Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | should IVF be available for free on the NHS ?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

should IVF be available for free on the NHS ?

Old 19-07-2005, 10:59   #16
plums77
Inactive

plums77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: should IVF be available for free on the NHS ?

I have read all views on this subject, and speaking as a person who is unable to concieve naturally and behalf of all the other heartbroken couples who are in the same boat, I dissagree that IVF shouldnt be availible on NHS.

Maybe if they were in the same situation as the rest of us they would change their opinion.

I live in Buckinghashire, and at present we do not have goverment funding for IVF. Where as if i moved half hour away to Oxford this would be considered.

Why shouldnt IVF be availible on NHS??? Since i learned I could not have children naturally I have been heart broken. It seems allot of people who can have their own children can easily say "what about adoption, or fostering" I can understand what they are saying but as it stands it isnt as easy as all that to adopt or foster. Also why shouldnt we have the same chance as everyone else who are able to have thir own children ?? Isnt that the whole point of why we are on this palnet??

I dont think fertile couples have any idea what heart break infertility causes. it makes you feel useless, sad, worthless, and a whole lot more - not being able to do naturally what we should be able to do without problem like in allot of cases.

We live in hope and pray to god that things will happen naturally, but in the meantime for couples who do not have thousands of ponds to pay for treatment I think should be helped wherever possible.
plums77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-07-2005, 11:06   #17
Jules
Inactive

Services: Don't have a clue any more.
Jules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny stars
Jules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny stars

Aww Plums I am so sorry to hear of your heartache, welcome to the forum and I hope one day you will be blessed with a child by what ever means
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2005, 11:16   #18
plums77
Inactive

Thank you, I wish all other people in my situation all the very best of luck too
Old 19-07-2005, 12:53   #19
Bifta
Inactive

Bifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny star
Bifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny star

I don't think it should be available freely on the NHS at all, there are drugs that are crucial to people's health that are still not available for free so I believe the money out of our pockets should be prioritised towards them first.
Bifta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2005, 12:54   #20
plums77
Inactive

well thats your opinion isnt it.. i suppose you have a very large family odf your own ??
Old 19-07-2005, 13:01   #21
Bifta
Inactive

Bifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by plums77
well thats your opinion isnt it.. i suppose you have a very large family odf your own ??
No I don't but I do have an ill grandmother who can't get the specific drugs she needs on the NHS, tell me what physical symptoms you're putting up with on a daily basis through not being able to conceive?
Old 19-07-2005, 14:34   #22
plums77
Inactive

Fair point, no physical symptoms no, but other problems yes.
We all know people who are ill and im not saying these people shouldnt be treated.

Untill Infertility effects you, you will never understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangebird
??I smoke and drink - I have also payed NI contribution every month of my life since I was 16 (nearly 13 years & I have been fortunate enough to have never been unemployed) - you still think I have have no right to treatment should I need it??

As for the IVF subject - why can't those who need children adopt instead?

I agree with you regarding the smoking & drinking, also do you know how much money the comes out of the NHS for drug users. I actually work for the NHS.. it is shocking, they evenpay for taxi's to & from the rehab centre...self inflicted. Its discusting that we help these people, and for people who are ill through no fault of their own (some) have to pay for treatment..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramrod
....and theres a whole new topic

Do you actually know how long and hard the process is for adoption, thats is you are even considered.
Old 19-07-2005, 15:00   #23
Bifta
Inactive

Quote:
We all know people who are ill and im not saying these people shouldnt be treated.

Firstly don't make presumptions about people, you have absolutely no idea whether my partner is infertile or not, secondly, are you trying to infer that your need for a child is greater than the need for something like (for example) Herceptin to help treat women with breast cancer?
Old 19-07-2005, 15:02   #24
plums77
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bifta
No I don't but I do have an ill grandmother who can't get the specific drugs she needs on the NHS, tell me what physical symptoms you're putting up with on a daily basis through not being able to conceive?

I am sorry to hear about yr grandmother - what illness has she got ?
Old 19-07-2005, 15:08   #25
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Quote:

Firstly don't make presumptions about people, you have absolutely no idea whether my partner is infertile or not, secondly, are you trying to infer that your need for a child is greater than the need for something like (for example) Herceptin to help treat women with breast cancer?
Sadly, choices like that take place in the NHS everyday.

Sorry to hear about you grandmother BTW.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2005, 15:16   #26
plums77
Inactive

Quote:
well it is obviously not affecting you is it ?? if it was then maybe you would be a wee bit more sympathetic to people in my situation.

I am not refering to anything of the sort, i am simply saying that I think infertile couples should have the same chance as every other infertile couples throughout -
You are the one that brought up illness.
Old 19-07-2005, 15:16   #27
Jules
Inactive

Services: Don't have a clue any more.
Jules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny stars
Jules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny stars

It is such a difficult question to answer. The mental strain childless couples go through can be so great that ladies have breakdowns and sadly have even been known to kill them selves due to the depression they suffer through this.

Maybe some sort of payment plan could be set up to take the strain off the NHS were by you can get IVF but have to pay the money back that it costs? I don't know if this is the answer or not it is just a suggestion

One other thing I would like to say is that people that get treatment for an illness caused by them smoking have more than paid for it by all the tax they pay on evey packet of cigs that they buy
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2005, 15:18   #28
Bifta
Inactive

Quote:
well it is obviously not affecting you is it ?? if it was then maybe you would be a wee bit more sympathetic to people in my situation.

I am not refering to anything of the sort, i am simply saying that I think infertile couples should have the same chance as every other infertile couples throughout -
You are the one that brought up illness.
You're completely missing the point, if the NHS pipes money into IVF then it has to cut corners elsewhere, where do you think they should cut back?
Old 19-07-2005, 15:29   #29
plums77
Inactive

probably on drug users.. theres a massive expense on helping these people who have chosen to live their life the way they have

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyme38
It is such a difficult question to answer. The mental strain childless couples go through can be so great that ladies have breakdowns and sadly have even been known to kill them selves due to the depression they suffer through this.

Maybe some sort of payment plan could be set up to take the strain off the NHS were by you can get IVF but have to pay the money back that it costs? I don't know if this is the answer or not it is just a suggestion

One other thing I would like to say is that people that get treatment for an illness caused by them smoking have more than paid for it by all the tax they pay on evey packet of cigs that they buy
I would be more than happy to pay in installments if it meant that i would have a chance of affording IVF. its a great idea. I will never be in the position to be able to pay thousands of pounds at 1 time.
Old 19-07-2005, 15:33   #30
Bifta
Inactive

Quote:
probably on drug users.. theres a massive expense on helping these people who have chosen to live their life the way they have

Quote:
I would be more than happy to pay in installments if it meant that i would have a chance of affording IVF. its a great idea. I will never be in the position to be able to pay thousands of pounds at 1 time.
Credit card? (a lot of 9 month interest free ones about, that's just over £110 a month) or even a bank loan?