Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | How stupid is the water ban

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

How stupid is the water ban

Old 07-04-2012, 12:10   #151
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Services: 3 phone lines, 100mb broadband, and TV x2 (including one Tivo)
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze age
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze age
Re: How stupid is the water ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
Don't clean it, grow spuds.
As long as I don't use a hosepipe to water them

I'd just like to point out...that isn't actually my car
Tim Deegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-04-2012, 12:30   #152
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Deegan View Post
As long as I don't use a hosepipe to water them

I'd just like to point out...that isn't actually my car
Aye right you are ,personally i just think you are damn lazy letting your car get in that condition
Old 07-04-2012, 13:32   #153
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
So you are telling me that your system will just make all this dirt fall off the car?

If you use a good wax, or even better a resin polish and then wax, then grit won't stick to the paint. And the resin polish puts a layer on top of the paint that protects it.

There are two pages of reviews here. Many give 5 stars, but it's worth reading the ones that don't: http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-revi...owViewpoints=1
No of course I'm not saying that. In fact if you'd actually read my earlier reply to you on the subject I specifically said that in such situations getting the excess off with water first would be best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
If you read the reviews by people who've actually used it you will see it doesn't do that. It lubricates the surfaces to prevent any scratching and both our cars are paint swirl free zone unlike the ones I used to wash the traditional way. Having said that, I think large amounts of dried on mud etc. would be better softened with water and the worst removed before using the product.
After the stuff's been applied the first time it cfreates a barrier which then protects the paint work with a carnuba wax finish not dissimilar from the sort of stuff you already say you're using by the sound of it. The main difference about this product is that it stops the dirt from scratching the paint as the cleaning process is carried out.

As for the reviews if you check the Ideal World TV site for the product you will see pages and pages of 5 star reviews. In fact IIRC it's that channel's all time biggest seller for a number of years. Now don't tell me that fact coupled with all those reviews isn't enough evidence that it's worth trying, especially when you get your money back if it doesn't live up to expectations. Of course some people don't get on with some products and sometimes that's because they don't use them properly. All I can do is report what I've actually done and tried and until you do the same you can only base your opinions on those of others.

62 pages of nearly all 5 star reviews = an average rating of 4.8/5.

I don't see many products of any type with that number of ratings and that average.

http://www.idealworld.tv/BOGOF_Greas...e#BVRRWidgetID
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 14:13   #154
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Tim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze age

Quote:
No of course I'm not saying that. In fact if you'd actually read my earlier reply to you on the subject I specifically said that in such situations getting the excess off with water first would be best.

After the stuff's been applied the first time it cfreates a barrier which then protects the paint work with a carnuba wax finish not dissimilar from the sort of stuff you already say you're using by the sound of it. The main difference about this product is that it stops the dirt from scratching the paint as the cleaning process is carried out.
So you would have to wash it with water the first time, otherwise it will seal in the grime.

Quote:
As for the reviews if you check the Ideal World TV site for the product you will see pages and pages of 5 star reviews. In fact IIRC it's that channel's all time biggest seller for a number of years. Now don't tell me that fact coupled with all those reviews isn't enough evidence that it's worth trying, especially when you get your money back if it doesn't live up to expectations. Of course some people don't get on with some products and sometimes that's because they don't use them properly. All I can do is report what I've actually done and tried and until you do the same you can only base your opinions on those of others.

62 pages of nearly all 5 star reviews = an average rating of 4.8/5.

I don't see many products of any type with that number of ratings and that average.

http://www.idealworld.tv/BOGOF_Greas...e#BVRRWidgetID
I'm very suspicious of any product that has pages and pages of 5 star reviews, as most of them are often fake. A perfect example of this is Ergoflex.

I tend to read all the ones that aren't 100% positive, as you tend to get a more realistic review that way.

You also have to to take into account that many people will leave a review after the first time they use it. This doesn't take into account long term use. One of the Amazon reviewers did go into the long term use.

I think the Amazon ratings probably give a better picture.

---------- Post added at 14:13 ---------- Previous post was at 14:12 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
Aye right you are ,personally i just think you are damn lazy letting your car get in that condition
But just think how much I have saved the environment
Old 07-04-2012, 14:24   #155
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:

I'm very suspicious of any product that has pages and pages of 5 star reviews, as most of them are often fake. A perfect example of this is Ergoflex.
excellant advice ,i went to this site for some advice but having seen all the positive reviews i rapidly became suspicious so decided to go elsewhere
Old 07-04-2012, 14:34   #156
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
So you would have to wash it with water the first time, otherwise it will seal in the grime.

I tend to read all the ones that aren't 100% positive, as you tend to get a more realistic review that way.

---------- Post added at 14:13 ---------- Previous post was at 14:12 ----------

But just think how much I have saved the environment

You will only have to use water in EXTREME situations like those in the picture you showed. 99% of the time I use no water but if I were a farmer cleaning my tractor with it I'd use water more often. The product does not seal in the dirt, it lubricates it away from the surface without scratching and leaves everything perfectly clean except for the cloth you use of course.

It seems you're suspicious when products have bad reviews and suspicious when they have too many good reviews. So when a product comes out which is a great product and is widely accepted as being so by a large number of people, you'll avoid that product because you believe too many good reviews are a sign of something dodgy going on? I believe that's taking cynicism a tad too far.

The only comment I can make about the reviews on the Ideal World site are that there are plenty of negative
reviews posted on various other products so there's no way the company are selecting only the positive reviews and unlikely that the reviews for this product are dubious. Also, they offer a money back guarantee so they'd hardly be selling a product for years that people kept on returning because it failed to work as promised.

Anyway, I was sceptical at first but unlike you I've actually been using the product for several years now so I have first hand experience to go on. Now that's more important than any number of reviews.

I really don't know why you don't just buy some and try it, then comment on something you've actually used. It's not like it's expensive is it? I mean you haven't really got much to lose have you. I use it all over the home now - it's great on any hard surfaces including glass and stainless steel, of which our kitchen has quite a lot. It's by far the best cleaner I've used for such surfaces as it's virtually effortless to use, removes grease etc. and doesn't scratch anything. It also seems to keep those pesky fingerprints off the stainless steel fridge door for ages and for that it's worth it's weight in gold.

Anyway since I very sadly don't own shares in the company and this is a thread about the drought, I'll make this my last post on the subject and wish you happy cleaning whatever you decide.

Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 14:47   #157
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Quote:
excellant advice ,i went to this site for some advice but having seen all the positive reviews i rapidly became suspicious so decided to go elsewhere
Well where are all the fake positive reviews?

---------- Post added at 14:47 ---------- Previous post was at 14:42 ----------

Quote:
You will only have to use water in EXTREME situations like those in the picture you showed. 99% of the time I use no water but if I were a farmer cleaning my tractor with it I'd use water more often. The product does not seal in the dirt, it lubricates it away from the surface without scratching and leaves everything perfectly clean except for the cloth you use of course.

It seems you're suspicious when products have bad reviews and suspicious when they have too many good reviews. So when a product comes out which is a great product and is widely accepted as being so by a large number of people, you'll avoid that product because you believe too many good reviews are a sign of something dodgy going on? I believe that's taking cynicism a tad too far.

The only comment I can make about the reviews on the Ideal World site are that there are plenty of negative
reviews posted on various other products so there's no way the company are selecting only the positive reviews and unlikely that the reviews for this product are dubious. Also, they offer a money back guarantee so they'd hardly be selling a product for years that people kept on returning because it failed to work as promised.

Anyway, I was sceptical at first but unlike you I've actually been using the product for several years now so I have first hand experience to go on. Now that's more important than any number of reviews.

I really don't know why you don't just buy some and try it, then comment on something you've actually used. It's not like it's expensive is it? I mean you haven't really got much to lose have you. I use it all over the home now - it's great on any hard surfaces including glass and stainless steel, of which our kitchen has quite a lot. It's by far the best cleaner I've used for such surfaces as it's virtually effortless to use, removes grease etc. and doesn't scratch anything. It also seems to keep those pesky fingerprints off the stainless steel fridge door for ages and for that it's worth it's weight in gold.

Anyway since I very sadly don't own shares in the company and this is a thread about the drought, I'll make this my last post on the subject and wish you happy cleaning whatever you decide.

It's quite simple in my eyes. If you wipe over grit with a cloth, then that grit will stay on the cloth and scratch the paint the first time it is used, when there is no protective layer built up.

Dodgy reviews are often posted by the manufacturer rather than the retailer.
Old 07-04-2012, 15:36   #158
martyh

Quote:
Well where are all the fake positive reviews?
no idea mate ,just following your excellant advice about sites with loads of positive reviews
Old 07-04-2012, 16:03   #159
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Quote:
no idea mate ,just following your excellant advice about sites with loads of positive reviews
As I said, where are all these poitive reviews on review sites you talk about?
Old 07-04-2012, 16:11   #160
martyh

Quote:
As I said, where are all these poitive reviews on review sites you talk about?
did you click the link ?
Old 07-04-2012, 17:00   #161
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Quote:
did you click the link ?
Yes I did. And they are all genuine reviews, copied and pasted direct from customers e-mails. They aren't on a review site used to attract people to the site. You need to be on the site already to view them.
Old 07-04-2012, 17:32   #162
martyh

Quote:
I'm very suspicious of any product that has pages and pages of 5 star reviews, as most of them are often fake.

Quote:
Yes I did. And they are all genuine reviews, copied and pasted direct from customers e-mails. They aren't on a review site used to attract people to the site. You need to be on the site already to view them.
You may know they are real but no -one else does ,so following your advice i will assume the reviews on your site are fake or at least a large portion of them .
I was merely making the point that you cannot state other sites' reviews may be fake whilst insisting the ones on yours are not .
Anywhoo that's all off topic
Old 07-04-2012, 18:20   #163
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Quote:
You may know they are real but no -one else does ,so following your advice i will assume the reviews on your site are fake or at least a large portion of them .
I was merely making the point that you cannot state other sites' reviews may be fake whilst insisting the ones on yours are not .
Anywhoo that's all off topic
I can see what you are saying. But anyone who has seen my mattress advice site will see that unlike many retailers, I tell the truth.
Old 07-04-2012, 18:27   #164
martyh

Quote:
I can see what you are saying. But anyone who has seen my mattress advice site will see that unlike many retailers, I tell the truth.
i'm sure you do
Old 07-04-2012, 18:52   #165
rogerdraig
cf.mega poster

rogerdraig has reached the bronze age
rogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to rogerdraig

desalination is the key i know many will shout about cost and energy but as i see it its an excellent oppertunity for renewables from solar and tidal to produce the energy both electical and physical to run and pump the water

i refuse in a country surrounded by the stuff to limit my use of it

i rycycle and cut use of energy in my life and have ben doing so long before it was the in thing to do but this is just daft when we are an island
rogerdraig is offline   Reply With Quote