Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | should IVF be available for free on the NHS ?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

should IVF be available for free on the NHS ?

Old 19-07-2005, 15:37   #31
plums77
Inactive

plums77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: should IVF be available for free on the NHS ?

there is no way of knowing how much it will cost in total - there are allot of additional costs involved depending on how your body responds to fertility drugs etc. I couldnt afford an additional £110 a month anyway.
plums77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-07-2005, 15:40   #32
Bifta
Inactive

Bifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny star
Bifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by plums77
there is no way of knowing how much it will cost in total - there are allot of additional costs involved depending on how your body responds to fertility drugs etc. I couldnt afford an additional £110 a month anyway.
Would you not be spending more than that on a baby?
Bifta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2005, 16:00   #33
plums77
Inactive

of course but if i if IVF was availible through NHS People like me could put the thousands of pounds towards bringing thire children up
Old 19-07-2005, 16:01   #34
Jules
Inactive

Services: Don't have a clue any more.
Jules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny stars
Jules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny stars

I thought you could have it on the nhs but it was resticted to one or two trys? Maybe it is only in certain parts of the country or maybe it has been stopped now
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2005, 16:18   #35
Bifta
Inactive

Bifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny star
Bifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny star

Sorry, but I still (and always will) think it's a completely unneccesary expense to expect the tax payer/NHS to fork out for, bring back the chiropody and podiatry for OAP's (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/2549395.stm) instead of handing out funds to add to an already overpopulated society.
Bifta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2005, 16:28   #36
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyme38
I thought you could have it on the nhs but it was resticted to one or two trys? Maybe it is only in certain parts of the country or maybe it has been stopped now
Or maybe the situation has changed. Kronas started this thread nearly two years ago.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2005, 16:49   #37
Jules
Inactive

Services: Don't have a clue any more.
Jules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny stars
Jules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny stars

I never noticed
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2005, 18:36   #38
Bex
Inactive

Bex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appeal
Bex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appeal
Send a message via MSN to Bex

Quote:
I never noticed
whyme my reaction was also the same.... i thought that you got at least one attempt.... and i thought you could appeal through your local MP as well.

plums as has been said to the forum. I wouldn't say that I understand your feelings, because i've not been there, but i could empathise with you. If it was me, and i couldn't get IVF on the NHS and was, as desprate as you obviously are to have a child, I would try everything in my power to get the money together. I think i would probably do as bifta has suggested and take out bank loans etc to have the opportunity. I'd work heaps of overtime and save up for it as well. In short, i would do anything i possible could to get the money together.

However, I can also see Bifta's point of view. I think that a lot of areas of the NHS need better funding, in fact i was watching a programme the other day that was discussing the lack of funding in maternity wards, which has meant that some hospitals have had to turn people away, and turn babies away, who are ill. In my opinion, treating sick children is more important than funding for people to bring more children into the world, who won't necessarily have places that they could be treated, if they happened to get ill.

If all my attempts to have a child of my own did fail, then i would probably turn down the route of adoption. Yes, you may feel you lose out because you don't get the experience of pregnancy and birth, but i think that you can love a child no matter where they have come from.

something, which one might also consider, is that we are darn lucky to even have an NHS service. If we were somewhere like the states, we would have to pay for ALL treatment that we had.

plums as i've said i am not trying to demean what you feel, or undermine it in anyway but the above is how i feel about the issue.
Bex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2005, 19:15   #39
Angua
10 yrs same company 😁

Services: ? BB, basic phone. Share of Disney+
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars

The problem has more to do with inequality of access to IVF as the lady from Buckinghamshire pointed out. Unfortunately this applies to most areas of the NHS which with the best will in the world can never be funded properly. Everything depends on where you live as to what treatment you get and how fast.

Perhaps a limited number of attempts at IVF could be offered at a subsidised rate throughout the country but only after all other methods have been exhausted. As for those who say we have enough children, unfortunately the opposite is true. There will be more over 60's than under 20's in a short space of time (probably why they are trying to increase the working age to 70).

BTW I smoked for 30 years and I am sure in that time I have paid enough duty to pay for any illness I may cause myself as a result, and certainly less than any sport related injury would cost.
Angua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2005, 09:36   #40
plums77
Inactive

Quote:

They announced that in Feb 2005 that 1-2 cycles of IVF would be availible through the NHS to infertile couples throughout the country. I have visited the Doctors regurly for updates and it is still not in place. I think in other counties eg Oxfordshire & Hertfordshire this has now been put in place, but as it stands this does not apply in Buckinghamshire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bex
whyme my reaction was also the same.... i thought that you got at least one attempt.... and i thought you could appeal through your local MP as well.

plums as has been said to the forum. I wouldn't say that I understand your feelings, because i've not been there, but i could empathise with you. If it was me, and i couldn't get IVF on the NHS and was, as desprate as you obviously are to have a child, I would try everything in my power to get the money together. I think i would probably do as bifta has suggested and take out bank loans etc to have the opportunity. I'd work heaps of overtime and save up for it as well. In short, i would do anything i possible could to get the money together.

However, I can also see Bifta's point of view. I think that a lot of areas of the NHS need better funding, in fact i was watching a programme the other day that was discussing the lack of funding in maternity wards, which has meant that some hospitals have had to turn people away, and turn babies away, who are ill. In my opinion, treating sick children is more important than funding for people to bring more children into the world, who won't necessarily have places that they could be treated, if they happened to get ill.

If all my attempts to have a child of my own did fail, then i would probably turn down the route of adoption. Yes, you may feel you lose out because you don't get the experience of pregnancy and birth, but i think that you can love a child no matter where they have come from.

something, which one might also consider, is that we are darn lucky to even have an NHS service. If we were somewhere like the states, we would have to pay for ALL treatment that we had.

plums as i've said i am not trying to demean what you feel, or undermine it in anyway but the above is how i feel about the issue.

Thank you for your welcome