Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | sky 1 the Simpsons

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

run monitor from new tivo box

Old 28-03-2014, 21:58   #1
joetheghost
Inactive

joetheghost is an unknown quantity at this point
run monitor from new tivo box

I believe it is possible to run a cable from the hdmi on the tivo port to the monitor hdmi port,is this so?only I read somewhere that the port on the tivo is inlet only not outlet.I thought this way would not need a splitter
joetheghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-03-2014, 22:11   #2
tizmeinnit

Re: run monitor from new tivo box

yes but what ya gonna do about audio if the monitor does not have speakers?

What I did with a V box was hdmi to dvi cable to my monitor then I run audio from the vcr scart using a scart to composite cables to pc speakers. I dunno if this is doable with a tivo

welcome to the forum

---------- Post added at 22:11 ---------- Previous post was at 22:09 ----------

a quick look around makes me think it would
Old 29-03-2014, 02:09   #3
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by joetheghost View Post
I believe it is possible to run a cable from the hdmi on the tivo port to the monitor hdmi port,is this so?only I read somewhere that the port on the tivo is inlet only not outlet.I thought this way would not need a splitter
It's an output. It should work as long as your monitor supports HDCP and the video resolutions available from TiVo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizmeinnit View Post
What I did with a V box was hdmi to dvi cable to my monitor then I run audio from the vcr scart using a scart to composite cables to pc speakers. I dunno if this is doable with a tivo
Yes that would work. Or you could use the optical audio output.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 12:54   #4
joetheghost
Inactive

Just found out the Hdmi I thought was on the new TiVo box is in fact a USB,my monitor has speakers so I would be alright for sound.Is the answer a splitter,if so what is the idea of a switch on the splitter.I take it the incoming Hdmi cable for the TiVo which goes to the TiVo is connected to the TiVo and the other fork in the splitter goes to to monitor,so one line coming in the other two feed the monitor and the main screen,giving the same picture to each screen(why didn't I work harder at school),Please put me right if I am getting this all wrong.
Old 06-04-2014, 13:39   #5
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Not quite sure what you're getting at.

The "splitter" sound like an HDMI switch. A switch allows you to select between multiple devices sending out a video(HDMI) signal, eg Tivo and Bluray player. The selected signal is then sent to the TV/monitor. A true HDMI splitter duplicates a single signal source to allow it to be sent to multiple TVs/monitors.

The HDMI socket on the Tivo will be output only, ie to a TV/monitor. If it's just a straightforward connection from Tivo to monitor is all you need, just connect them using an HDMI cable.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 15:45   #6
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Joe: do you want to use this monitor to display the TiVo picture at the same time as an existing TV? If so, you'll need a splitter. Something like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Neet%C2%AE-S...6795085&sr=8-4
Old 06-04-2014, 15:59   #7
joetheghost
Inactive

Hi Thanks for your reply,what I've got is a splitter that has one inlet and two outlets ,I mentioned switch because I saw it mentioned as being a possibility before I bought the device I call a splitter.I ran HDMI cable from the TiVo to the monitor but found out that the outlet I thought was HDMI is in fact a USB,I read somewhere that new Tivos are doing away with the HDMI outlet ,I can't see a socket that looks like Hdmi on my tivo which is only three weeks old,so maybe what I read is true(new TiVos doing away with the HDMI socket)

---------- Post added at 15:59 ---------- Previous post was at 15:46 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
Joe: do you want to use this monitor to display the TiVo picture at the same time as an existing TV? If so, you'll need a splitter. Something like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Neet%C2%AE-S...6795085&sr=8-4
Hi Thanks
for your help what I have just got on Ebay is something similar to that on Amazon had your post shown up quicker I would have got the Amazon one.I am a bit puzzled as to the signal coming directly from the feed coming in going to the TiVo will be redirected to the other monitor before it reaches the TiVo ,so how will the picture be diverted to the monitor as there wouldn't be a picture until the TiVo receives the signal?,or will the signal containing the picture be sent from the TiVo ,not the way I have just described?>in case I have explained this badly picture the letter "Y" the single stem of the letter is coming in and the two branches of the letter go one to the TiVo and one to the monitor
Old 06-04-2014, 17:54   #8
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

Quote:
I read somewhere that new Tivos are doing away with the HDMI outlet ,I can't see a socket that looks like Hdmi on my tivo which is only three weeks old
You do have a Virgin Media (VM) TiVo, don't you? All VM TiVos have an HDMI socket, and there are no plans to remove the socket.

This is a picture of the back of a Cisco VM TiVo.
[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]
If your box was made by Samsung, the layout is a bit different but it still has the same connectors.

Quote:
picture the letter "Y" the single stem of the letter is coming in and the two branches of the letter go one to the TiVo and one to the monitor
The picture comes from the TiVo, not to it. But you are right that the splitter is like a 'Y'. It sends the picture to both branches at the same time.
Old 07-04-2014, 11:08   #9
joetheghost
Inactive

Hi Many thanks for your reply,the pic is a great help,my box is laid out differently but has all the same connections it is a TiVo.Is there a means of changing channels from the monitor as it is a different make to the main tv.I will have to wait for the spitter to arrive and then have a go
Old 07-04-2014, 14:41   #10
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

If you want to change channels from a different room, you'll need to get an IR sender to send the key presses back to the TiVo. The TV doesn't play any part in it.
Old 08-04-2014, 19:30   #11
joetheghost
Inactive

Thanks again
Old 09-04-2014, 12:54   #12
joetheghost
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
You do have a Virgin Media (VM) TiVo, don't you? All VM TiVos have an HDMI socket, and there are no plans to remove the socket.

This is a picture of the back of a Cisco VM TiVo.

If your box was made by Samsung, the layout is a bit different but it still has the same connectors.

The picture comes from the TiVo, not to it. But you are right that the splitter is like a 'Y'. It sends the picture to both branches at the same time.
I have just received the spliitter and see both sets must be off before connecting,does this apply to turning off the tv and monitor leaving them connected,it seems damage can be done if both sets are on the same time. I use the monitor for 30 minutes on my exercise frame and just want to watch something to kill the time ,it seems by turning off they stress ,it should be off at the mains not standby ,virgin tv takes a few minutes to warm up each time before viewing once switched off.Do you have any suggestions

Thanks
Old 09-04-2014, 13:02   #13
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

The being switched off will refer to when you're initially plugging in the cables into the sockets. Once plugged in, you should be able to switch all the different things on and off, or in or out of standby, as desired. You should be able to view the TV and the monitor at the same time or one or the other individually. The whole idea of a splitter is simultaneously viewing of an HDMI signal.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 13:58   #14
joetheghost
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
The being switched off will refer to when you're initially plugging in the cables into the sockets. Once plugged in, you should be able to switch all the different things on and off, or in or out of standby, as desired. You should be able to view the TV and the monitor at the same time or one or the other individually. The whole idea of a splitter is simultaneously viewing of an HDMI signal.
This particular splitter only gives the choice of one tv or monitor at one time,one must be switched off in order to be used i.e.one channel at a time(maybe that's why it was cheap) My main concern is that once fitted can I just use the standby button in order to switch or must I do the mains switch at each time

---------- Post added at 13:58 ---------- Previous post was at 13:32 ----------

I have just noticed the ir sender you mentioned and wondering how much they are and how they would connect to my splitter
Old 09-04-2014, 16:43   #15
joetheghost
Inactive

Wondering if when they say dsiconnect both tvs,they aslo mean the TiVo box as well because that is what I would be connecting to and it has current running to it