Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ADSL modem/router (bridge mode) + Cable router?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

PC to TV

Old 09-04-2012, 21:09   #1
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
PC to TV

Might be in wrong section here, so apologies if it is, can anyone tell me what cable etc i would need to view anything that i have on my PC to my TV, also is it fairly easy to do, i mean do i need some sort of sofftware on my PC to enable this.

thanks
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-04-2012, 21:36   #2
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Re: PC to TV

What ports do both items have, if you have a match (i.e. HDMI, SVGA etc) buy that lead and plug in.

On the TV you will need to go to the relevant AV channel

On the PC it depends, laptops have a Fn button and F5 on my acer to set the video output.
Old 09-04-2012, 21:45   #3
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Thx for that mate, appreciated.
Old 10-04-2012, 16:48   #4
Waldo Pepper
Inactive

Waldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation era

I have my desktop connected to a Samsung TV VGA port.
My advice is try and get a VGA driver for the TV as mine was a good picture but some text was difficult to read without it.
Waldo Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 18:07   #5
mark1234
Inactive

Services: Virgin TV XL, Broadband XL (60), Phone XL, Windows 7 Media Centre
mark1234 is a name known to allmark1234 is a name known to allmark1234 is a name known to allmark1234 is a name known to allmark1234 is a name known to allmark1234 is a name known to allmark1234 is a name known to allmark1234 is a name known to all

I have my Media Centre PC connected from the DVI output on the PC, via an adaptor to HDMI on the TV. Full 1080 resolution, no problems.

In history I've also used S-Video output on the PC to SCART on the TV, but it's not a brilliant experience.

It all depends what connectors you've got on your PC and TV. If you've got a pair that match, they'll be the easiest to connect.
mark1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 18:38   #6
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Just found out that my connection at the back of the PC is indeed a DVI output, and if i'm correct in understanding the above replies this cable would come with the DVI connection for the PC and the other end of the cable would be an HDMI connection? The only thing is i understand that this does not give sound, how do i go about the sound side of things?

Once again thanks for all the replies.
Old 10-04-2012, 18:51   #7
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

I used to go dvi to vga, which worked well picture wise, but obviously no sound. But now HDMI to HDMI (PC to AV), that way can't be beaten as you get full 5.1/DTS+ sound as well as perfect video.

If you're planning on watching films and have an AV then it's worth looking into graphic cards that can handle it.
Old 10-04-2012, 19:32   #8
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

So does this mean that i can connect the DVI end of the cable into the PC, then connect the HDMI end into a converter/adapter? and from there into my TV?

thanks
Old 10-04-2012, 21:22   #9
mark1234
Inactive

Services: Virgin TV XL, Broadband XL (60), Phone XL, Windows 7 Media Centre
mark1234 is a name known to allmark1234 is a name known to allmark1234 is a name known to allmark1234 is a name known to allmark1234 is a name known to allmark1234 is a name known to allmark1234 is a name known to allmark1234 is a name known to all

In simplistic terms the only difference between DVI and HDMI is the size of the plug, so you can easily convert from one to the other. My graphics card has a DVI output but also came with a DVI to HDMI adaptor. So I use that adaptor and a regular HDMI cable.

I originally went with the orthodox assumption that DVI meant no sound, so I connected my PC directly to some speakers, but I accidentally found out one day that DVI can carry sound. I'm not sure if all DVI outputs support this, or if I was just lucky. It's certainly worth trying.
mark1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 21:59   #10
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1234 View Post
In simplistic terms the only difference between DVI and HDMI is the size of the plug, so you can easily convert from one to the other. My graphics card has a DVI output but also came with a DVI to HDMI adaptor. So I use that adaptor and a regular HDMI cable.

I originally went with the orthodox assumption that DVI meant no sound, so I connected my PC directly to some speakers, but I accidentally found out one day that DVI can carry sound. I'm not sure if all DVI outputs support this, or if I was just lucky. It's certainly worth trying.
Thanks mate, its been a good help for me...