Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | XP Home dire slow boot up

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

might give Linux OS 2007 a go

Old 28-02-2007, 09:25   #1
sheridan
Inactive

Services: you pay for it ,,i'll do it
sheridan has a spectacular aura about themsheridan has a spectacular aura about themsheridan has a spectacular aura about themsheridan has a spectacular aura about them
might give Linux OS 2007 a go

i have a spare hard drive ,so thoght i might install ,Linux OS 2007,
anyone here had a go with it , is it easy to install etc .
can i just download it ,or is it better to buy a ready made disk..
thanks chaps ...
sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-02-2007, 10:05   #2
Lord Nikon
Inactive

Lord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze array
Lord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze array
Re: might give Linux OS 2007 a go

Not got experience of that distro, but they tend to be easy enough to install these days, I prefer Mandriva 2007 Powerpack - it comes with the AIGL / XGL / Compiz desktop options etc, which, if you didn't know is the 3d cube desktop look, also includes transgaming cedega for those windows games
Lord Nikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2007, 10:19   #3
sheridan
Inactive

Services: you pay for it ,,i'll do it
sheridan has a spectacular aura about themsheridan has a spectacular aura about themsheridan has a spectacular aura about themsheridan has a spectacular aura about them

having just done a quick search , i have noticed there are many different types of linux is this just to confuse us
i am down loadind one called ubuntu at the moment as it says i can use it on my machine as it is at the moment ,without instaling it .
at least i think that what it will do .
sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2007, 10:20   #4
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

Yeah you can boot Ubuntu from the CD to try it out, but bear in mind it won't be anywhere near as fast as actually installing it
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2007, 10:32   #5
JMcB
cf.geek

Services: 2x 306Tivo Full TV with Movies & Sport 1000Mb BB Land Line Mobile Phone x2 (Sim Only)
JMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to JMcB

I tryed Linux Mandrake

It was very good, Ran very fast and looked well

think its changed it nmae now.

I just downloaded a DVD .ISO put in on a DVD and swaped HD's and booted from the DVD no worrys.
JMcB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2007, 11:07   #6
zing_deleted

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheridan View Post
i have a spare hard drive ,so thoght i might install ,Linux OS 2007,
anyone here had a go with it , is it easy to install etc .
can i just download it ,or is it better to buy a ready made disk..
thanks chaps ...
its easy to install but thats as far as easy goes
If you have to have a look then as said download a live version have a look then give up because its gonna give you a headache
Old 28-02-2007, 11:13   #7
Gareth
cf.mega poster

Gareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny stars
Gareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny stars

Yep, Mandrake (the company) merged with Lycoris and Conectiva to form Mandriva. There are free-of-charge versions of Mandriva available, as well as paid-for versions (called Powerpack) that include technical support and some non-open source components. They also have the Mandriva Club that you can subscribe to for a small monthly fee.

Their Wikipedia page is pretty comprehensive... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandriva_Linux

To go back to the point Sheridan made, there are indeed different versions of Linux - these are the so-called "distributions". Linux itself is the actual kernel, i.e. the core operating system. Briefly, all distributions use the Linux kernel (albeit some will be using slightly later versions of the Linux kernel than others) and then the distribution maintainers will add on the extra applications that they want to include. It's this that differentiates one distribution (or distro) from another - but at the heart they all use the Linux kernel.

There are hundreds of different distros available - have a look at www.distrowatch.org to compare them - but they are mostly all just variations of a handful of base distributions, such as Debian, Red Hat, Slackware. For example, Ubuntu is a modified version of the Debian distribution, whereas Mandriva is based on Red Hat, whilst SabayonLinux (the distro I'm currently using) is based on Gentoo.

There's no definitive "better" or "worse" distro... it's all down to personal preference. The great thing about Linux, though, is that you're free to choose whichever distro you want - in fact, this is the best way to learn about the differences between each one, and it won't cost you a penny to switch from one to the other. As they're all based on the same Linux kernel, however, you won't struggle if you do decide to switch distro as they all work in pretty much the same way... there are slight differences, for example, in how you install software in one distro that uses package management compared to another where you compile stuff specifically for your environment, but the underlying mechanics of the operating system remain the same from one distro to another.

Hope that helps
Gareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2007, 11:13   #8
c1rcle
Inactive

c1rcle is a name known to allc1rcle is a name known to allc1rcle is a name known to allc1rcle is a name known to allc1rcle is a name known to allc1rcle is a name known to allc1rcle is a name known to allc1rcle is a name known to all

I'm dual booting WinXP & Ubuntu, like Zeph said it's really slow running it from the CD but once it's installed on a hard drive it flies along. An added bonus is that (for me) my NTL connection worked without any extra effort on my part. Plus 90% of my windows software either works directly in Linux or has a Linux replacement.
c1rcle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2007, 11:15   #9
Gareth
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinglebarb View Post
its easy to install but thats as far as easy goes
If you have to have a look then as said download a live version have a look then give up because its gonna give you a headache
It's no less easy than Windows.... it's just different
Old 28-02-2007, 11:22   #10
zing_deleted

I disagree windows apps install by simple click .
In my limited experience with Ubuntu and ATI drivers with bloody terminal and 1 mistake spells dead OS. Then there is the boot loader remember the op is running Vista so that will be fun and you cant just delete Linux if you have no luck because that will screw up said boot loader .

Incidentally how good is WINE? although by definition its not a emulator but it clearly is how many windows apps actually work through it? can it be used to run games and the ilk? .

As you have said I would prob be able to get my head around it if I have to but I dont have to Fair play to those who do and know all the scripts to keep it running and installing apps etc but it all seems like to much of a ball ache for me as I like to refine everything I do to its simplest methods which windows does allow. My work load is done so efficient (well I think so ) as to make what I earn in half a day what most none zingles would take all day to do
Old 28-02-2007, 11:33   #11
Gareth
cf.mega poster

Mate, you knew you'd get me started with this post, didn't ya?

Let's put the shoe on the other foot.... Wine does allow you to run some Windows applications under Linux with varying success. How many Linux applications can you get to run under Windows?

ps - you're right, it's not an emulator as it has it's own version of Windows DLLs, etc... rather than doing pure emulation

pps - Cedega is better for gaming than Wine on its own. Although neither really are ideal. An XBox is the best answer for gaming

I don't use Vista, but I've heard that the latest versions of Grub and Lilo (the Linux boot loaders) both correctly identify Vista and allow you to dual-boot with ease. Again, does the Windows boot loader allow you to install other operating systems, or does it restrict you to only having a Microsoft OS on your machine?

I'd agree with ATI's drivers being very sucky though... but that's a problem with ATI not with Linux
Old 28-02-2007, 11:33   #12
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

I run World of Warcraft and Steam (HL1, HL2 and Mods) through standard Wine in OpenGL mode with no problems. If you want to play DirectX games, you will need to invest in a Cedega license
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2007, 11:39   #13
Gareth
cf.mega poster

Back on topic...

Sheridan, if this is your first foray into Linux, I'd recommend doing some reading whilst you're installing Linux.

This article seems quite good... http://gazeek.com/linux/the-complete...n--part-1.html

Also, the information over at the Ubuntu forums website is fantastic - in fact, this and the level of community support makes this particular distro stand head and shoulders above the others for newcomers to Linux. http://ubuntuforums.org/ - add this to your bookmarks
Old 28-02-2007, 11:44   #14
c1rcle
Inactive

c1rcle is a name known to allc1rcle is a name known to allc1rcle is a name known to allc1rcle is a name known to allc1rcle is a name known to allc1rcle is a name known to allc1rcle is a name known to allc1rcle is a name known to all

I wouldn't put an ATI in my machines, I would call that a cruel & unusual punishment.
c1rcle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2007, 11:54   #15
punky
Inactive

punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura
punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth View Post
I'd agree with ATI's drivers being very sucky though... but that's a problem with ATI not with Linux
Sorry, have to disagree mate. Installing almost anything requires trawling through readmes and copy/pasting endless commands into terminal. And if it doesn't work, its endless reading mans, googling and trawling through forums and blogs blindly copying various admin commands some complete stranger has wrote. If you want a recent example from myself, after installing XGL and Beryl (which took bloody ages), the shutdown button disappeared. After more googling and reading, its apparently to do with Beryl not being granted admin rights which is silly. Again, its pasting more code from strangers, which could do anything. Massive leap of faith.

Even with Ubuntu, RPMs still have to be converted and installed, again more commands through terminal. Its great it has many apps preconfigured, but if you do want one that isn't, its much, much more harder work. I remember installing my wireless adaptor on Mandrake, which took a complete evening of googling and trying before I eventually got ndiswrapper to work.

Linux is getting better, but its still got a long way to go. Until all distros universally support RPMs, and true point and click install, it will always be behind Windows on user friendliness.
punky is offline   Reply With Quote