Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [MERGED] Poll: Same Sex civil marriages, yes or no.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

[MERGED] Poll: Same Sex civil marriages, yes or no.
View Poll Results: Should same sex civil marriage be allowed?
Yes 83 62.88%
No 42 31.82%
Undecided 7 5.30%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-12-2012, 23:17   #166
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week
Re: [MERGED] Poll: Same Sex civil marriages, yes or no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielf View Post
And they're all called marriage, just as the secular thing called civil marriage.

Either way: we don't accept that any religion (or religion in general) can claim the term marriage, or its definition. The reality it that there is a secular thing called marriage as well, and secular marriage is set to change. Religious institutions may decide to upgrade their definitions if they want to. If they don't that's fine, but they can't tell us what to do.
Problem is though that many do not believe there can be such a thing as secular marriage,i am one, but i do understand what you mean and it may surprise you to know i see it as inevitable .Religion will survive as it always has done ,the die hards will eventually die out and the church will change as has happened since we have had religion
Advertisement
Old 10-12-2012, 23:19   #167
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

How do you feel about my marriage, then, which was carried out at a Registry Office?
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 23:21   #168
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
Right.Can someone please explain to me the difference between the civil partnership that my daughter went through with my new daughter-in-law in September and the one being proposed by David Cameron?
In religious terms it is not a marriage as it is not between man and woman and cannot be consummated ,and it's that last bit that will ultimately prove to be the sticking point in the argument between the cofe and the government ,it will end up in court to sort it out imo
Old 10-12-2012, 23:24   #169
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
In religious terms it is not a marriage as it is not between man and woman and cannot be consummated ,and it's that last bit that will ultimately prove to be the sticking point in the argument between the cofe and the government ,it will end up in court to sort it out imo
You haven't answered my question.
Old 10-12-2012, 23:31   #170
martyh

Quote:
You haven't answered my question.
I tried personally i don't think cameron understands the implications or trouble he's causing himself
Old 10-12-2012, 23:39   #171
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Could it be there IS no difference?Except that those religious institutions who want to officiate at said same sex partnerships are free to do so if they wish or not if that's their desire.

Also I did not marry in church but I regard myself as married.Being an atheist I chose deliberately to marry in a registry office.
Old 10-12-2012, 23:44   #172
martyh

Quote:
Could it be there IS no difference?Except that those religious institutions who want to officiate at said same sex partnerships are free to do so if they wish or not if that's their desire.

Also I did not marry in church but I regard myself as married.Being an atheist I chose deliberately to marry in a registry office.
As i said earlier ,i think it's a rather cynical attempt to get some more votes from the gay community and ..............possibly the atheist one
Old 11-12-2012, 08:23   #173
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
Problem is though that many do not believe there can be such a thing as secular marriage,i am one, but i do understand what you mean and it may surprise you to know i see it as inevitable .Religion will survive as it always has done ,the die hards will eventually die out and the church will change as has happened since we have had religion
Doesn't matter if people don't 'believe' in secular marriage, it exists. If you have a civil (secular) marriage then you're married in the eyes of the law, you tick 'married' on official forms, you officially have a wife/husband, you can't marry someone else is a religious or civil ceremony and so on.

Now, for that institution we're talking about allowing gay people to do the same. If people don't believe in it then what does it matter if we allow gay people to do it?
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:42   #174
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
Not true. Civil partnerships in this country are only recognisable in some other countries (even some British overseas territories they would not be counted as partners,) where as marriages would give a gay couple a lot more protection outside of the UK...

So in simple terms under a CP if a partner fell ill whilst on holiday on most countries they would have no rights to decide medical treatment, repatriation and in some countries even simple things such as visiting rights. Where as if they were married (even a same sex marriage) they would be recognised as the spouse in most countries..

It's not just about the UK...
I got married in on a hotel balcony in Greece.

I don't even know what my marriage certificate says, as it's in Greek.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:53   #175
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
I got married in on a hotel balcony in Greece.

I don't even know what my marriage certificate says, as it's in Greek.
Heaven knows what you've agreed to then!
Old 11-12-2012, 12:27   #176
Saaf_laandon_mo
Inactive

Saaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny star
Saaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Heaven knows what you've agreed to then!
Donner kebab and chips?
Saaf_laandon_mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:52   #177
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saaf_laandon_mo View Post
Donner kebab and chips?
I think he has probably agreed to take on a large portion of Greece's debt.

Everyone well versed in the Trojan Marriage Debt Certificate scam. Dam Greeks....
Old 11-12-2012, 12:57   #178
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

It's officially a cop out

Quote:
The Church of England and Church of Wales will be banned in law from offering same-sex marriages, the government has announced.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-20680924

Why don;t they just give the churches the option to perform them or not and leave it at that????
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 13:02   #179
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
It's officially a cop out

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-20680924

Why don;t they just give the churches the option to perform them or not and leave it at that????
To stop individual churches breaking with the organisation? I don't care so much about that. It's not a cop-out as everyone else will be able to do so whilst religious organisations will be allowed not to do so. Win - Win.
Old 11-12-2012, 13:31   #180
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

As expected some anti-religionists on my fb are saying the new laws don't go far enough and that all churches ought to be forced to accept gay marriages if requested. Superiority, not equality is only good enough for some people clearly.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is online now   Reply With Quote