Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Oscar Pistorius arrested after fatal shooting.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Oscar Pistorius arrested after fatal shooting.

Old 21-10-2014, 09:40   #106
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
Re: Oscar Pistorius arrested after fatal shooting.

Quote:
Judge Masipa sentences Pistorius to five years imprisonment on the first count. On another count - a firearms offence - he is sentenced to three years, suspended.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-africa-29633280
Old 21-10-2014, 09:42   #107
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

Should have been at least 10 years.
Old 21-10-2014, 10:05   #108
richard s
Permanently Banned

Services: Tivo XL 150mb broadband L phone
richard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful one

What a lucky boy, only 5... no justice IMHO.
richard s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 10:12   #109
Ravenheart
Inactive

Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal
Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal

Word now that he'll only spend 10 months in prison.
Ravenheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 10:14   #110
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star
Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star

He's a hero.
he's disabled.
he's suffered enough.
he did charity work.

that's why he compared to another person only got 5 years.
Gary L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 10:17   #111
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary L View Post
He's a hero.
he's disabled.
he's suffered enough.
he did charity work.

that's why he compared to another person only got 5 years.
Yet he makes a point to be treated like any abled person and to compete against them.
Old 21-10-2014, 11:09   #112
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkC1984 View Post
I said all the way along murder. Whether it was a pre meditated one or not, it was still murder. He used a gun instead of the cricket bat. That poor woman, I can only imagine what she was thinking whilst in that bathroom.
While I don't know about the South African legal system, I do have a little knowledge of ours. My mum's friend's son was killed after a night in a (usually) quiet little local pub. The killer was caught, arrested and convicted of ABH.

Why ABH rather than Murder? According to the Policeman investigating the case it was because although the killer had gone to a quiet local pub in a very safe area for a night out carrying a flick knife, they could not conclusively prove he had gone out with the intention of killing someone. So, the CPS went for ABH as it gave the best chance of securing a conviction and custodial sentence.

In short, in our legal system at least, for a killing to be a Murder, you have to be able to show intent to kill.

Also, bear in mind that parts of South Africa are extremely violent. An ex-colleague of mine is South African and when he used to come out drinking with us, he often used to tell stories of his childhood, which seemed to consist of spending his days sitting just outside his grandfather's shop, shotgun laying on his lap.

While I am not defending Pistorius at all, if the country is as violent as I have been told, I can understand wanting to own a shotgun, and I can understand the paranoia that might lead you to believe that a strange noise in your bathroom is an intruder.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 12:05   #113
peanut
NUTS !!

He should have been done for murder, it was odd that he wasn't. Shooting 4 shots through a door he intended to kill whoever was behind it. Also odd that he made no warning prior of his actions.
Old 21-10-2014, 12:15   #114
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Armed house invasion is such a problem in SA, I think the guidelines on what is considered a reasonable response to it are probably a lot more relaxed than they are in the UK.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 13:22   #115
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

Quote:
South African athlete Oscar Pistorius has been given five years in jail for killing his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp.

Judge Thokozile Masipa also gave Pistorius a three-year suspended sentence for a firearms charge.

The parents of Reeva Steenkamp told the BBC they were happy with the sentence and relieved the case was over. The defence said it expected Pistorius to serve about 10 months in prison.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-29700457
Old 21-10-2014, 13:25   #116
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

I really can't wait for Natalie to get home to get her opinion on this.
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 17:39   #117
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Armed house invasion is such a problem in SA, I think the guidelines on what is considered a reasonable response to it are probably a lot more relaxed than they are in the UK.
Old 21-10-2014, 17:44   #118
peanut
NUTS !!

But it's too much to shout 'Who's there, I've got a gun' and fire at least 1 warning shot'. If that happened he wouldn't be where he is today. I don't believe his version of events for one minute.
Old 21-10-2014, 18:24   #119
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Given his actions and all the inconsistencies in his account of events I think he's got off very lightly indeed.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 17:11   #120
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star
Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star

He's going to be released in August.
Gary L is offline   Reply With Quote