Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | HD Catch Up being removed from V+/VHD

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

HD Catch Up being removed from V+/VHD

Old 21-08-2014, 16:30   #1
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star
HD Catch Up being removed from V+/VHD

HD programmes have gradually been removed from the V+ & VHD. At first VM blamed the BBC for it (shades of blaming them for iplayer buffering when it was VM's network capacity all along !). However they have now admitted on their forum that it's a deliberate policy to remove the HD programmes. They say its to increase the amount of SD content but sounds to me like they are trying push everyone onto TiVo. Problem is iplayer on Tivo is flawed and will get worse if everyone does switch.

What annoys me is the underhand way they've done it, gradually, hoping no one will notice. No announcement to customers about this downgrade of service and no consultation with them , plus of course the initial lies about why its happening.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-08-2014, 16:32   #2
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Re: HD Catch Up being removed from V+/VHD

Hm, that's not good!
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2014, 18:37   #3
fredtheted
Inactive

fredtheted can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Hm, that's not good!
But very true.
fredtheted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2014, 12:26   #4
japitts
cf.geek

Services: V6 with Full-House/Maxit Sports & Movies, 100Mb broadband, Talk Weekends.
japitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
HD programmes have gradually been removed from the V+ & VHD. At first VM blamed the BBC for it (shades of blaming them for iplayer buffering when it was VM's network capacity all along !). However they have now admitted on their forum that it's a deliberate policy to remove the HD programmes. They say its to increase the amount of SD content but sounds to me like they are trying push everyone onto TiVo. Problem is iplayer on Tivo is flawed and will get worse if everyone does switch.

What annoys me is the underhand way they've done it, gradually, hoping no one will notice. No announcement to customers about this downgrade of service and no consultation with them , plus of course the initial lies about why its happening.
I took several complaints about BBC programs missing from V+ CatchUp and specifically the CS-processes, ultimately to CEO-office level a while back. I had to eventually conclude that it was unofficial policy to dismiss these complaints with "sorry, that's how it is" and, as you say, push TiVo. Severely irritating really, but I'd already had my TiVo installed by that point..

iPlayer on the TiVo is quite capable of working fine (we have had issues but also seen massive improvements recently), but perhaps an increase in users is the straw that needs to break the camel's back...

However, that does indeed go full circle with VM's lack of communication. The removal of series & HD-catchup (some was BBC-initiated I know), relying on complaints to come in before admitting it.. I've also had "second-line" faults-CS swearing blind to me that the national-iPlayer-TiVo fault was still ongoing when the forum team had already sworn blind the exact opposite, hence calling in. Hopefully the telephone-faults people have since been told....

It only takes one rogue agent to dismiss valid fault-reports when they're called-in...
japitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2014, 15:48   #5
DVD Cinema
cf.addict

DVD Cinema has a spectacular aura about themDVD Cinema has a spectacular aura about themDVD Cinema has a spectacular aura about themDVD Cinema has a spectacular aura about them

BBC HD catch removal is annoyi

It also doesn't make sense that they have recently added and expanded Channel Five HD catch up, if the above is true.

ITV Player also stutters when there is too much motion in the shot, poor bitrate i assume.
DVD Cinema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2014, 17:15   #6
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post

I sympathise, but I think you have to accept that the V+ is 1990s technology and will now be phased out. See if you can get a better deal with VM, I'm sure it will be worth it.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2014, 17:37   #7
johnathome
cf.geek

Services: 125Mb VM BB. Prime, XBMC. Paramount+, Netflix, D+
johnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I sympathise, but I think you have to accept that the V+ is 1990s technology and will now be phased out. See if you can get a better deal with VM, I'm sure it will be worth it.
That's true, but the OP said it's being removed from the VHD box as well.

VM initally said the VHD would be capable of running the Tivo software.
johnathome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2014, 12:11   #8
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

With the gradual proliferation of more & more "Smart" TV's capable of reproducing iPlayer HD content direct, without the need for an extra box, I wonder if there will come a day it will dissapear from all third party platform boxes. After all, it costs the BBC to provide to these multiple platforms.
nodrogd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2014, 12:31   #9
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Yes, but the smart (connected) TVs give you selected features such as Netflix, but they don't give you everything. VM should, in my view, enable various different streaming services so that you can just use their boxes to access everything. I believe that this is the direction they are taking, but we need to move faster.
Old 23-09-2014, 10:38   #10
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I don't have a V+ box, I have a Tivo and VHD. The VHD is a current standard box that VM sell, and they are still supposed to support it. When is that going to have an update ? It is supposed to be capable of running Tivo software, although not sure I'd want that. It's far quicker than Tivo and the SD picture quality is better.

In theory I should be able to watch HD catch up on Tivo, but as we know that has major problems with network buffering particularly at peak times with HD. This is where the VHD also beats Tivo as it's not reliant on the network - HD catchup always played perfectly - maybe this is why they've removed HD catch up on the VHD (for showing Tivo up)? Their claim it's to make room for more SD content sounds cobblers, I've not seen extra content, less if anything with many mainstream BBC SD programmes also absent according to reports on the support forum.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2014, 11:17   #11
Anypermitedroute
Inactive

Services: Virgin TIVO XL package & Sky Movies and Sports HD XXL broadband & superhub
Anypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of Quads

i given up on catchup and ondemand and just use alternative solutions to watch, just too unreliable, even sky movies ondemand i now use the sky movies app instead of sky movies ondemand as the interface is far better to choose what to watch than on the V+HD
Anypermitedroute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2014, 12:27   #12
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

It may be coincidence, but since we've had the TIVO update, our BBC i-Player has been operating without problems, even on HD.

Spiderplant indicated that the main problem with the BBC i-Player was congestion, but I must say that the update has resolved a number of problems for us. Hope it works for everyone when it's rolled out.
Old 24-09-2014, 16:51   #13
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anypermitedroute View Post
i given up on catchup and ondemand and just use alternative solutions to watch, just too unreliable, even sky movies ondemand i now use the sky movies app instead of sky movies ondemand as the interface is far better to choose what to watch than on the V+HD
Totally agree with this, it can be as frustrating as hell at times, something Virgin want to fix!
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2014, 18:19   #14
telegramsam
telegramsam

Services: Sky Q,Multiscreen, Sky phone line, Sky broadband,Free view.
telegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant future

Anyone having a issue with on demand being unavailable? Getting nothing on either Tivo or v hd boxes.
telegramsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 12:30   #15
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by telegramsam View Post
Anyone having a issue with on demand being unavailable? Getting nothing on either Tivo or v hd boxes.
No, but BBC i-Player has been very glitchy for the last few days.