Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | TiVo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

TiVo
Closed Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 16:34   #781
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Re: TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
As long as you take Virgin National ADSL Service, no you will not be charged any EDFs for any services you had at the cabled address.

Not sure how much clearer I can say that!
Thank you Ben for the clarification.
Advertisement
Old 11-01-2011, 16:46   #782
ottoni
cf.addict

ottoni is a splendid one to beholdottoni is a splendid one to beholdottoni is a splendid one to beholdottoni is a splendid one to beholdottoni is a splendid one to beholdottoni is a splendid one to beholdottoni is a splendid one to beholdottoni is a splendid one to beholdottoni is a splendid one to behold

You know what I flogged loads of stuff on ebay to get enough cash together for this box, because ordinarily I just wouldn't have the odd £200 hanging around to spend! But that gets me thinking is it really worth it, and will I be really impressed and sit back after the install is done and think ,you know what that is worth every penny
My brother in law says he thinks its pointless buying it from release because it will become free at some point. I doubt that the v+HD box still attracts an install and monthly fee.
Old 11-01-2011, 16:51   #783
vanman
cf.mega poster

Services: Sky
vanman has reached the bronze age
vanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottoni View Post
My brother in law says he thinks its pointless buying it from release because it will become free at some point. I doubt that the v+HD box still attracts an install and monthly fee.
after 4 years the v+box was still being charged for.
in aug 09 they still wanted £75 was paying £15 per month for it for 3 years.
on old 20mb vip pack
Old 12-01-2011, 15:56   #784
Rattus
Inactive

Rattus will become famous soon enoughRattus will become famous soon enoughRattus will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
As long as you take Virgin National ADSL Service, no you will not be charged any EDFs for any services you had at the cabled address.

Not sure how much clearer I can say that!
So just to clarify as i've been trying to find this out for ages, as a VIP50 customer, if i was to take whatever Tivo deal is offered with a new 18 month contract (if that is required) and i then moved to the country in say 10 months, but i took VM adsl at the new address i would not have any early disconnection charges for my current cable TV/Phone?

I've been a customer for about 7 years now, and will be gutted when i lose my cable internet but sometimes compromises need to be made, and apparently a field for the horse is more important than my cable internet
Old 12-01-2011, 15:59   #785
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

As this is TiVo related (sort of) I hope I don't get told off for answering

Based on the way the policy works at the moment that's correct. I can't see it changing for TiVo but I'll check once full details are released
Old 12-01-2011, 16:18   #786
winkle

Will the TiVo box have the channel logo's for each channel? that would look smart

Old 12-01-2011, 16:26   #787
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkle View Post
Will the TiVo box have the channel logo's for each channel? that would look smart
Yes. The VM promo shows this too I believe.
Old 12-01-2011, 21:31   #788
HDFootyMan
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media 1TB TiVo, 500Gb TiVo, TV XL, 60Mb Broadband, Phone
HDFootyMan has reached the bronze age
HDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze age

No iPlayer app for Tivo?
http://virgintivo.blogspot.com/2011/...in-medias.html
Old 12-01-2011, 21:38   #789
ahardie

Services: XL tv/L internet, Tivo(1Tb.), SA V+.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDFootyMan View Post
Presumably you would still be able to get the normal BBC catch up?

Old 12-01-2011, 21:47   #790
HDFootyMan
Inactive

HDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze ageHDFootyMan has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahardie View Post
Presumably you would still be able to get the normal BBC catch up?
Via the Catch-Up EPG, yeah.

But no app like we have on existing Cable STBs, not unless Virgin show the Beeb some ££££.
Old 12-01-2011, 22:25   #791
ahardie

Services: XL tv/L internet, Tivo(1Tb.), SA V+.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDFootyMan View Post
Via the Catch-Up EPG, yeah.

But no app like we have on existing Cable STBs, not unless Virgin show the Beeb some ££££.
But the normal interface is better isn't it? There is a Digital Spy article about it here which seems to suggest it has greater implications for Sky.

Old 12-01-2011, 22:55   #792
whizzard
Inactive

Services: VM TiVo & V+ XL TV / XL Telephone / XL 30Mb Broadband with Super Hub
whizzard is a name known to allwhizzard is a name known to allwhizzard is a name known to allwhizzard is a name known to allwhizzard is a name known to allwhizzard is a name known to allwhizzard is a name known to allwhizzard is a name known to all

Who's not to say they haven't already developed the app of course.
Old 12-01-2011, 23:02   #793
HDFootyMan
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by whizzard View Post
Who's not to say they haven't already developed the app of course.
They haven't:
http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2011/...ayer-versions/

Quote:
The move would impact platforms such as Virgin Media and its recently launched TiVo box. There is currently no BBC iPlayer app, instead the assets are made available through the main TiVo interface over DVB-C as opposed to IP. Although Virgin has been working with the BBC for some time there are concerns that the consumer experience may alter as the quality of the IP delivery is not as good as through DVB-C. The existing Liberate/TV Navigator version of the iPlayer was developed between the operator and the BBC.

---------- Post added at 22:59 ---------- Previous post was at 22:57 ----------

Quote:
But the normal interface is better isn't it? There is a Digital Spy article about it here which seems to suggest it has greater implications for Sky.
Well....no. The existing app allows you to access stuff like Series Catch-Up, allowing you to view content beyond the previous 7 days for selected shows.

---------- Post added at 23:02 ---------- Previous post was at 22:59 ----------

Quote:
Yep, YouView as well.

I guess this probably puts the final nail in any real chances of iPlayer on my WDTV Live or Xbox 360.
Old 13-01-2011, 10:06   #794
Rattus
Inactive

Rattus will become famous soon enoughRattus will become famous soon enoughRattus will become famous soon enough

Personally i hate the current implementation of iplayer on my tvdrive, i'd much prefer it to be moved into the standard UI like itv, 4 and 5 use. Why we have to go to the slow and ponderous, hard to navigate red button type interface now i don't know, but i'll be glad to see the back of that.

And assuming the tivo UI is much faster than the current SA box, why would you want to use a custom UI for one channel.
Old 13-01-2011, 10:18   #795
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattus View Post
Personally i hate the current implementation of iplayer on my tvdrive, i'd much prefer it to be moved into the standard UI like itv, 4 and 5 use. Why we have to go to the slow and ponderous, hard to navigate red button type interface now i don't know, but i'll be glad to see the back of that.
You can access iPlayer content via the normal UI