Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Are books better than the movie?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Are books better than the movie?
View Poll Results: Are books better than the movie?
Yes 24 52.17%
No 5 10.87%
Sometimes 17 36.96%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 16-07-2005, 22:02   #16
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
Re: Are books better than the movie?

I nearly always try to do both mind you. Read the book AND see the film. I can't say as I try and do it in any order tho.

I think it's interesting to read a book where the film is more loosely based on the book - eg do androids dream of electric sheep. Or I, robot.

The first time I saw a film/series and thought I MUST read the book - was The Stand. Then a coiuple of years later I got the uncut version and it was even better

p.s. I'm STILL citing the tommyknockers as a case in point where the film/series was better than the book.
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-07-2005, 22:03   #17
Xaccers
Inactive

Xaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny stars
Xaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny stars

Depends on the book and the film.
Enigma for instance was better as a book.
Planet of the apes however was better as a film (either version), however being worse than the book in that case would be quite hard!
Xaccers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2005, 22:09   #18
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Book....usually.

The thing with movie adaptations is that they pretty much have to leave out a lot of stuff which was in the book, due to time contraints.

(plus they're often crap anyway!)

Although...

I prefer the movie versions of LotR to the books, simply as they're more accessible.

And, although the original novel of Silence of the Lambs is excellent, the movie version is pretty damn excellent too.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2005, 22:34   #19
homealone

both are as good as they are - but I prefer reading the book then seeing the movie - 2001 Space Odyssey being the prime example, for me, if I had watched that film without reading the book, I would have been very confused
Old 16-07-2005, 22:38   #20
Mal
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media
Mal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny star
Mal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by homealone
both are as good as they are - but I prefer reading the book then seeing the movie - 2001 Space Odyssey being the prime example, for me, if I had watched that film without reading the book, I would have been very confused
The book of that was written at the same time as the film. (Well according to the introduction in my copy). So the film didn't technically come from the book and vice-versa.
Mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2005, 22:46   #21
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal
The book of that was written at the same time as the film. (Well according to the introduction in my copy). So the film didn't technically come from the book and vice-versa.
The idea was developed from The Sentinel - a Clarke short story. It was interesting to see how the idea developed into the film/novel
Old 16-07-2005, 23:18   #22
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by makikomi
I read Tom Clancy's "Clear and Present Danger" and thought it an excellent read. The film was a big disappointment. Too many cliches, and strayed too far from the original story.

All the Clancy movies have been quite poor when compared to the books.

Only one I think is really any good is The Hunt for Red October...brilliant film, although still not as good as the book (& misses *a lot* out).

Hmm. Some other book to film adaptations...

The Godfather - excellent book & excellent (1st two) movies.

Jurassic Park - excellent book, OKish movie (great special FX, but v poor adaptation of the book).

Sin City - excellent graphic novel, excellent movie.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2005, 23:34   #23
Mal
Inactive

Mal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny starMal has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilligaf1701
The idea was developed from The Sentinel - a Clarke short story. It was interesting to see how the idea developed into the film/novel
I didn't know that. I just went by what was said in the introduction, that the novel 2001 was made at the same time as the film.
Old 17-07-2005, 00:08   #24
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal
Quote:
I didn't know that. I just went by what was said in the introduction, that the novel 2001 was made at the same time as the film.
As I understand it, Kubrick and Clarke wanted to work together. They went through Clark's back catalogue to find a good story to work from, then picked on "The Sentinel", and started to expand the story. They used the same basic plot, but Kubrick wrote the film (with help from Clarke), and Clarke wrote the book. As such, I believe they are slightly different interpretations of the same story.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2005, 00:21   #25
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal
If you want to read it, you can get it (and some other short storys) from here...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...420301-2371662
Old 17-07-2005, 11:26   #26
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

It totally depends on the movie and book. Some movies miss a lot of information out from books as it would be so hard to cram everything in.
I think that you learn more about charactars, their lives, and feelings, in books. Some films can work really well from book to film, but a lot miss out several parts that are in the actual books.

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2005, 11:42   #27
Jules
Inactive

Services: Don't have a clue any more.
Jules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny stars
Jules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny starsJules has a pair of shiny stars

Does any one else find it really annoying when you read a great book then see the film and the story is totaly different to the book!
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2005, 13:37   #28
Mal
Inactive

Quote:
If you want to read it, you can get it (and some other short storys) from here...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...420301-2371662
Thanks for that. I might give it a go.
Old 17-07-2005, 22:49   #29
Graham
Inactive

Graham has a nice shiny star
Graham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny star

I voted "sometimes" because, as others have mentioned, some films, eg 2001 are better than the books, but, generally I'd go for the book.

There again, when you have films "based" on books (eg Blade Runner based on Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep) often the two versions are so majorly different that, whilst they may be very good, they are effectively non-comparable.
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2017, 01:14   #30
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules
Does any one else find it really annoying when you read a great book then see the film and the story is totaly different to the book!
No because THE MOVIE has its own identity!!

Who says the movie has to be 100% like the book? It doesnt... I voted NO on the poll.....
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote