Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | NEW POLL: Election 2015, one week to go

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Open Discussion - Freddie Gray

Old 01-05-2015, 18:54   #1
Arthurgray50@blu
cf.mega poster

Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Open Discussion - Freddie Gray

http://news.sky.com/story/1476063/co...die-gray-death

I know that this happened in the USA. But my thoughts are that, there will be repercussions over here.

My main reason for this thread is that, a guy gets arrested - we don't know why. But we now find that the police officers are being charged with his death at the way he was handled.

There police Union have said that the officers are NOT responsible for his death

What the DA has NOT stated is WHY, the guy was arrested, neither has the police dept for that matter
I have seen footage of what the officers did, just put him in plastic cuffs, and then put him in the van

Did the officers have intelligence on that person, big enough to arrest

What do members think
Arthurgray50@blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-05-2015, 19:09   #2
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: Open Discussion - Freddie Gray

He was arrested for possession of a switchblade, which was discovered after the police had chased (which makes you wonder why they chased him, as they didn't know he had it until they caught him ).

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/police-fr...ed-switchblade
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 19:15   #3
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu View Post
http://news.sky.com/story/1476063/co...die-gray-death

I know that this happened in the USA. But my thoughts are that, there will be repercussions over here.
I predict there won't.
Old 01-05-2015, 20:09   #4
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

The police officer has been charged: http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2...die-gray-death

I think there is a problem here. Each case in isolation may not be indicative of such a problem but pooled together and there is clearly an issue with the policing, education and opportunities between these communities. This article shows that Baltimore has serious issues that haven't been addressed for a long time now: http://www.economist.com/blogs/democ...iminal-justice

Quote:
It does not help, either, that Baltimore is one of the most dangerous cities in America. Its murder rate in 2013 was 37 per 100,000—worse than South Africa’s. In one week of June of that year, the city saw ten murders and 28 shootings among a population of just 622,000. Baltimore is a city where young black men are occasionally killed by the police—and where most days a young black man is murdered by another young black man.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 22:09   #5
Arthurgray50@blu
cf.mega poster

Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal

This is why l am surprised. The Police may have had Intel on Gray, as the reason why they stopped him. As the comment by Damien.

I think this may be that the DA, is taking this action possibly to prove a point in law. Yes, no one is above the law. But yhe biggest point made is by the Police Union rep. I think this may be a long legal battle.

It appears to me, that Police in America will now have to be careful when they nick someone.
Arthurgray50@blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 22:40   #6
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu View Post
This is why l am surprised. The Police may have had Intel on Gray, as the reason why they stopped him. As the comment by Damien.

I think this may be that the DA, is taking this action possibly to prove a point in law. Yes, no one is above the law. But yhe biggest point made is by the Police Union rep. I think this may be a long legal battle.

It appears to me, that Police in America will now have to be careful when they nick someone.
No, I think they will have to be careful when they kill someone....
Old 01-05-2015, 22:45   #7
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
The police officer has been charged: http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2...die-gray-death

I think there is a problem here. Each case in isolation may not be indicative of such a problem but pooled together and there is clearly an issue with the policing, education and opportunities between these communities. This article shows that Baltimore has serious issues that haven't been addressed for a long time now: http://www.economist.com/blogs/democ...iminal-justice
It is quite shocking how many murders/killings happen in the USA and how desensitised to it all many of them seem to have become. I used to think the Wild West was an invention of Hollywood but in many places it seems to be the reality. I really don't know how any president could preside over such mayhem and sleep at night.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 00:54   #8
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

I have had an African American online friend for the past 20 years.He like so many of his community are incensed by these incidents and the language used about them and the people they hold responsible for an upsurge in blatant racism (the GOP/Tea Party in the Republican party) appearing on Social media should be enough to give the Authorities cause to worry..This maybe why in this latest incident they are considering prosecutions..

Not that you would know from the rubbish being reported on the major US news media which mostly seem to be very partisan in favour of the police..
Old 02-05-2015, 01:04   #9
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

In how many of these sorts of cases, in the US and over here, are where people are resisting arrest in a big way? More force has to be used to contain somebody who is struggling madly than somebody who accepts the situation and that they are not going to get away.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 01:33   #10
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Being shot eight tines in the back whilst running away is not 'resisting arrest'....

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2...-murder-charge

The man was wanted for a traffic violation, not murder or crimes of violence.
Old 02-05-2015, 02:18   #11
nomadking
cf.mega poster

nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Being shot eight tines in the back whilst running away is not 'resisting arrest'....

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2...-murder-charge

The man was wanted for a traffic violation, not murder or crimes of violence.
Then why was he running away? That's suggestive of something a lot more serious. Even that situation is a "resisting arrest".

Since when was Baltimore in South Carolina?

Where did I say "in all cases"?

There seems to be a suggestion that it was as a result of not wearing a seat belt and not any alleged physical contact.
Quote:
Ms Mosby said Gray died as a result of injuries suffered while he was shackled inside a Baltimore police van, but not restrained by a seat belt - as he was legally required to be.
That doesn't exclude the possibility of him thrashing about, all by himself.
Old 02-05-2015, 03:02   #12
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Services: ClearFibre Internet, Vodafone mobile Google Pixel 4
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars

Six officers charged in death of Freddie Gray

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/mar...ry.html#page=1
Cobbydaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 09:02   #13
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
Then why was he running away? That's suggestive of something a lot more serious. Even that situation is a "resisting arrest".

Since when was Baltimore in South Carolina?

Where did I say "in all cases"?

There seems to be a suggestion that it was as a result of not wearing a seat belt and not any alleged physical contact.
That doesn't exclude the possibility of him thrashing about, all by himself.
So it's OK to shoot and kill someone if they run away?

Sounds a bit extreme - what next; if you don't pay your rent on time, the police come and set fire to your house?

Anyway, the reason they are being charged is explained more in the BBC article - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-32400497

It also states he didn't have a switchblade, as the officers put in their arrest report, but a legal folding pocket knife (like a Swiss Army knife).

The reason I used the other example was for the illustration that it's quite common for young black men to die whilst being arrested in the USA.
Old 02-05-2015, 09:17   #14
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
Then why was he running away? That's suggestive of something a lot more serious.
I'd say the possibility of getting beaten up, having your spine broken and then being left to die in the back of a paddy wagon is a lot more serious.

The Freddy Gray case demonstrates why a lot of black people instinctively run for the hills when they attract the attention of the local cops.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 09:29   #15
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
So it's OK to shoot and kill someone if they run away?

Sounds a bit extreme - what next; if you don't pay your rent on time, the police come and set fire to your house?

Anyway, the reason they are being charged is explained more in the BBC article - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-32561056

It also states he didn't have a switchblade, as the officers put in their arrest report, but a legal folding pocket knife (like a Swiss Army knife).

The reason I used the other example was for the illustration that it's quite common for young black men to die whilst being arrested in the USA.
And if it turned out that they were a serial killer? Why run for just a traffic violation? Just because somebody hasn't been arrested for a certain crime before now, doesn't mean they haven't committed it at some time and think that is what the arrest is about.

Police are shot at and even killed during traffic stops.
Quote:
A career criminal who gunned down a veteran police officer during a routine traffic stop has been captured following a shootout with cops - ending a massive manhunt that paralyzed St. Paul, Minnesota on Wednesday.
Quote:
A suspect in a traffic stop opened fire on police on Friday evening and seriously wounded an officer before being killed by other officers at the scene, CBS Boston reported. An apparent bystander also was shot.
Amongst others.

And how many of them were resisting arrest in some way?

In THIS case, 3 of the accused are NOT white. The death DOES NOT seem to have been caused by any physical contact from ANY of the Police.