Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Nuclear Power - What are your views on it

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Science & Technology
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Nuclear Power - What are your views on it

Old 16-03-2011, 00:19   #46
toonlight
cf.addict

Location: On the highest mountian, looking into your bedroom wondering..hehe
Services: B/B VM100 (MB)
toonlight is a jewel in the roughtoonlight is a jewel in the roughtoonlight is a jewel in the roughtoonlight is a jewel in the roughtoonlight is a jewel in the rough
Re: Nuclear Power - What are your views on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caff View Post
I'm all for renewable power - wind, wave and solar -wind is not an option for me here.
Solar is the next one for me.
I really don't want to deplete the earth's resources or leave a legacy of objects that have a half-life.
Sorry to say everything has half-life caff, everything has a trace amount of radioactivity, fags have that's the cause for the cancer in smoking.(caesium 135) All fruit from abroad places has some trace levels of radioactive elements, try your bananas for example (selenium)

Ok how about your mobile phone, it's shiny & nice looking but has a radio active trace source in basic value. The base stations of mobile phone masts pump out near radioactive wave lengths (if you look on spectrum scope measurement) Even the hydrogen in the water has trace source of radioactive Hydrogen in the make up of normal hydrogen & oxygen

H2+O2>H2O (water)
D2O or ²H2O (heavy water - Deuterium oxide)

Yes have @ 11% in our bodies too, it's not radioactive, just more denser than normal H2O. Not forgetting small traces of other radioactive + non radioactive materials beside the water in our bodies, yes we are slightly radioactive just by ourselves.
Last thing caff background radiation, in some places (cliffs, sea bed rocks etc) natural radioactive radium (old clock dials paint), uranium/thorium (exposed & sunken rock bed)

A highly in lighted > toonlight
toonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-03-2011, 01:42   #47
Caff
I'm a geek???

Caff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronze
Caff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronze

I've come to the conclusion that everthing that is a source of power/fuel will always pose a risk. But I'll still happily visit Cornwall

That was a bit of a rant at me???
Old 16-03-2011, 20:14   #48
toonlight
cf.addict

Location: On the highest mountian, looking into your bedroom wondering..hehe
Services: B/B VM100 (MB)
toonlight is a jewel in the roughtoonlight is a jewel in the roughtoonlight is a jewel in the roughtoonlight is a jewel in the roughtoonlight is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caff View Post
I've come to the conclusion that everthing that is a source of power/fuel will always pose a risk. But I'll still happily visit Cornwall

That was a bit of a rant at me???
Oh no, not in a million years, just topping up your basic knowledge Caff

Nice place Cornwell is... brandy on the rocks a caff ? Getting a slow cook & suntan just by sharing the time with some water washed rocks or cliff face in that part of the UK. You may want to camp at a old disused uranium mine/s too, I hear you good high radioactive exposure to end milling's from the mine waste heap, watch out for green bits/coating on the waste rocks, it's mixed uranium compounds releasing it's alpha, beta & Gamma particles.

toonlight
toonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 10:42   #49
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by toonlight View Post
Sorry to say everything has half-life caff, everything has a trace amount of radioactivity, fags have that's the cause for the cancer in smoking.(caesium 135) All fruit from abroad places has some trace levels of radioactive elements, try your bananas for example (selenium)

Ok how about your mobile phone, it's shiny & nice looking but has a radio active trace source in basic value. The base stations of mobile phone masts pump out near radioactive wave lengths (if you look on spectrum scope measurement) Even the hydrogen in the water has trace source of radioactive Hydrogen in the make up of normal hydrogen & oxygen

H2+O2>H2O (water)
D2O or ²H2O (heavy water - Deuterium oxide)

Yes have @ 11% in our bodies too, it's not radioactive, just more denser than normal H2O. Not forgetting small traces of other radioactive + non radioactive materials beside the water in our bodies, yes we are slightly radioactive just by ourselves.
Last thing caff background radiation, in some places (cliffs, sea bed rocks etc) natural radioactive radium (old clock dials paint), uranium/thorium (exposed & sunken rock bed)

A highly in lighted > toonlight
Erm, you may be confusing radionuclide selenium and selenium in food -the selenium in food is nonradioactive....
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 11:55   #50
jem
Inactive

Services: Broadband only (Vivid 300)
jem has a fine set of Quadsjem has a fine set of Quadsjem has a fine set of Quadsjem has a fine set of Quadsjem has a fine set of Quadsjem has a fine set of Quadsjem has a fine set of Quadsjem has a fine set of Quadsjem has a fine set of Quadsjem has a fine set of Quadsjem has a fine set of Quadsjem has a fine set of Quadsjem has a fine set of Quadsjem has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Erm, you may be confusing radionuclide selenium and selenium in food -the selenium in food is nonradioactive....
Well at the risk of being pedantic, about 9% of naturally occuring selenium is radioactive (it undergoes beta decay) but with such an extremely long half-life as to all intents and purposes it can be considered stable.

As for the discussion on nuclear power, my personal opinion is that in 25-30 years time the UK will be highly dependant on nuclear generated electricity. The only question is whether the reactors are in the UK or if we are buying it in from France at whatever price is demanded.
Old 17-03-2011, 12:47   #51
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

jem, you are absolutely right - but the rest (91%) is what is in the foodstuffs.
Old 17-03-2011, 20:34   #52
Caff
I'm a geek???

Caff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronze
Caff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronzeCaff is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by toonlight View Post
Oh no, not in a million years, just topping up your basic knowledge Caff

Nice place Cornwell is... brandy on the rocks a caff ? Getting a slow cook & suntan just by sharing the time with some water washed rocks or cliff face in that part of the UK. You may want to camp at a old disused uranium mine/s too, I hear you good high radioactive exposure to end milling's from the mine waste heap, watch out for green bits/coating on the waste rocks, it's mixed uranium compounds releasing it's alpha, beta & Gamma particles.

toonlight

Another pop at me???

I enjoy being there and I know about the radioactive rock structure which is why I mentioned it - the pleasure outweighs the risks
Old 17-03-2011, 20:45   #53
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

I wouldn't worry about it, Caff - he is just high on life (or something...).

Anyhoo, his grasp of radiation is tenuous - you can have alpha and beta particles, but it is gamma rays.....
Quote:
Gamma radiation is one of the three types of natural radioactivity. Gamma rays are electromagnetic radiation, like X-rays. The other two types of natural radioactivity are alpha and beta radiation, which are in the form of particles.
Old 17-03-2011, 20:58   #54
Caff
I'm a geek???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
I wouldn't worry about it, Caff - he is just high on life (or something...).

Anyhoo, his grasp of radiation is tenuous - you can have alpha and beta particles, but it is gamma rays.....
Well -I wondered
Still going to sit on that rock and watch the sun rise and go down.
And leave my chemistry, biology and physics learning at home
Old 25-03-2011, 11:26   #55
AdamD
cf.mega poster

Services: VM 50Mb
AdamD has reached the bronze age
AdamD has reached the bronze ageAdamD has reached the bronze ageAdamD has reached the bronze ageAdamD has reached the bronze age

I'd be "pro" nuclear power if they could find a way to get rid of the waste permanently, rather than burying it in the earth.

If they build some of these - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integral_Fast_Reactor

Then I would be less concerned with waste.
AdamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2011, 16:19   #56
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Well, the BBC has now published a column suggesting that the risks of Nuclear Power have been largely overstated..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-12860842
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote