somehow feel offended or potentially inconvenienced by certain actions which that might involve.

---------- Post added at 11:06 ---------- Previous post was at 11:00 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
Whilst i do not have a degree (i am self employed)....
Does having a degree bar people from being self employed? No.
Mr Angry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 11:12   #139
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:

Does having a degree bar people from being self employed? No.
I didn't say it did
Old 02-01-2012, 11:17   #140
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Life choices folks, we all make them.
Indeed,

I'm always interested as to what degrees these graduates that can't get jobs have? And at what level.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:20   #141
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

We appear to going a little "off track*" here.

I have no issues people being paid a fair day's pay for a fare* day's work, but imho the RMT is weaselling, not negotiating - they had recently signed a new "no strike" deal in return for a handsome settlement, then a couple of months later found what they thought was a loophole.

Does anyone actually think that three times basic plus a day off in lieu is "reasonable"?

*arf arf
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 11:23   #142
richard1960

Services: vm broadband tvxl TiVo, v+ sky sports and phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
We appear to going a little "off track*" here.

I have no issues people being paid a fair day's pay for a fare* day's work, but imho the RMT is weaselling, not negotiating - they had recently signed a new "no strike" deal in return for a handsome settlement, then a couple of months later found what they thought was a loophole.

Does anyone actually think that three times basic plus a day off in lieu is "reasonable"?

*arf arf
Hugh its ASLEF in dipute this time not the RMT amazingly.

And no i think it not reasonable double time and a day in lieu is ample for the ASLEF drivers.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:24   #143
Mr Angry
Inactive

Mr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny stars
Mr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny starsMr Angry has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
I didn't say it did
I know Marty, but you inferred that your being self employed was directly related to you not having a degree. I was merely pointing out that there are many, many people who have degrees who are self employed.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:25   #144
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard1960 View Post
Hugh its ASLEF in dipute this time not the RMT amazingly.

And no i think it not reasonable double time and a day in lieu is ample for the ASLEF drivers.

<my bad>

However, these sort of claims, again imho, play into the hands of those who wish to be "Union Bashers".
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 11:26   #145
richard1960

Services: vm broadband tvxl TiVo, v+ sky sports and phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
<my bad>
Old 02-01-2012, 11:38   #146
martyh

Quote:
I know Marty, but you inferred that your being self employed was directly related to you not having a degree. I was merely pointing out that there are many, many people who have degrees who are self employed.
That wasn't my intention .I mentioned that because ,being self employed ,i have made a not inconciderable investment in my chosen field and also feel that suffient remuneration is required to make that investment worth while as with people who have spent years doing degrees
Old 02-01-2012, 11:54   #147
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
In your attempt to defend your own rights you have illustrated the tube workers points perfectly.

They, like you, are also entititled to negotiate their perceived value.

The difference being, of course, they dont whinge about your right to negotiate your negotiated / contracted / legal employment rights on public forums because they somehow feel offended or potentially inconvenienced by certain actions which that might involve.
My perceived value is one set by the job market and legitimately dependent on the supply of my skills and their value. It's nothing to do with any perception of my own personal value. I don't pick a figure out of thin air, I base it around advertised salaries.

The actual value of train drivers is perhaps a different story given the extremely high supply of people who are potentially capable and willing to do the job.

I don't regard this as reasonable negotiation but blackmail. I have no issues whatsoever with unions preserving the rights their workers have and ensuring that employers stick to agreements, it's a quite different matter demanding pay and benefits well above those that the market would suggest are appropriate under threat of strike action.

It's a remarkably cynical move in contravention of standing agreements to make the demands they did and the level of action is entirely disproportionate.

At the end of the day they are free to go elsewhere if they feel so hard done by, although of course them getting 45k, a relatively generous pension, such a short working week and such a huge amount of time off is a somewhat different matter.

We will evidently agree to disagree on this. I should also mention that I'm free to whinge on this or any other subject as I see fit and of course train drivers don't whinge about me, they know a good deal when they see one and aren't likely to complain when their unions can hold the largest city in Europe and one of only two A++ cities in the world to ransom at a whim.
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 11:57   #148
Mr Angry
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
My perceived value........
They have negotiated legal rights as do you.

Live with it.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:14   #149
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

I think the real issue is why do the employers keep agreeing to these ridiculous pay agreements?
Old 02-01-2012, 12:21   #150
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
I think the real issue is why do the employers keep agreeing to these ridiculous pay agreements?
Because the tube drivers have leverage.

The capital grinds to a halt without the tube