Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Tivo Hidden features that suck!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Tivo Hidden features that suck!

Old 19-03-2012, 14:15   #76
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
Re: Tivo Hidden features that suck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
Is this what you are basing it on.Virgin media Tivo help & support:-

More good news! We’ve been working with the BBC to launch Red Button services on TiVo and we’re hoping to start the roll out*in April. This service will launch a menu over BBC channels.
* PR speak for "coming soon" note the word HOPING

TiVo - "created by nerds for nerds Joe public was an afterthought ( I did not think anyone would want that syndrome) "
Your pessimism knows no bounds my dear chap.
Old 19-03-2012, 14:20   #77
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Services: 3 phone lines, 100mb broadband, and TV x2 (including one Tivo)
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze age
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze age

If you want to make suggestions about updates for the Tivo, then use this link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/VirginMediaTiVo
Tim Deegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2012, 14:21   #78
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by okun69 View Post
I've had a Tivo installed since December and can say in all honesty that in my opinion Tivo has only feature that sucks, and that is the lack of a dynamic EPG. The fact that we pay a premium for the EPG metadata makes it unbelieveable that this has not become a dynamic EPG!

I can see your point but I guess its a case of never had it so don`t really miss it. Also cannot say that I have ever had a problem because of the lack of it .However I fully agree with you - Over to you Carl

TiVo - "created by nerds for nerds Joe public was an afterthought ( I did not think anyone would want that syndrome) "
Itshim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2012, 14:31   #79
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Services: 3 phone lines, 100mb broadband, and TV x2 (including one Tivo)
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze age
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze age

Quote:

More good news! We’ve been working with the BBC to launch Red Button services on TiVo and we’re hoping to start the roll out*in April. This service will launch a menu over BBC channels.

In business you never use the word "will". Instead you use the terms "should", or "aim to". Because you never know what could happen, so if you say "will", then it could come back to bite you.

---------- Post added at 14:31 ---------- Previous post was at 14:24 ----------

I think some people on this thread are concentrating far too much on the negatives. It isn't a Sky box, so why do people expect it to be a copy, but with improvements?

How about concentrating on the positives, and then any additions could go as suggestions using the link I added.

By the way Itshim, I'm not a nerd, and my wife certainly isn't (in fact she can hardly find her way around a PC). But she loves the Tivo and many of it's features. And we both prefer it to the Sky+HD box.
Tim Deegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2012, 14:40   #80
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Deegan View Post
In business you never use the word "will". Instead you use the terms "should", or "aim to". Because you never know what could happen, so if you say "will", then it could come back to bite you.

---------- Post added at 14:31 ---------- Previous post was at 14:24 ----------

By the way Itshim, I'm not a nerd, and my wife certainly isn't (in fact she can hardly find her way around a PC). But she loves the Tivo and many of it's features. And we both prefer it to the Sky+HD box.
That does not negate my strap line. Do you fit in with afterthought ? I do. Sorry if you fail to see the humor

I never have had a SKY box so I am not compering it with one.

Also I am not the one saying it will happen in April. Please look again at other posts.

Itshim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2012, 17:44   #81
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Quote:
What PVR doesnt
Doesn't what? But that wasn't the point anyway

---------- Post added at 17:41 ---------- Previous post was at 17:39 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew View Post
But TiVo doesn't change channel at the start of a scheduled recording Carl, and you're fully aware of this as we've had this discussion before.
No, but the recording is there ready for you. and is just as easy to get to unless you're really, really lazy

Quote:
You're also fully aware of why some of us want reminders in addition to what's currently available and yet every time someone mentions reminders you "conveniently" forget every discussion on the subject and post your "I don't understand why people want reminders" spiel again.
I don't forget at all. If people don't mention it ever again, I won't. If they do, I will.

---------- Post added at 17:42 ---------- Previous post was at 17:41 ----------

Quote:

Yes, well. Delays can sometimes occur.

---------- Post added at 17:44 ---------- Previous post was at 17:42 ----------

Quote:
I've had a Tivo installed since December and can say in all honesty that in my opinion Tivo has only feature that sucks, and that is the lack of a dynamic EPG. The fact that we pay a premium for the EPG metadata makes it unbelieveable that this has not become a dynamic EPG!
I have managed since 2001 without a dynamic EPG and have only regretted not having one on a handful of occasions.
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2012, 17:48   #82
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
That is a reason why I do not want TiVo as it is. To have to pay for an epg that takes 24 hours to be updated in this day and age is quiet frankly ridiculous.
alwaysabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2012, 17:58   #83
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

And yet we (Tivo owners) have managed (mostly) perfectly well without one. I wonder how?
Old 19-03-2012, 18:06   #84
Lew
Inactive

Services: VIP50, TiVo
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array
Lew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze arrayLew has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring View Post
No, but the recording is there ready for you. and is just as easy to get to unless you're really, really lazy
Or want to watch a live event, but you knew that already.
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2012, 18:16   #85
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
And yet we (Tivo owners) have managed (mostly) perfectly well without one. I wonder how?
Well you obviously do not record live sports events which is what you suggest everyone else does, as you would know full well that you have either the end missing off the live event or if you want to record a program that immediately follows the live event you will have nothing
alwaysabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2012, 18:37   #86
kop32
cf.addict

Services: Sky Q Silver, 2 x mini boxes,VM 150mb broadband and VM phone with anytime calls.
kop32 has reached the bronze age
kop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze agekop32 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Perhaps then your used to settling for second best Carl?,I on the other hand am not (I record live Football etc)
kop32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2012, 18:42   #87
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

This discussion reminds me of Sayre's Law...
Quote:
"In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake."
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2012, 18:44   #88
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star
devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star

Record live sports? People must lock themselves away so that they do not hear the results I always wondered why it said (If you do not want to know, Turn the radio/Tv down now?)

Got my coat
devilincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2012, 19:12   #89
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew View Post
Or want to watch a live event, but you knew that already.
So when you see the recording light come on, start watching the recording. But you knew that too.[COLOR="Silver"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysabear View Post
Well you obviously do not record live sports events which is what you suggest everyone else does, as you would know full well that you have either the end missing off the live event or if you want to record a program that immediately follows the live event you will have nothing
Which is why it asks you if you want to add an extra hour onto the live event; assuming you haven't told it not to ask. Or just add padding yourself.

Personally, I'd much rather have it recorded as a back anyway; in case I get a phone call, or have to go out, or just want to watch it again.[COLOR="Silver"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilincarnate View Post
Record live sports? People must lock themselves away so that they do not hear the results.
Nothing to stop you watching the recording from the second it starts.
Old 19-03-2012, 19:13   #90
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star
devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star

Lew and Carl sitting in a tree K.I.S.S.I.N.G ?

Sorry it just seems like you two seem to having a lovers tiff
devilincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote