Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [MERGED] Poll: Same Sex civil marriages, yes or no.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

[MERGED] Poll: Same Sex civil marriages, yes or no.
View Poll Results: Should same sex civil marriage be allowed?
Yes 83 62.88%
No 42 31.82%
Undecided 7 5.30%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Old 28-03-2012, 17:48   #121
PeteTheMusicGuy
Inactive

Services: VM M BB, VM XL TV and M Phone
PeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond reputePeteTheMusicGuy has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to PeteTheMusicGuy Send a message via Yahoo to PeteTheMusicGuy
Re: [MERGED] Poll: Same Sex civil marriages, yes or no.

Yes ! If two people love each other what exactly is the problem
PeteTheMusicGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-04-2012, 14:27   #122
Alan Fry
Permanently Banned

Services: 100 MB Broadband, XL Tv, Sky Sports and Movies HD, all other prenium channels, 3 TIVO, 2 V HD
Alan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecartAlan Fry has upset the applecart

Really, I don't see what the problem is, if god DID create us, then he create people to be gay in the first place!
Alan Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 16:12   #123
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

One Tory MP seems rather confused on what gay marriage is:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/poli...id-Davies.html

Quote:
Mr Davies made the claim as he spoke out against David Cameron’s plans to allow same-sex couples to marry, including in some churches.

Mr Davies, the MP for Monmouth, said the plan was “barking mad” and would cost the Conservative Party many of its traditional supporters.

In an interview with BBC Wales, he went on to say that “most parents” would prefer their children not to be homosexual.
Ok....Still maybe they would want their children to be able to married if they did happen to be gay? I don't understand why he made the comparison, does he think gay marriage will means lot of gay children everywhere?
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 17:21   #124
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

I'm confused about this whole Gay marriage thing, can someone enlighten me.

As far as I was aware, same sex civil partnerships are aready in place and legally in the UK have the same rights etc as a hetrosexual Civil partnership in a registry office , or elsewhere.

So that should be all well and good.

But now the argument is that some gay people may wish to be "married" in a church.

However, there's nothing the govenment can do about that as, correct me if I'm wrong, they can't direct a religious body to fundementally go against their beliefs and order them to allow gay marriages.

So therefore the government are saying that it's OK, if the church wants to allow it.

But I don't see what it's got to do with the government. They've done their bit by allowing the civil registry bit, haven't they?
Old 10-12-2012, 17:56   #125
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
I'm confused about this whole Gay marriage thing, can someone enlighten me.

As far as I was aware, same sex civil partnerships are aready in place and legally in the UK have the same rights etc as a hetrosexual Civil partnership in a registry office , or elsewhere.

So that should be all well and good.

But now the argument is that some gay people may wish to be "married" in a church.

However, there's nothing the govenment can do about that as, correct me if I'm wrong, they can't direct a religious body to fundementally go against their beliefs and order them to allow gay marriages.

So therefore the government are saying that it's OK, if the church wants to allow it.

But I don't see what it's got to do with the government. They've done their bit by allowing the civil registry bit, haven't they?
No, they want their union to be called a marriage. It doesn't have to take place in a church. It will still be the case that a church won't have to conduct the marriage.
Old 10-12-2012, 18:02   #126
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
No, they want their union to be called a marriage. It doesn't have to take place in a church. It will still be the case that a church won't have to conduct the marriage.
Ok, so call it a marriage, the situation remains the same - from a legal perspective?
Old 10-12-2012, 18:08   #127
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Ok, so call it a marriage, the situation remains the same - from a legal perspective?
I think so, bar a couple of bizarre differences to do with awards honours by the Queen. It's more about the perception that a couple's union is somehow less than, different, to marriage. For a couple to be told that their partnership is not a normal marriage.
Old 10-12-2012, 18:12   #128
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

And some religious institutions object to a civil partnerhsip being called marriage because they feel a union can only be called a marriage when it conforms to their rules.
Old 10-12-2012, 18:18   #129
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Not from a spiritual perspective it's not and that is what the argument is all about .Two devout christian men can celebrate their religion in church but the church and God will not recognize a union between the two as a marriage ,it's nothing to do with legality
Old 10-12-2012, 18:27   #130
robson689
Inactive

Services: VM 60Mbit, TiVo.
robson689 has a spectacular aura about themrobson689 has a spectacular aura about themrobson689 has a spectacular aura about themrobson689 has a spectacular aura about them

Not going to read all the posts, just going to post my opinion. Marriage is between a man and woman. All of the gay people I have spoken to in regards to this have no problem with a civil partnership and don't even want to be married. Religion should not be disturbed.
robson689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 18:45   #131
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:

That's the crux of the argument ,any change in the C of E must be approved by both houses of parliament .Also the crown (otherwise known as parliament) can instigate changes

---------- Post added at 18:45 ---------- Previous post was at 18:36 ----------

Should point out that i voted no in the poll ,i think this is a rather cynical attempt by Cameron to garner favour with voters .If such a decision was made or contemplated it should be done by the church and the church alone as it is an important part of christianity.
Old 10-12-2012, 18:56   #132
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
Should point out that i voted no in the poll ,i think this is a rather cynical attempt by Cameron to garner favour with voters .If such a decision was made or contemplated it should be done by the church and the church alone as it is an important part of christianity.
In which case I should point out that you appear to have misunderstood the poll (which is about a year old). It specifically states Same Sex civil marriages. This is not about forcing religious institutions to marry same sex couples. It's about same sex couples getting the right to call their civil partnership marriage.
Old 10-12-2012, 19:00   #133
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Why should the church get to decide how everyone else lives? They are free to refuse to marry same sex couples as the Government reminded us today, but they shouldn't have the right to tell others who do not share their faith who they can marry.
Old 10-12-2012, 19:10   #134
martyh

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielf View Post
In which case I should point out that you appear to have misunderstood the poll (which is about a year old). It specifically states Same Sex civil marriages. This is not about forcing religious institutions to marry same sex couples. It's about same sex couples getting the right to call their civil partnership marriage.
looks like i have ,i thought the thread had been merged with the one about same sex marriage .Seems we are discussing stuff in the wrong thread

---------- Post added at 19:10 ---------- Previous post was at 19:06 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Why should the church get to decide how everyone else lives? They are free to refuse to marry same sex couples as the Government reminded us today, but they shouldn't have the right to tell others who do not share their faith who they can marry.
They aren't ,they are deciding how christians should live ,which they are allowed to do
Old 10-12-2012, 19:16   #135
danielf
cf.mega poser

Quote:
looks like i have ,i thought the thread had been merged with the one about same sex marriage .Seems we are discussing stuff in the wrong thread

---------- Post added at 19:10 ---------- Previous post was at 19:06 ----------

They aren't ,they are deciding how christians should live ,which they are allowed to do
Except that the latest suggestions are for exactly what the poll is about. Opening up civil marriage to gay couples. It's not about forcing religious institutions to open up their marriage to same sex couples (though they be free to do so if they wanted).