Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | should IVF be available for free on the NHS ?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Ingrown toenails

Old 30-05-2005, 22:47   #1
greencreeper
Inactive

Services: Email me for a current price list
greencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny star
greencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny star
Unhappy Ingrown toenails

Mine are going to be ripped off on Wednesday. I've had three cancelled appointments prior to this, for various reasons. I'm preparing for not coming out - various factors contribute to a fairly high probability something will go wrong. Dying doesn't really worry me as much as not being here does, and leaving behind loved ones.

Anyone want to share their horror stories, just to comfort me
greencreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-05-2005, 22:49   #2
Chimaera
cf.mega poster

Chimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny star
Chimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny star
Re: Ingrown toenails

I'm glad I'm not the only one to be scared! You will be fine though - remember you only hear of the horror stories/things that went wrong in the press - the papers wouldn't have enough room to publish all the success stories!
Good luck and hope you get lots of TLC when you come home, and post on here with the gory details/photos!
Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2005, 22:49   #3
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by greencreeper
Anyone want to share their horror stories, just to comfort me
about ingrowing toenails?
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2005, 22:53   #4
greencreeper
Inactive

greencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny star
greencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilligaf1701
about ingrowing toenails?
Any hospital horror story.

Well, here's my analysis...

Hospitals are dirty and full of sick people - high chance of infection and/or acquiring something nasty
The nails themselves are infected, which leaves open the possibility of septic shock, which means I won't be coming home with the same number of limbs and/or IQ I went in with
The surgery is minor - the sort trusted to a junior surgeon...
The surgery is routine - things that are routine have more chance of going wrong because routine breeds complacency. I've done it myself with computers.

I will post the gory details if I make it out.
Old 30-05-2005, 22:57   #5
Chimaera
cf.mega poster

Chimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny starChimaera has a nice shiny star

Of course you will make it out - only the good die young, remember! And as soon as you can walk or hobble about the ward you will be out - someone else will be waiting in the wings for your bed! And at least that way there is less chance of getting an infection (and less hospital food). They don't let the really junior doctors loose with operations - you should get someone with a bit of experience at least! And even if you do, I think most junior doctors start their new posts in August - so they would have had a few months experience by now, anyway.
Old 30-05-2005, 22:57   #6
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

Quote:

Hospitals are dirty and full of sick people - high chance of infection and/or acquiring something nasty
The nails themselves are infected, which leaves open the possibility of septic shock, which means I won't be coming home with the same number of limbs and/or IQ I went in with
The surgery is routine - things that are routine have more chance of going wrong because routine breeds complacency. I've done it myself with computers.

A couple of years ago my local hospital ran out of spaces in the morgue and was laying bodies out in the chapel.

Not nice - but true.

As for personal stories of horror - well I had an operation on my privates and that wasn't fun.
Old 30-05-2005, 22:58   #7
fireman328
Inactive

fireman328 has reached the bronze age
fireman328 has reached the bronze agefireman328 has reached the bronze age
Smile Re: Ingrown toenails

Quote:

Any chance of before and after pics as I need somethingto cheer me up ?
fireman328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2005, 23:03   #8
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

I went to hospital a few years back to have my wisdom teeth out.

When I woke up I started patting my cheeks to see how swolen they were, an discovered something hanging from my ear.

When I asked what it was I was told that it was one of the machines that they use to check you are still alive. Apparently it had been attached to my finger but, during the procedure, I had coughed so much that it had fallen off.

Apparently there were about 5 seconds after this thing fell off where I was apparently flatlining, according to their machines I was dead.

Oh how we laughed.....
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2005, 23:03   #9
Roy MM
Inactive

Services: NTL cable 20mb Broadband, V+ package.
Roy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appeal
Roy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appeal
Send a message via MSN to Roy MM

K i'm 59 up to last year i had never had any sort of operation, not even knocked out for teeth work, well i was rushed in last April with severe pains in my left leg................six operations later i came home minus the leg, so my advice do not delay any treatment it could save your life.
Roy MM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2005, 23:04   #10
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Well you're not likely to if you don't ....

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2005, 23:04   #11
greencreeper
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera
Of course you will make it out - only the good die young, remember!
Thanks!

Quote:
And as soon as you can walk or hobble about the ward you will be out - someone else will be waiting in the wings for your bed! And at least that way there is less chance of getting an infection (and less hospital food).
That's true. I won't be eating hospital food - seen one too many documentaries

Quote:
They don't let the really junior doctors loose with operations - you should get someone with a bit of experience at least! And even if you do, I think most junior doctors start their new posts in August - so they would have had a few months experience by now, anyway.
That's comforting

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilligaf1701
As for personal stories of horror - well I had an operation on my privates and that wasn't fun.
My dad had the snip and it went wrong. His nuts were a shade of blue/black apparently. A black doctor examined him and said he was fine - my dad, tactful as ever, remarked that maybe for him they were

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman328
Any chance of before and after pics as I need somethingto cheer me up ?
Thanks. Not much to see actually - just a bit red and puffy You'll have seen and smelt far worse I imagine.
Old 30-05-2005, 23:06   #12
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Quote:
That's true. I won't be eating hospital food - seen one too many documentaries
The one thing that was brilliant when I was in hospital the last few times was the food..

maybe it was soylent green
Old 30-05-2005, 23:07   #13
greencreeper
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlin
When I woke up I started patting my cheeks to see how swolen they were, an discovered something hanging from my ear.
Either your brains or your signature will be on this morphine script before the day is out, huh

I've been to oral surgery - scary, scary stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy MM
K i'm 59 up to last year i had never had any sort of operation, not even knocked out for teeth work, well i was rushed in last April with severe pains in my left leg................six operations later i came home minus the leg, so my advice do not delay any treatment it could save your life.
DVT or something??
Old 30-05-2005, 23:11   #14
Roy MM
Inactive

Services: NTL cable 20mb Broadband, V+ package.
Roy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appeal
Roy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appealRoy MM has a bronzed appeal
Send a message via MSN to Roy MM

Quote:

DVT or something??
Vascular disease.
Roy MM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2005, 23:12   #15
Chimaera
cf.mega poster

I had my varicose veins stripped several years ago and the surgical ward was full (yes FULL!) of old ladies that had either or both of their legs amputated - they were having wheelchair races up and down the ward! Every time the nurses came to take more details they were adamant I was having a leg removed too - you can guess what a state I was in by the time I was wheeled down for the op. When I woke up the first thing I did was feel down for my legs - but the strong painkillers had set in and I couldn't feel them, or wiggle my toes. I was nearly hysterical by the time they got me back to the ward - and I wouldn't shut up until they had demonstrated that both my legs were intact!