Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | TiVo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

TiVo
Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 19:12   #736
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Re: TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman View Post
this may be so but i was not talking about the tivo .
i was referring to the v+box.
It will be the same with the V+ box as the software will be on the hard drive.
Advertisement
Old 09-01-2011, 19:15   #737
vanman
cf.mega poster

Services: Sky
vanman has reached the bronze age
vanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masque View Post
why do you think the is a Smartcard in the box.
we both know that the Smart Card Just decrypts the channels
Old 09-01-2011, 19:20   #738
mersey70
Inactive

Services: TV M, L BB, Sky+ HD
mersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant futuremersey70 has a brilliant future
Re: Tivo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
That link is expired (as noted above) and I suspect that the prices that bought Tivo units themselves, rather than rented them as part of a Cable or Satellite subscription.

Bear in mind that as well as being offered with other services, Tivo do offer their own service that you buy the box for. They charge a subscription to those who purchase the boxes.
I think the prices for the kit in the US are pretty low for the spec of the kit and of course they own it and it will have ongoing functionality for cable customers who might eventually stop subscribing. They seem get money back through (compared to VM) relatively high monthly subs. I suppose it has to be funded somehow.

I know Tivo don't charge a monthly fee in Australia but the kit is pretty expensive, over £300 and (i think) it is only compatible with DTT non subscription services, maybe it's aimed at customers who don't want monthly subs although they can buy OD content.

I don't think the cost of the kit and subs that VM will charge are prohibitive for existing higher tier subscribers. I just don't think the masses will flock to it, especially lower tier customers who may well have a ceiling on costs and most customers (3/4) currently don't even have V+.
Old 09-01-2011, 19:21   #739
vanman
cf.mega poster

vanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze agevanman has reached the bronze age

Quote:
no it not the software is actually a firmware.
built in to the mother board.
thats how vm can deactivate the v+side of the box
Old 09-01-2011, 19:30   #740
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman View Post
no it not the software is actually a firmware.
built in to the mother board
It is still ill advised advice to give anyone about customising equipment that does not belong to them now if it was a SKY box then fine does as you like as you purchased the equipment, and you do know how much people can be billed for damaged or lost equipment which far exceeds the price of any hard drive so it could end up being very expensive.
Old 09-01-2011, 19:37   #741
mhatter67

Services: Big Kahuna, Phone XL, Boxnation
Question Re: TiVo

Odd question but could you use the dedicated internet connection for tivo to update the firmware on your BluRay player, I mean quickly plugging the internet feed into the bluray player?

Old 09-01-2011, 19:54   #742
vanman
cf.mega poster

Quote:
It is still ill advised advice to give anyone about customising equipment that does not belong to them now if it was a SKY box then fine does as you like as you purchased the equipment, and you do know how much people can be billed for damaged or lost equipment which far exceeds the price of any hard drive so it could end up being very expensive.
i am not telling them to do it.
i said it can be done

---------- Post added at 19:54 ---------- Previous post was at 19:50 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlayzell View Post
Odd question but could you use the dedicated internet connection for tivo to update the firmware on your BluRay player, I mean quickly plugging the internet feed into the bluray player?
no you will not be able to use it as a modem or router
Old 09-01-2011, 20:06   #743
zantarous
www.magicorptech.blogspot

Services: V.I.P
zantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful onezantarous is the helpful one

Quote:
I thought you worked in tech support? Even the intern will know that is not where the software is installed? upgrading the HDD will not have anything to do with the smartcard or circumventing any security.
Old 09-01-2011, 20:56   #744
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zantarous View Post
I thought you worked in tech support? Even the intern will know that is not where the software is installed? upgrading the HDD will not have anything to do with the smartcard or circumventing any security.
Primarily Broadband with a bit of cross training thrown in and most broadband agents dislike the FMC side as you do not have to think for yourself.

We just get told to follow a flow for the FMC side and not to think.
Old 10-01-2011, 10:15   #745
ess1
Inactive

Services: sky, VMBB XXL
ess1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by howardmicks View Post
I know what you mean,But if i went and bought a £1000 tv,I would want to have channels to watch.The way its going with vm at min great tech but losing channels and not getting the new ones,The price is putting me off tivo but the concern over channels is also a worry.I am very reluctent to pay the overpriced charge and now its looking like sky are calling the shots on vm getting or not getting channels to tie myself to another 12months contract is becoming a big risk.
I agree. I returned to Sky some 18 months ago and will probably remain, in spite of the superiority of Tivo. Sky will, I believe, be increasingly loathe to allow VM access to further channels as a means of combatting the undoubted success of Tivo.

Further, I have not had any problems with skybox in both my periods with sky. Unlike the many posters here and on VM's forum.
Old 10-01-2011, 10:38   #746
richard1960

Services: vm broadband tvxl TiVo, v+ sky sports and phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ess1 View Post
I agree. I returned to Sky some 18 months ago and will probably remain, in spite of the superiority of Tivo. Sky will, I believe, be increasingly loathe to allow VM access to further channels as a means of combatting the undoubted success of Tivo.

Further, I have not had any problems with skybox in both my periods with sky. Unlike the many posters here and on VM's forum.
I respectfully suggest you try the satellite section of D/S there are many people on there complaining about their sky hardware just as you would expect complaints about cable hardware on a cable forum! there are also many people like myself who have never had any problems with cable boxes at all.

Old 10-01-2011, 10:46   #747
ess1
Inactive

Services: sky, VMBB XXL
ess1 is an unknown quantity at this point

richard1960,
Thanks for prompt reply. I take your point.
Is D/S a Sky forum?
Old 10-01-2011, 10:50   #748
Media Boy UK
Also on X (Twitter)

Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars
Media Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny starsMedia Boy UK has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by ess1 View Post
richard1960,
Thanks for prompt reply. I take your point.
Is D/S a Sky forum?
It like the poor man Cable Forum

It got forums for Sky, Freeview, Freesat, Virgin Media plus more.
Got inside news but can't post it - PM me with info
Old 10-01-2011, 13:27   #749
Rattus
Inactive

Rattus will become famous soon enoughRattus will become famous soon enoughRattus will become famous soon enough

The problem with the upfront fee model is that it really puts people off who can't commit for long periods of time.

I want to move house this year, so in many ways would be stupid to pay 200 quid for an item i might only use for 6 months. This of course is also a problem with these 18 month contracts that seem to have appeared out of no where. Particularly when there is 0 possibility of where i move to having cable as it'll be in the country. Which is a shame as i really am a big fan of virgin, having been a happy customer with them from the telewest days.

Would be nice to have a choice, either upfront rental charge, or increased monthly rental charge. Otherwise i doubt i'll bother by the time it actually arrives.
Old 11-01-2011, 12:09   #750
davidthornton
Inactive

davidthornton is just really nicedavidthornton is just really nicedavidthornton is just really nicedavidthornton is just really nicedavidthornton is just really nicedavidthornton is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattus View Post
The problem with the upfront fee model is that it really puts people off who can't commit for long periods of time.

I want to move house this year, so in many ways would be stupid to pay 200 quid for an item i might only use for 6 months. This of course is also a problem with these 18 month contracts that seem to have appeared out of no where. Particularly when there is 0 possibility of where i move to having cable as it'll be in the country. Which is a shame as i really am a big fan of virgin, having been a happy customer with them from the telewest days.

Would be nice to have a choice, either upfront rental charge, or increased monthly rental charge. Otherwise i doubt i'll bother by the time it actually arrives.
If you're going to be moving in 6 months, and probably to an area where you have no possibility of subscribing to Virgin Media, it doesn't really seem to me that it is in either your or Virgin Media's interest to make any significant changes to your subscription. Why bother for just 6 months?
Closed Thread