Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Old 21-11-2016, 13:37   #1306
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
Re: Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1701-e View Post
SCART sockets aren't round so that picture is inaccurate.
It doesn't say that it's a "scart socket" it says "scart". This is how Now TV's white box works - a small socket which can receive have an adapter cable plugged into it and then the other end of the cable goes into a scart socket in the TV.
In the case of the V6 though, it appears this functionality has been disabled anyway!
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-11-2016, 13:39   #1307
1701-e
EU citizen proud of it!

Services: TV 360 Maxit TV, Gig1 bb & a landline.....
1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one

Fair enough.
You'd wonder why a disabled connection is added to a new device.
Old 21-11-2016, 13:41   #1308
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1701-e View Post
Fair enough.
You'd wonder why a disabled connection is added to a new device.
Cost. I assume it's because in some markets it will be enabled and it's cheaper to manufacture one common design across several markets than have multiple versions.
Probably a bit frustrating if you want to use it with a SCART TV though.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2016, 14:29   #1309
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Oomph 600mb, XL TV, Sky Movies & Sports HD, Amazon Prime, Netflix UHD
Ultimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to behold

Using a 4K enabled V6 box through a SCART is madness anyway lol
Ultimate.Conj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 01:10   #1310
OhReally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate.Conj View Post
Unless of course that's all your telly is capable of...

...never mind what the eye can actually see
Old 22-11-2016, 08:24   #1311
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

As far as I know all TVs in last 10 years or so have come with HDMI.

It's not much different to when the existing TiVo dropped the aerial connection and only had SCART and HDMI.
Old 22-11-2016, 09:27   #1312
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:

Don't forget that many people will want a V6 for other reasons than 4k; it's faster, has 6 tuners and tablet streaming etc. 4k TVs are still a minority across TV ownership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhReally View Post
Unless of course that's all your telly is capable of...

...never mind what the eye can actually see

Scart won't pass HD. It is still useful for old equipment but is being killed off by the industry.

I agree on the 4k bit; have posted similar articles myself. But HDR is worth it and only available on 4k TVs.
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 09:35   #1313
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Why? There are probably other advantages to the box, such as speed of access, storage capacity etc.

4K makes little or no difference over 1080p unless you are watching on a large screen (possible over 100 inches) as most people cannot actually see the difference. Oh, they may say they see the difference, but I suspect that is as much to do with justifying the cost of the equipment to themselves as it is to do with any visible difference.

TV manufacturers developed 4k purely because it's easier to sell a high pixel count than it is to sell, say, more realistic colours. Purely because people see 4k vs 2k, and think higher is better. It's not so easy to put figures on colour reproduction. The only way I can think of is to use the colour temperature. This would cause most of the public to say "Whoa, colour doesn't have a temperature as it's to do with light, not heat", and isn't a good indicator of the difference between screens anyway.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 09:36   #1314
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Oomph 600mb, XL TV, Sky Movies & Sports HD, Amazon Prime, Netflix UHD
Ultimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
Don't forget that many people will want a V6 for other reasons than 4k; it's faster, has 6 tuners and tablet streaming etc. 4k TVs are still a minority across TV ownership.

Scart won't pass HD. It is still useful for old equipment but is being killed off by the industry.

I agree on the 4k bit; have posted similar articles myself. But HDR is worth it and only available on 4k TVs.
But why pay for a premium box and/or a premium TV package to only be able to watch SD channels? Just because the new box is faster and you can record a million hours of blurry SD programmes.

To get the best value out of the V6 you need a 4K tv connected by HDMI cable, not some chonky tv connected by SCART. I understand not everyone will have a 4K tv yet, but as a minimum you need a HD tv which are out there in abundance.

The point I'm trying to make is about getting the most out of the v6, not about what people can/cannot afford.

You wouldn't buy a Blu-ray player just to play normal DVDs.. The same applies to the V6.

Last edited by Ultimate.Conj; 22-11-2016 at 09:44.
Old 22-11-2016, 09:38   #1315
Kabaal
Haggis Hunting

Kabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of Quads

Even with an HDMI the only 4k content you'll be watching for the time being is via netflix and amazon anyway, neither of which require a V6. I do get your point about scart though, it's like insisting on still using VHS.
Kabaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2016, 09:48   #1316
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
Why? There are probably other advantages to the box, such as speed of access, storage capacity etc.

4K makes little or no difference over 1080p .
SCART and HD do not go together my friend.

---------- Post added at 09:48 ---------- Previous post was at 09:46 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabaal View Post
Even with an HDMI the only 4k content you'll be watching for the time being is via netflix and amazon anyway, neither of which require a V6. I do get your point about scart though, it's like insisting on still using VHS.
Yep, that's my point, Kabaal. I probably didn't word it very well.

I didn't mean to come across so brutal, sorry if I offended anyone. I just want people to get the most out of their box rather than using old tech but paying a premium

Last edited by Ultimate.Conj; 22-11-2016 at 09:51.
Old 22-11-2016, 12:33   #1317
passingbat
Inactive

passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
But why pay for a premium box and/or a premium TV package to only be able to watch SD channels? Just .

I wasn't talking about SD channels (that was separate reply). The vast majority of people have HD TVs and an upgrade to the V6, for the reasons I mentioned, make perfect sense to those who require those features. You don't need a 4k TV to enjoy the benefits of the V6. For those with 4k TVs, being a 4k box is an added bonus, that is not relevant to the vast majority of viewers. VM were right to make it a 4k box, because eventually all new TVs will be 4k.

But again, the main advantage of a 4k set is HDR, and not all 4k TVs support HDR. Does the V6 support HDR?
Old 22-11-2016, 12:52   #1318
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
I wasn't talking about SD channels (that was separate reply). The vast majority of people have HD TVs and an upgrade to the V6, for the reasons I mentioned, make perfect sense to those who require those features. You don't need a 4k TV to enjoy the benefits of the V6. For those with 4k TVs, being a 4k box is an added bonus, that is not relevant to the vast majority of viewers. VM were right to make it a 4k box, because eventually all new TVs will be 4k.

But again, the main advantage of a 4k set is HDR, and not all 4k TVs support HDR. Does the V6 support HDR?
Sorry mate, you've gone off on a tangent...my original post was regarding using a SCART cable for the V6. By using the SCART port, which is disabled anyway, you'd only be able to watch SD content. That's what I was getting at.

I agree with everything you say above though. If the V6 does support HDR I believe that is one up on the Sky Q which doesn't...I could be wrong though.

Last edited by Ultimate.Conj; 22-11-2016 at 12:55.
Old 22-11-2016, 13:09   #1319
passingbat
Inactive

Quote:
Sorry mate, you've gone off on a tangent...my original post was regarding using a SCART cable for the V6. By using the SCART port, which is disabled anyway, you'd only be able to watch SD content. That's what I was getting at.

I agree with everything you say above though. If the V6 does support HDR I believe that is one up on the Sky Q which doesn't...I could be wrong though.

The fact that I combined two posts together possibly didn't help things.
Old 22-11-2016, 13:21   #1320
JohnWB
Inactive

Services: Two V6 boxes, 200meg BB
JohnWB is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone know if you have to pay extra for the V6 box and / or renew your contract.

Also, will we all eventualy get new ones
JohnWB is offline   Reply With Quote