Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Chipped boxes

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Chipped boxes

Old 17-10-2004, 10:00   #1
Nidge

Services: Virgin, phone and 50meg Broadband.
Chipped boxes

There seems to be an alarming amount of chipped boxes being offered for sale around Mansfield this past few weeks, the price being £150 fitted. I just wondered if NTL are aware this is happening? I know a few people who have purchased these boxes, will charges be bought if these people are caught using these boxes? I've lost count how many times I've been offered one this past year.
Advertisement
Old 17-10-2004, 11:07   #2
sirsimon
Inactive

Services: ntl broadband 2mb sports and movies collection & virgin mobile user
sirsimon is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to sirsimon Send a message via Yahoo to sirsimon
Re: Chipped boxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidge
There seems to be an alarming amount of chipped boxes being offered for sale around Mansfield this past few weeks, the price being £150 fitted. I just wondered if NTL are aware this is happening? I know a few people who have purchased these boxes, will charges be bought if these people are caught using these boxes? I've lost count how many times I've been offered one this past year.

better be caught I say why can they get away with free tv when we all have to pay ?
sirsimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2004, 11:48   #3
Nidge

Services: Virgin, phone and 50meg Broadband.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirsimon
better be caught I say why can they get away with free tv when we all have to pay ?

My sentiments exactly.
Old 17-10-2004, 12:07   #4
scrotnig
cf.mega poster

scrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appeal
scrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appealscrotnig has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidge
Yes they are aware it goes on and have a dedicated team who have had considerable success in smashing the operations that market these.

They don't discuss their work publicly for obvious reasons, which is why people sometimes thing nothing is happening.

Like any crime, you can never totally eradicate it. But there's several people who've eaten bread and water for doing this.
Old 17-10-2004, 15:13   #5
Pea-Pod
cf.addict

Pea-Pod is on a distinguished roadPea-Pod is on a distinguished road

I was told with digital boxes NTL can change the signal on a frequent basis, so that a chipped box becomes scrambled and effectively useless after they do this.
Pea-Pod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2004, 15:19   #6
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

I'm sure ntl have all sorts of ways and means to reduce the effectiveness of chipped boxes. Perhaps the most obvious is that you have to be physically connected to ntl's cable system. I would have thought that chipping or otherwise that is bound to create some sort of signal into ntl's network that can be interrogated.

If your going to buy something that is chipped, surely a sky system would be a better option, as without the physical connection to a network, tracing the box must be much harder. All the chipped box would have to do is get round any changing scrambling codes.

Bottom line though using a chipped STB is theft, and cannot be condoned. Anyone caught using such a system deserves whatever they have coming to them.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2004, 22:14   #7
hairy_mick
Inactive

hairy_mick has a spectacular aura about themhairy_mick has a spectacular aura about themhairy_mick has a spectacular aura about themhairy_mick has a spectacular aura about them

its not just the cable tv box's that are chipped but also the cable modem's as well stand alone that is.
hairy_mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2004, 22:29   #8
paulyoung666
Permanently Banned

paulyoung666 has a nice shiny star
paulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairy_mick
its not just the cable tv box's that are chipped but also the cable modem's as well stand alone that is.

cant see the point in getting one tbh , i would rather pay the money / month than risk being banged up for theft of service
paulyoung666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2004, 22:37   #9
Chris W
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Broadband Size M
Chris W has a nice shiny star
Chris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny starChris W has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to Chris W

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairy_mick
This is not as common though as it is much harder to achieve...

and yes i agree the chippers should be caught
Chris W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2004, 22:46   #10
ntlrocks
Inactive

ntlrocks will become famous soon enoughntlrocks will become famous soon enoughntlrocks will become famous soon enough

£100 or less in belfast, i have the mobile number of one of the chippers , however no use giving this to ntl:
ntlrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2004, 22:53   #11
paulyoung666
Permanently Banned

paulyoung666 has a nice shiny star
paulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntlrocks
£100 or less in belfast, i have the mobile number of one of the chippers , however no use giving this to ntl:

why not ?????????????
paulyoung666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2004, 23:08   #12
browneggsandham
I try to help.

Services: Virgin Media VIP - 2 x V6, M350 & phone
browneggsandham is on a distinguished roadbrowneggsandham is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntlrocks
Why not? Go for it mate. As was said earlier, they have a team dedicated to cracking down on these idiots, so why not make use of it??

Browneggsandham
browneggsandham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2004, 23:54   #13
Shaun
Inactive

Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star
Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star

Cant see them getting a court order to find out who the number belongs to! Come to think of it the sim may not even be registered!
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2004, 01:52   #14
quadplay
Inactive

Services: 9am, 1pm and 8pm daily
quadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze array
quadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze arrayquadplay has a bronze array

The SIM may not be registered if it's PAYG, but remember who owns most of the mobile transmitters in the UK...
quadplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2004, 08:14   #15
zoombini
Inactive

Services: I no longer receive cable services, I blame the inept accounts dept for that.
zoombini has reached the bronze age
zoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze agezoombini has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo
The SIM may not be registered if it's PAYG, but remember who owns most of the mobile transmitters in the UK...
Who?
zoombini is offline   Reply With Quote