Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | What does the big glowing button do

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

What does the big glowing button do
View Poll Results: What does the big glowing button do?
Nothing 3 10.00%
Everything 5 16.67%
Something 15 50.00%
None of the above 7 23.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-05-2012, 15:05   #31
Milambar
Inactive

Milambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond reputeMilambar has a reputation beyond repute
Re: What does the big glowing button do

I guess that will be the next phase of the experiement, turn off the WPS on the superhub, and re-run the attack. As of right now, I can't answer that question.

I wouldn't worry too much about it at the moment however.

The attack, as of current, requires quite a degree of technical knowlege. There is no "off the peg" solution for it at the moment. While the program is available for download off code.google.com, it was somewhat tricky to use.

1) It only runs under Linux.
2) It only works with certain wireless cards that can be placed into monitor mode.
3) It requires root access.
4) You are required to manually compile it from a sourcecode tarball. There are no precompiled binaries.

Basically, there are not going to be any opportunist "scriptkiddies" using this attack at the moment. For someone to run this against you, they are going to be taretting you specifically.

That will change in the future (it always does, sadly). My advice is, be aware of it, be aware of the signs (flashing wps light), but don't be unduly worried, unless you po'd a geek.
Milambar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-05-2012, 15:11   #32
jempalmer

Services: 500gb Tivo & V+. TV XL, 60MB BB, M Phone.

Thanks for the reassurance. I wasn't actually worrying about it, just curious and interested in learning how these things work
P.S. Don't know any geeks (other than those on here of course )
Old 01-05-2012, 15:24   #33
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milambar View Post
Basically, there are not going to be any opportunist "scriptkiddies" using this attack at the moment. For someone to run this against you, they are going to be taretting you specifically.
Bah I'm going to target every VM router in range indiscriminately.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 15:39   #34
jempalmer

Services: 500gb Tivo & V+. TV XL, 60MB BB, M Phone.

That, I wouldn't put past you!
Old 01-05-2012, 15:40   #35
BomberAF
Inactive

Services: Sky HD, VM 50Mb/s Broadband
BomberAF is a glorious beacon of lightBomberAF is a glorious beacon of lightBomberAF is a glorious beacon of lightBomberAF is a glorious beacon of lightBomberAF is a glorious beacon of lightBomberAF is a glorious beacon of lightBomberAF is a glorious beacon of light

It causes a balloon to fall from the ceiling and then the world ends if pressed!
BomberAF is offline   Reply With Quote